Beterbiev vs Bivol June 1st in Saudi ESPN+

Who wins ?

• Total voters
What evidence is there that Beterbiev is past his prime? This shouldn't just be assumed due to his chronological age, every fighter is different.
I think all he means is that Artur is past his physical prime years which typically end in a fighter's early 30s. That doesn't mean he isn't getting better though skill-wise. He's even more crafty and versatile than ever.

The only fight where it looked like Artur might be slowing down was against Yarde but he was in against a much younger, highly athletic, specimen. But, after Artur's last performance, I just think that he had an off-night against a tough stylistic match-up. He arguably looked the best that he ever has against Smith in his last fight.

I think all he means is that Artur is past his physical prime years which typically end in a fighter's early 30s. That doesn't mean he isn't getting better though skill-wise. He's even more crafty and versatile than ever.

The only fight where it looked like Artur might be slowing down was against Yarde but he was in against a much younger, highly athletic, specimen. But, after Artur's last performance, I just think that he had an off-night against a tough stylistic match-up. He arguably looked the best that he ever has against Smith in his last fight.
I don’t even think there’s much evidence he’s past his physical prime. Again, we can’t just default to chronological age. As far as I can tell, Beterbiev is still in his physical prime. That doesn’t mean it won’t fall off a cliff when his time comes, but we have to judge it based on what we’ve seen. Physically Beterbiev looked just as good against Callum smith as he did against Callum Johnson 6 yrs ago, perhaps better.

I don’t even think there’s much evidence he’s past his physical prime. Again, we can’t just default to chronological age. As far as I can tell, Beterbiev is still in his physical prime. That doesn’t mean it won’t fall off a cliff when his time comes, but we have to judge it based on what we’ve seen. Physically Beterbiev looked just as good against Callum smith as he did against Callum Johnson 6 yrs ago, perhaps better.
I think Artur actually looked better physically against Callum Smith than he did against Callum Johnson. For one he looked quicker and he was able to get inside on Callum Smith with ease. His feet are underrated. But yeah, Artur's devoted to his religious lifestyle which consists of dedicated training, clean eating, proper sleep, and no partying. This alone could extend his physical prime. I haven't seen any physical decline yet.

Also, a reminder to those picking Bivol that it was actually Artur who was the better amateur boxer. People tend to forget. He's a former 2× Olympian & world champion.
Artur.jpg

Artur2.jpg

What evidence is there that Beterbiev is past his prime? This shouldn't just be assumed due to his chronological age, every fighter is different.

Common sense! He’s 39 years old, he’s almost certainly outside his physical prime. Are there any other current dominant champs close to his age?

In a fight between 2 ‘elite’ fighters, where small margins are likely to be the difference, age could absolutely be a factor.

Common sense! He’s 39 years old, he’s almost certainly outside his physical prime. Are there any other current dominant champs close to his age?

In a fight between 2 ‘elite’ fighters, where small margins are likely to be the difference, age could absolutely be a factor.
Well 39 is different for everyone. Beter is and always has been built different so yeah he might have a loss of reflexes but I just don’t see this guy looking any different than we’ve always seen him come june

You’re confusing “peak” with “prime”. A fighters athletic prime is a window of time it’s not any given moment. Beterbiev might not be at his peak, but he could very well still be in his prime. What you’re doing is reasoning by analogy, “most fighters are past prime by 39 therefore Artur must be past prime”. It’s a logical fallacy to think that way. Every athlete is different, Lebron’s prime was far longer than Larry Bird’s. I say again, look at the evidence don’t just go off age. What evidence is there based on his performances that Beterbiev is past prime?

Well 39 is different for everyone. Beter is and always has been built different so yeah he might have a loss of reflexes but I just don’t see this guy looking any different than we’ve always seen him come june

The difference is the guy standing in the opposite corner. Hes levels above everyone beterbiev has fought since Gvozdyk. He’s got better feet and is quicker than anyone he’s fought as a pro. Losing a bit of speed/reflexes could be the difference in winning/losing in this fight. So age could absolutely be a factor. It will be used as an excuse if he does lose (by boxings fans that is)

The difference is the guy standing in the opposite corner. Hes levels above everyone beterbiev has fought since Gvozdyk. He’s got better feet and is quicker than anyone he’s fought as a pro. Losing a bit of speed/reflexes could be the difference in winning/losing in this fight. So age could absolutely be a factor. It will be used as an excuse if he does lose (by boxings fans that is)
If Artur does lose then I could see some boxing fans using his age as an excuse after the fight. However, it won't be me. I'm picking him not only to win but to stop Bivol. On the other hand, if Bivol loses some boxing fans might say that he was always too small and/or lacked pop. That'll be why he lost.

If Artur does lose then I could see some boxing fans using his age as an excuse after the fight. However, it won't be me. I'm picking him not only to win but to stop Bivol. On the other hand, if Bivol loses some boxing fans might say that he was always too small and/or lacked pop. That'll be why he lost.

Yeah we already know the excuses from a section of whatever fanbase are on the losing side. Boxing fans being typical boxing fans!

Well I’m hoping Artur gets it done one more time so he gets his signature performance. I’m not expecting him to look old but we all fade eventually. Can’t say Bivol cherry picked a shot fighter because Beter never looked shot or even slightly in any real trouble in any recent fights. He’s been pretty damn consistent. No excuses for a guy like that.

Well I’m hoping Artur gets it done one more time so he gets his signature performance. I’m not expecting him to look old but we all fade eventually. Can’t say Bivol cherry picked a shot fighter because Beter never looked shot or even slightly in any real trouble in any recent fights. He’s been pretty damn consistent. No excuses for a guy like that.
Nobody could call it a cherry pick since it's against an undefeated knockout machine in an undisputed title fight. The only knock on Bivol is that he waited him out. They were in no rush to make it since they knew that time isn't on Artur's side. Realistically we should've seen this fight several years ago.

I gotta say on a personal level this may be the best boxing card ever! Even Willy Hutchinson vs spider Richards (the most low key fight in the card) should be a really good, competitive fight.

Outside of the 2 main fights We’ve got 2 genuine top 10 unbeaten MWs facing off, hrgovic vs Dubois will probably be for the ibf title. Nick ball vs anyone is gonna be a great fight and that’s also a world title fight.

What could this be a reference to? Bivol has a weakness that Beterbiev is privy to? Weak to the body? Carrying an injury?
I think it has something to do with them sparring in the past. It could be that Bivol's been knocked out before. Possibly even by Beterbiev himself.

Back