Better HW gatekeeper: Kongo or Nelson?

AldoIsP4PKing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These two are the two best gatekeepers in the HW division. But who is the tougher gatekeeper?
Other than split decision losses, Kongo has only lost to Mir, Velasquez, and Hunt decisively. He also had a draw with Travis Browne, but he would have won if it wasnt for the point deduction. He has notable wins over Mitrione, Cro Cop, Barry, and Shawn Jordan.
Roy Nelson has only lost to Mir, JDS, and Werdum, which were all very decisive. He has notable wins over Struve,Cro Cop, Mitrione, and Schaub.
So, who is the better gatekeeper and does anybody consider either of these two actual contenders.

I really wouldn't consider Roy Nelson a gate keeper, the guy has been losing weight and looking good.

Roy Nelson is the better fighter by far in my opinion.

nelson and thats all he will be in the ufc maybe he should go to bellator

Nelson, but not by much.

Nelson and Kongo should fight soon enough.. they are gate keepers and thats what they do.

Why not have them fight and find out?

Nelson is the better fighter but Kongo better defines gate keeper. He beats all the fighters that don't belong in the UFC and loses to the ones that go on to be contenders.

Nelson. But some might not even consider him a gatekeeper.

These two are the two best gatekeepers in the HW division. But who is the tougher gatekeeper?
Other than split decision losses, Kongo has only lost to Mir, Velasquez, and Hunt decisively. He also had a draw with Travis Browne, but he would have won if it wasnt for the point deduction. He has notable wins over Mitrione, Cro Cop, Barry, and Shawn Jordan.
Roy Nelson has only lost to Mir, JDS, and Werdum, which were all very decisive. He has notable wins over Struve,Cro Cop, Mitrione, and Schaub.
So, who is the better gatekeeper and does anybody consider either of these two actual contenders.

Roy Nelson a gatekeeper? So someone who JDS could NOT finish is a gatekeeper? Don't think so.

Roy Nelson a gatekeeper? So someone who JDS could NOT finish is a gatekeeper? Don't think so.

So lasting 3 rounds with JDS makes you above a gatekeeper?

Would you say since Brookins lasted 3 rounds with Aldo he's a contender too?

Roy is tough as nails. He's a gatekeeper though. No shame in that. His power is fierce.

I would say nelson, tho I dont see him as a gatekeeper
But if Kongo and Nelson fought, maybe Kongo could pull the win if he stayed on the outside picking nelson apart !

Nelson is a gatekeeper in the sense where if you want a title shot you shouldve beaten nelson prior to the # 1 contender fight. I would consider kongo a gatekeeper also hes a good fighter but i believe nelson is better.

Nelson is gatekeeper for around the top 5. Kongo is more of a gatekeeper for the top 10.

Nelson is gatekeeper for around the top 5. Kongo is more of a gatekeeper for the top 10.

that's not how the concept of a gatekeeper works? am i going crazy here?

under this^ you could have a gatekeeper for a title shot? bollocks mate.

Nelson is better, I'd only consider him a 'gatekeeper' in the sense that he is on the edge of top ten - he's a gatekeeper to the HW top ten. Same as some consider Mir a gatekeeper but really he is only a gatekeeper to the truly elite HW.

Guess it comes down to your definition. I don't really rate Kongo at all any more.

Eh I think they're both more journeymen than "gatekeepers." They've both been top 15-10 at various points. I see Mitrione as more of a gatekeeper.

Back