Better HW gatekeeper: Kongo or Nelson?

Nelson is far better.

Tough to say if you just look at each guy's last 10 fights, but Nelson has been much improved since entering the UFC. He'd never lose to Arlovski or Monson these days. Kongo peaked in 07-08 and hasn't become any better of a fighter since because he has no ground game. He can't compete against anyone other than a striker, and on top of that he's been out-struck alot lately(Barry, Hunt, Mir).

Cheick Kongo isn't a gatekeeper anymore. his skills have diminished so much since the Mir/Cain losses, i don't think he's even gatekeeper level anymore. especially now since he lost to Mark Hunt.

Nelson strikes me as a solid gatekeeper though. beat guys like Herman, Struve, Schaub, and Mitrione, and got absolutely annihilated against Werdum, Mir, and JDS.

Where is Frank Mir in this discussion? I've said he's THE UFC HW gatekeeper for 3 years now. This is the guy whose claims to fame are going 1-1 against Brock Lesnar and beating washed up shells of Nog and Crocop. The guy got throttled by Shane Carwin, who is basically done at this point. Frank Mir is not a top 10 HW, period.

Where is Frank Mir in this discussion? I've said he's THE UFC HW gatekeeper for 3 years now. This is the guy whose claims to fame are going 1-1 against Brock Lesnar and beating washed up shells of Nog and Crocop. The guy got throttled by Shane Carwin, who is basically done at this point. Frank Mir is not a top 10 HW, period.

please explain how Frank Mir is not a top 10 HW. i know you can't, evidenced by how you have absolutely zero idea as to what you are saying, but your response should be amusing at the very least.

Nelson.
Also, he is a level above being gatekeeper

Mir is one level up for a gate keeper but he's not getting the belt again.

Nelson is the perfect gatekeeper. He has no top 10 wins but looks dominant against new prospects.

Kongo is below him because he is inconsistent and often wins by stalling.

It seems like lots of people have an issue with Nelson being a gatekeeper but he is certainly closer to that than a contender. JDS, Mir and Werdum all proved that Nelson isn't on the top tier. Nelson is tough but was outclassed in those fights. Nelson is firmly planted on some level outside the elite.

Nelson's a far, far better fighter. He probably will not contend for the title but he's just off the pace. Kongo is a mid-level gatekeeper.

I don't think you can call Roy a gatekeeper until someone below him beats him. Until then hes just a contender who loses the big ones.

Big Country would wreck Kongo's chin, it would be ugly. Roy's only lost to Top 10s in the UFC

Some people seem to be misunderstanding the term gatekeeper. Its not necessarily a bad thing to be. Gatekeepers are essential to the UFC. There are also several levels of gatekeeper around. Kongo would be a gatekeeper on a slightly lower level than Roy Nelson. Roy is the absolute definition of a gatekeeper to the HW elite.

These two are the two best gatekeepers in the HW division. But who is the tougher gatekeeper?
Other than split decision losses, Kongo has only lost to Mir, Velasquez, and Hunt decisively. He also had a draw with Travis Browne, but he would have won if it wasnt for the point deduction. He has notable wins over Mitrione, Cro Cop, Barry, and Shawn Jordan.
Roy Nelson has only lost to Mir, JDS, and Werdum, which were all very decisive. He has notable wins over Struve,Cro Cop, Mitrione, and Schaub.
So, who is the better gatekeeper and does anybody consider either of these two actual contenders.

Very equal. I have them 12 and 13.

Lots of people consider them contenders every time either wins a match, but they're hype train riding fools. Both have been improving slightly, but are too experienced to make any giant leaps, and are both getting old and due to start declining from that, before long.

Roy for sure. This would be a solid fight. I would actually have Roy stopping Kongo within 2 rounds.

Nelson is far better.

Tough to say if you just look at each guy's last 10 fights, but Nelson has been much improved since entering the UFC. He'd never lose to Arlovski or Monson these days. Kongo peaked in 07-08 and hasn't become any better of a fighter since because he has no ground game. He can't compete against anyone other than a striker, and on top of that he's been out-struck alot lately(Barry, Hunt, Mir).

I agree with most of this, but he has enough of a ground game that he basically tries to grapplefuck anyone he thinks he can. I'd love to see Nelson knock his block off.

Back