Better ground game Judo or BJJ?

N

NeXtBiGThingGSP

I am a purple belt in BJJ and i have a friend who trains me in Judo and In any discussion about martial arts ground fighting the question always comes up whats better Judo or JiuJitsu and some people say "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" others say "There the same thing" but i personally feel Judo is a more dominant martial art.

BJJ just sticks to the ground,Judo you do throws and some schools do a little bit of stand up

What do you guys think is better and why ?

It has been a very long time since I took Judo but I have studied both BJJ and Judo and feel that BJJ is superior. My main problem with Judo is that it relies too heavily on the gi. I remember trying to use judo in street fights as a kid and felt absolutely lost without a gi to grab.

The important thing, though, both Judo and BJJ have their strengths. Best case is to learn them both.

Judo emphasizes throws and submissions and BJJ specializes in leverage and submissions.............hmmmm your Post is like asking which is sharper a knife or a sword..........I think Judo is more effective for larger or heavier people whereas BJJ is efficient for people smaller in stature In the One Match that I have seen Judo vs BJJ (Gracie v Yoshida 1) Royce looked in control but was eventually "choked"...........

so to answer your question........they both have similiar origins (BJJ comes from Judo) and I think that one is not better than the other

NeXtBiGThingGSP said:
but i personally feel Judo is a more dominant martial art.

BJJ just sticks to the ground,Judo you do throws and some schools do a little bit of stand up

What do you guys think is better and why ?

If you were comparing traditional jj to judo, then yeah you would be right. IMO what makes bjj better is that, its evolved, where as judo is still is what it was 200 years ago, still take downs using the Gi which is stupid, in ancient japan everyone wore Gi like clothing, so the take downs were easy to do.

Judoka can be very strong if they took the time to bring their sport up to date, take Karo for example, he owns. I think that both sports, Bjj/jj and judo should get rid of Gi for good, cause its useless.

Well i'm a brown belt in Judo who has started training BJJ. I have a couple of observations. Obvioulsy i'm training BJJ to further improve my ground game. BJJ in my opinion is a lot more technical with the gi and has a lot more moves. However, Judo teaches explosiveness on the ground whereas BJJ practitioners tend to be more methodical (this makes Judo pretty good for no-gi). The reason for this is because in Judo when you go to the ground you have very little time to roll before they stand you back up. BJJ guys obviously have a larger arsenal on the ground but Judo guys in my opinion are just as good, if not better with arm bars and chokes (being that it is the only submissions allowed in Judo). It's kinda like a boxer versus a kickboxer. Kickboxers have more weapons but a boxer will have better hands 90% of the time. Which is better? Depends which is better for you I think.

How can you feel that Judo is more dominant MA than BJJ (as far as MMA goes) is beyond me; there is simply no factual proof for this assertion. As far as ground game goes it

Judo is more about throws and depends to much on the gi, while BJJ is more about submissions and finishes.

BJJ has better ground game than Judo

Hohenheim said:
Judo is more about throws and depends to much on the gi, while BJJ is more about submissions and finishes.

BJJ has better ground game than Judo

what do mean when u say better ground game? what makes a better ground game?

They are good in conjenction with one another, the transition is easy.. if I were to choose one, It would depend on what needed more work, my groundwork, or my initial takedown and setup.. I think they are a strong combination together, truthfully, Brasilian Juditsu..

Butcher101 said:
If you were comparing traditional jj to judo, then yeah you would be right. IMO what makes bjj better is that, its evolved, where as judo is still is what it was 200 years ago, still take downs using the Gi which is stupid, in ancient japan everyone wore Gi like clothing, so the take downs were easy to do.

Judoka can be very strong if they took the time to bring their sport up to date, take Karo for example, he owns. I think that both sports, Bjj/jj and judo should get rid of Gi for good, cause its useless.

1. judo isnt that old it was founded in 1882.

2. every judo school ive ever worked with has "no gi" days. and on top most schools teach body grabs such as around the back and around the head as well as traditional sleve and lapel grips. 9/10 of judo throws will work without a gi by adjusting the grip. watch yoshida silva 1. silva was all sweaty and wearing fightshorts and still managed to get thrown in uchi mata.

