Better Run in a Year - Jones (2011) vs Rua (2005) (Per Request)

It's close but the fact Shogun beat 2 top guys in the same night puts him over Jones IMO.

All the old fucks who think that anyone who didn't watch MMA when it sucked is a noob will say Rua 2005, but Jones 2011 is the obvious answer.

Nothing worse than a Jones-noob.

Jones by a mile and to close the circle he smashed shogun himself.

All the old fucks who think that anyone who didn't watch MMA when it sucked is a noob will say Rua 2005, but Jones 2011 is the obvious answer.

Scared little boy here..

It's ok buddy, we won't hold your stupidity against you cause you don't know any better...

The way jones destroyed shogun will forever stay in my mind... It was the final beating to say the new breed has made its mark on the LHW division.

Jones had the bigger and more dominate wins. At no point was he ever in trouble in those fights

Jones IMO.

Both are great though.

Starching Shogun, Rampage and Lyoto consecutively is amazing.

Jones IMO.

Both are great though.

Starching Shogun, Rampage and Lyoto consecutively is amazing.

A fine point but I'll give you the other side. Startching Jackson, Overeem, and Arona, while also beating Lil Nog in a 6-month period is equally as impressive (if not mor so) but I hate the argue greats vs greats.

This is true but I juxtapose this with the fact that Shogun's fights overall were more competitive during his run.

If Jones indeed beat people "over the hill" he made sure to let it show in his fights. There was not a point at which Jones looked remotely challenged by anyone he fought (though some will cry Machida round 1).

Shogun finished Rampaged, Overeem, and Arona in the first round. TKO/KO.

Jones:
Bader 2 rounds
Shogun 2 rounds
Rampage 4 rounds
Machida 2 rounds

Shogun finished Rampaged, Overeem, and Arona in the first round. TKO/KO.

Jones:
Bader 2 rounds
Shogun 2 rounds
Rampage 4 rounds
Machida 2 rounds

Remember that first-rounds were 10-min rounds.

Please everyone.... they're both awesome. Even-stevens because there is NO way to truly quantify one over the other.

A fine point but I'll give you the other side. Startching Jackson, Overeem, and Arona, while also beating Lil Nog in a 6-month period is equally as impressive (if not mor so) but I hate the argue greats vs greats.

*4 months (April 23, 2005 to August 28, 2005).

Shogun also beat Hiromitsu Kanehara in 2005 :D

Remember that first-rounds were 10-min rounds.

Please everyone.... they're both awesome. Even-stevens because there is NO way to truly quantify one over the other.

Rampage and Arona were both finished within 5 minutes.

Haha you make a good point also.

Both are great, wish i would have voted barely since that's more realistic.

Jones by a mile...

Although I was not around in the MMA world in 2005.. I've certainly watched all the fights but cannot attest to how it was as it happened, I'm sure it would of been a lot different.

Wish that I was an MMA fan during the peak of the PRIDE era. I can watch all the fights now, yeah, but it's not the same.

Rua fought the best of pride. We didn't know that they were not really the best. Jones fought a few of them, as well as top notch Fighters and destroyed them....including Rua. No real need to ask whose run was really the best. It's obvious.

Rua by a mile. Like others have probably said, he beat the better competition in a shorter amount of time, when his opponents were arguably at their best.

Back