Better ground game Judo or BJJ?

NeXtBiGThingGSP said:
I am a purple belt in BJJ and i have a friend who trains me in Judo and In any discussion about martial arts ground fighting the question always comes up whats better Judo or JiuJitsu and some people say "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" others say "There the same thing" but i personally feel Judo is a more dominant martial art.

BJJ just sticks to the ground,Judo you do throws and some schools do a little bit of stand up

What do you guys think is better and why ?

You're not a purple, are you?

BJJ, I'm a judo black belt, and I was tooled on the ground by a BJJ blue belt.

NeXtBiGThingGSP said:
I am a purple belt in BJJ and i have a friend who trains me in Judo and In any discussion about martial arts ground fighting the question always comes up whats better Judo or JiuJitsu and some people say "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" others say "There the same thing" but i personally feel Judo is a more dominant martial art.

BJJ just sticks to the ground,Judo you do throws and some schools do a little bit of stand up

What do you guys think is better and why ?

who gave you your purple?

I'm guessing no one and im also guessing your full of shit.

I think a BJJ purple-Belt wouldn't make this thread... Plus judo is more Sports oriented than being a martial Art. BJJ is more M.A. oriented today at least than judo. Yes judo is better for stand up throws, BJJ is by far better on the ground-work. Yes there are Judo practitioners that are Very strong on the ground but they belong to a small percentage, in most cases a BJJ blue-belt would submit on the ground a Judo BB.

p.s.
I got my purple last summer.

Butcher101 said:
If you were comparing traditional jj to judo, then yeah you would be right. IMO what makes bjj better is that, its evolved, where as judo is still is what it was 200 years ago, still take downs using the Gi which is stupid, in ancient japan everyone wore Gi like clothing, so the take downs were easy to do.

Judoka can be very strong if they took the time to bring their sport up to date, take Karo for example, he owns. I think that both sports, Bjj/jj and judo should get rid of Gi for good, cause its useless.

judo isn't 200 years old brother.

I prefer BJJ, it has better submissions I think.

Newverse said:
belt progression in judo is a lot quicker, which might make the top level BJJ BB's more elite..

I must disagree with this. I think it really depends on the school and the way you train. I don't think you can put it so simly.

Hohenheim said:
Judo is more about throws and depends to much on the gi, while BJJ is more about submissions and finishes.

BJJ has better ground game than Judo
no, bjj practitioners usually have a better ground game. judokas just don't put the same amount of focus on their newaza.

At my judo school, we are taught to go for a pin over a submission. That may be why BJJ submission is better, becuase that is how they win.

Of course, Judo is going to have better take downs. That is another way for them to win.

Just think about the type of competition they are going to be practicing for.

dapunisher said:
who gave you your purple?

I'm guessing no one and im also guessing your full of shit.

word...

1. your friends train judo and you're a bjj purple belt...why don't you go train with them?

2. you're a purple in bjj and say judo is a superior art. i think "different" is the word someone with your experience and insight would use. if you think its superior, why arent you studying judo?

3. i find it hard to beleive that you've never rolled with a judoka in your 4-5-6-7 years or grappling. i probably roll with at least 1 guy with some judo experience every week.

4. for someone with your experience this is a stupid fucking thread...bjj academies spend assloads more time on the ground than most judo dojos and all submissions are legal - submission is the only ippon in bjj (sorry if im totally misusing that word). in judo, most schools spend the majority of their time on the feet, only chokes and elbow attacks are legal in competition, and you can win by perfect throw, pin, or submission...if we're comparing average practitioners, which one do you think has the better ground game?

Guards said:
There will be counter-arguments by those in the BJJ community, but Kimura DID defeat Helio(broke his arm because Helio would not tap, saying he was fine until his arm was broken in two places and he had to be hospitalized...), Yoshida has defeated Royce(Royce saying he was fine... Yoshida was concerned about the lack of resistance and called the Ref, Royce later said he was 'Resting', and chose to stop resisting during a choke. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/video/GracieYoshida.wmv ) , Yasuichi Ono choked out Helio's brother, Jorge.

As I said, BJJ has also defeated Judo, but in general I prefer Judo, as stated above it is a much more 'diverse' art with more that is practiced than strictly ground techniques. The general demeanor of high level practicioners from each art is something I respect more from Judo than from BJJ artists as well.
Wow 3 fights out of what? 500?
I think BJJ is superior on the floor and judo better standing. I train with Judokas. Im a white belt and i give Judo Black Belts a hard time. Judo has the pins which are probably the gayest stuff ever and tend to use the turtle position without defending the hooks or the neck.

Flibb said:
Wow 3 fights out of what? 500?
I think BJJ is superior on the floor and judo better standing. I train with Judokas. Im a white belt and i give Judo Black Belts a hard time. Judo has the pins which are probably the gayest stuff ever and tend to use the turtle position without defending the hooks or the neck.

You need to train at a better Judo club.

Soulfly said:

You need to train at a better Judo club.

not possible because its one of the few bjj classes in city and its in a judo club.

Which is better?

Jeet Kune Do vs Krav Maga
Kenpo Karate vs Koyushin Karate
Taekwondo vs Tang Soo Doo
Greco Roman wrestling vs Freestyle Wrestling

I grappled a brown belt judo girl who weighed almost as much as me. It was a walk in the park although she was a girl..

I've trained BJJ as a Judoka brown. Although initially tricky to get the "feel" of it (ie; being more comfortable on on your back, not giving your back) - after adapting I find little trouble at all with the whites I've fought - in fact I find the oranges & upwards at my judo club tougher. Both BJJ club & my judo club are good, strong clubs.

As always, it is more the individual player than the game.

Back