3. using a gi is part of tradition for the first part but more than anything it makes your techniques stronger. most (not all) BJJ instructors who train both ways will insist on the gi training to set the base for the techniques. there are a few articles out there about it but the short n sweet of the matter is working with a gi will make you sharper and teach you proper defense instead of relying on being able to slip out of bad situations. also if you are looking for a real life aspect most of the time if you do end up in a street brawl or fighting someone in some public place they have normal clothes on which makes for great grip maybe not as good as a gi but still different than bare chest. the cuffs and neck ring of any normal t shirt wont tear away very easily when pulled on and will work just fine if you try to choke somoene using it.

4. before the flames begin. i train BJJ and JUDO. personally the judo though less effective on the ground is overall more complete. defending a takedown and taking ppl down is fairly important and few BJJ schools spend much time at all practacing takedowns at length. an awesome ground game will win you a fight no doubt but if you get dropped on your noggin hard its quite possible that you dont react as quickly as normal or see the openings you normally would. both are awesome and both have good and bad points but overall its what works for you, what makes you happy in your training that matters.

belt progression in judo is a lot quicker, which might make the top level BJJ BB's more elite..

Suvorov said:
How can you feel that Judo is more dominant MA than BJJ (as far as MMA goes) is beyond me; there is simply no factual proof for this assertion. As far as ground game goes it

I want to know who all these people getting into street fights are. I don't remember ever getting into any kind of fight when the other guy didn't have a shirt or jacket on. Not that I would be helpless if they were, because I train with no gi... but I don't ever remember any fight where the guy wasn't wearing a top.

That being said, unless they are bald, a good handfull of hair makes for a good grip and a swift kick in the balls does wonders for kuzushi.

I will repeat something I said on one of the many, many threads that is similar to this one.

Judo's ground game isn't typically as well developed as BJJ's. Why? Cause they typically don't train it as much. BJJ's throws and take downs arn't typically as strong as Judo. Why? Cause they typically don't train it as much.

Now, that being said, lets say you found yourself a nice Kosen Judo school that spends as much time on the ground as a BJJ school. Who would be better then? Hard to say, probably just as good (more or less BJJ and Judo are collections of the same techniques), but different. The main difference being that Judo has pins, BJJ doesn't. Even a Kosen school will train to pin, and so probably have a different paced game, and far more techniques attacking and turning the turtle position. Where as a BJJ school will continue to have a lot more game from the back.

Oh, and for the guy that said that JUdo has better arm locks and chokes than BJJ... In general I'd have to dissagree. Though those are your only finishes on the ground from what I've seen Judo spends way too much time on standing to equal the amount of time that a bjjer spends even on those two techniques. Perhaps they are better at exploding into them, but over all I don't think so.

bjj has a better ground game of course.
it's all most schools do, so i'd hope they get better.

during my randori, I finish 75% by submission. so not all judo teachers are the same.

BJJ, they generally spend much more time on the floor.

The ultimate answer comes in saying that they are practically the same thing, and ONCE AGAIN the fighter makes the art, the art only modifies the fighter. We can argue all day without providing factual evidence about which art on the ground is going to be better, and we can say the BJJ will always win over Judo because that's what you guys think, but fact of the matter is, there are BJJ grapplers that can beat some of the best Judo guys in the world...

And there are recorded stories of Judo guys defeating some of the best BJJ practicioners in the world. Depending on which schools you work with, you will get different results. Depending on your physiology and preferences, you will train and learn different than anyone else.

There will be counter-arguments by those in the BJJ community, but Kimura DID defeat Helio(broke his arm because Helio would not tap, saying he was fine until his arm was broken in two places and he had to be hospitalized...), Yoshida has defeated Royce(Royce saying he was fine... Yoshida was concerned about the lack of resistance and called the Ref, Royce later said he was 'Resting', and chose to stop resisting during a choke. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/video/GracieYoshida.wmv ) , Yasuichi Ono choked out Helio's brother, Jorge.

As I said, BJJ has also defeated Judo, but in general I prefer Judo, as stated above it is a much more 'diverse' art with more that is practiced than strictly ground techniques. The general demeanor of high level practicioners from each art is something I respect more from Judo than from BJJ artists as well.

Yoshida Interview Re. Royce Gracie: http://www.pridefc.com/interviews/yoshida_10/yoshida_dec.htm

Royce interview Re. Yoshida: http://www.pridefc.com/daily/2003/12/1001.htm

Back