Better overall Hip Hop artist: El-P or Kanye West?

ghostz06 is black and i think strychnine is too for the record. I think we can get to at least 10.

[YT]WFY2kJ96jNY[/YT]

but no not really

yeah...i sorta figured i was the heavy minority on this site. i know mah guy who post in the heavies is mother earths natural night camo but thats about it.

shit, lil empowering tbh. but skurry

Def Jux fanboys stuck in 2009 will act as if El and Kanye shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

But really, in their hearts, they know the answer is Kanye.

Mike and El are great as RTJ, and both have respected work as solo artists (especially El as a producer), but neither of their respective works compare to Kanye's career.

I'm a fan of Kanye, not so much his later work, but his work from Blueprint through to Graduation is damn near flawless. MDBTF was a great album too.

But El-P is responsible for what is my favourite hip-hop album of all time. The Cold Vein. His solo albums are all classics, RTJ is the best thing in hip-hop right now, Company Flow was insanely dope and Def Jux would be my second favourite hip-hop label behind Rhymesayers.

So yeah, I'm going with El.

ghostz06 is black and i think strychnine is too for the record. I think we can get to at least 10.

WHAT ABOUT ME GUYS

OP question is actually tougher than it appears. I think people get wrapped up in Kanye's ego and personality to the point where they can't objectively critique his work. That said I have almost all of El-P's albums but only Dark Fantasy from Kanye, so for me I guess the answer's obvious.

Kanye is on another level production wise. I haven't really listened to a whole lot of el-p but I listened to that Run The Jewels album and the beats are super bland compared to anything from the beginning of Kanye's career to now. Kanye's sound design is much better and it's musically more interesting and dynamic. El-P's stuff seems random soundclouder tier to me.

I don't rate Kanye very highly as a rapper but I also don't care for El-P so I don't even know in that regard.

Cans don't know how sampling works, lol.

Def Jux fanboys stuck in 2009 will act as if El and Kanye shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

But really, in their hearts, they know the answer is Kanye.

Mike and El are great as RTJ, and both have respected work as solo artists (especially El as a producer), but neither of their respective works compare to Kanye's career.

Impact? Obviously. Quality wise? I don't agree. A lot of Ye's material hasn't aged well, and early on, his lyrical abilities and content were good, to bad... Nothing exceptional.

I think the Cold Vein is more creative beats wise than anything Ye has ever done and Ye relies I samples heavily. Sometimes they're almost Bad Boy era lifts.

Kanye pretty clearly but El is the shit too. El just hasn't ever come close to an album as good as Late Registration, Yeezus, or MBDTF. His best work is probably with Killer Mike but it's not on Kanye's level.

El-P has made some of the best music I've heard in recent years with RTJ and some of his solo stuff.... which I can't really say about Kanye as of late.

They're both high level producers and distinctly different with their sounds. I think Kanye is clear cut the better rapper when he's on his game and not giving into the ego-maniac Kardashian freakshow he's become. Although, I personally prefer El-P's crazy ass beats and random lyrics.

Never heard the Huzzah remix, lol.

Ye's beats on Yeezus were dancehall lite, wannabe Saul Williams Ziggy Stardust era bullshit that even took sounds from Ratatat that's about five years old, lol.

So modern. So... Not creative.

Ye's verses on Yeezus were a fucking joke. The whole album.

Never heard the Huzzah remix, lol.

El's verse on that is great when you first hear it, then it begins to feel like novelty. I find myself enjoy eXquire and Danny Brown's verses the most on that song these days. El's an underrated rapper though and that verse is a good example of his writing ability.

El's verse on that is great when you first hear it, then it begins to feel like novelty. I find myself enjoy eXquire and Danny Brown's verses the most on that song these days. El's an underrated rapper though and that verse is a good example of his writing ability.

Can't take shit you type seriously anymore. Noted. I think I realized this a while ago though.

Ye's beats on Yeezus were dancehall lite, wannabe Saul Williams Ziggy Stardust era bullshit that even took sounds from Ratatat that's about five years old, lol.

So modern. So... Not creative.

Ye's verses on Yeezus were a fucking joke. The whole album.

I disagree. I think if it resembles anything sonically, it's more akin to Death Grips' "Government Plates" but of course, there's a lot of Justin Vernon-influenced autotune segments and Big Sean-esque braggadocious rap. Kanye really absorbed all of his surroundings and channelled it into a very outside-the-box but still very Kanye album. Same goes for 808's and Heartbreak, IMO.

I disagree. I think if it resembles anything sonically, it's more akin to Death Grips' "Government Plates" but of course, there's a lot of Justin Vernon-influenced autotune segments and Big Sean-esque braggadocious rap. Kanye really absorbed all of his surroundings and channelled it into a very outside-the-box but still very Kanye album. Same goes for 808's and Heartbreak, IMO.
tumblr_lwq40sRvU01r8jtbzo1_400.gif

A lot of Ye's material hasn't aged well

Yikes...most of Ye's material has aged extremely well. late reg and grad have aged very very well.

MBDTF is timeless. goes without saying

808s has aged very well and is a winter album classic.

Yikes...most of Ye's material has aged extremely well. late reg and grad have aged very very well.

MBDTF is timeless. goes without saying

808s has aged very well and is a winter album classic.

I think this thread was made specifically to fuck with SA. He hates Kanye and sucks Def Jux dick so vigorously he's probably broken his nose a couple times on Aesop Rock's pelvis. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out SA is really Rob Sonic.

808's and Heartbreak is one of the most influential rap albums of the past decade. Half of today's rappers wouldn't be going for the melodic sound they have if Kanye didn't re-bridge the gap between rap and R&B with 808's.

I think this thread was made specifically to fuck with SA. He hates Kanye and sucks Def Jux dick so vigorously he's probably broken his nose a couple times on Aesop Rock's pelvis. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out SA is really Rob Sonic.

808's and Heartbreak is one of the most influential rap albums of the past decade. Half of today's rappers wouldn't be going for the melodic sound they have if Kanye didn't re-bridge the gap between rap and R&B with 808's.
Gold
Literally nothing but facts in this post.

Back