Better HW gatekeeper: Kongo or Nelson?

That depends on how you define gatekeeper, if you define it as someone that you would have to beat to be considered top 10 I would say Nelson as he always seems to be just outside the top 10. If you define gatekeeper as a guy you have to beat to be considered top 15-20 I would say Kongo.

Nelson is a much tougher gatekeeper. Kongo almost lost to Pat Barry and had a close fight with Mitrione, neither of who belong anywhere near the title. He put up no resistance to Hunt. Nelson loses lopsided decisions to contenders and everyone else he beats decisively.

Last edited:
Where is Frank Mir in this discussion? I've said he's THE UFC HW gatekeeper for 3 years now. This is the guy whose claims to fame are going 1-1 against Brock Lesnar and beating washed up shells of Nog and Crocop. The guy got throttled by Shane Carwin, who is basically done at this point. Frank Mir is not a top 10 HW, period.

Gatekeepers don't fight for the title. Also he never fights anyone trying to break into the top 10. You need to actually gatekeep to be a gatekeeper.

Nelson I'd say, he really lacks any glaring weaknesses so anyone who beats him normally needs to show a pretty high skill level.

Kongo is arguebley a bit more of a threat standing(yes Roy has power aswell but rarely lands it on quality opponants) but has a much clearer weakness on the ground.

Nelson would beat Kongo so I say him. With that said Nelson is really overrated.

If you can get past the giant silverback, you are in. King Kongo ftw.

Nelson is the better fighter but Kongo better defines gate keeper. He beats all the fighters that don't belong in the UFC and loses to the ones that go on to be contenders.

I'd go with this.

Kongo is poop when on the floor. He will never has or will excel in the UFC, because of this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back