Best TDD: Penn or Barboza?

Prime BJ was the GOAT. I love Prime BJ. Damn fuck this shit I get really emotional and nostalgic....love you BJ

10001753.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_5.gif
I can't believe old, welterweight BJ was able to take it to jon Fitch like that. Great fight & very underrated. I hate that Penn still can't let it go & retire.

Didn't he take Hominick down when he was tired? I don't recall Hominick shooting for a TD
I think Mark got one in the 5th round. Its the only time I remember Jose being held down for a significant period of time. I think he was sick before that fight or had a bad weight cut or something.

I love watching Aldo, and I seriously think his TDD is insane. But I look at Aldo and Penn as similar size guys, Penn MAYBE a little bigger naturally, and there is no way I see Aldo fighting off a prime GSP's take downs for a full round. The way Penn used to stuff GSP and Hughes was just on another level entirely. Penn is Goat TDD.

BJ is smaller than Aldo, Aldo might be an inch shorter but he has more mass. BJ didn't even cut weight when he first started in the UFC, he just wouldn't eat on the day of the weigh ins

I think Mark got one in the 5th round. Its the only time I remember Jose being held down for a significant period of time. I think he was sick before that fight or had a bad weight cut or something.
You are correct I remember now. People were talking shit about his ground game because he just kept guard didn't try any offense from his back because he tired. That hematoma is legendary though

Penn pre-Frankie. One of few who could have the opponent get a clasped hands single leg and defend the takedown. Sometimes they even lift him off the ground off one fight then land on his one leg and get underhooks

Stop being a condescending fuck, Ferg is a State Champion and National Champion wrestler in his college days. No shame in getting taken down by him

The conversation is comparing to B.J.'s TDD though.

B.J. fought off the likes of GSP, Sherk, Edgar, Fitch and Hughes.

They don't even have much wrestling credentials but they have the performances to prove their wrestling.

Ferguson is nowhere near those guys in terms of TDs and he took down Barboza.

Last edited:
Penn pre-Frankie. One of few who could have the opponent get a clasped hands single leg and defend the takedown. Sometimes they even lift him off the ground off one fight then land on his one leg and get underhooks

He had a severely underrated takedown game too.

In the first Edgar fight, he went 2/3 in take downs.

He was 2/3 against Fitch.

He didn't go for it much but he got it when he went for it.

Aldo vs Penn would be a better comparison.
In which case the answer is Aldo. That TDD vs Edgar...goddamn. It was flawless. Edgar went 0 for 11 in their last fight and Aldo made it look easy.

In which case the answer is Aldo. That TDD vs Edgar...goddamn. It was flawless. Edgar went 0 for 11 in their last fight and Aldo made it look easy.

Edgar went 1/13 against B.J. in their first fight.

Let me know when Aldo defends against a wrestler like Hughes and GSP.

Edgar went 1/13 against B.J. in their first fight.

Let me know when Aldo defends against a wrestler like Hughes and GSP.
You mean someone like Edgar, Mendes or Lamas? Or would you require Aldo go back in time to face Hughes and GSP (two WWs) in order to be convinced?

Even after all this time, Penn fans are still the fucking worst (next to Jones fans, of course).

Why dose People say that Barboza has great TDD? havent seen all his fights but is he that good of a TDD artist?

Watch the Hominick fight.

That wasn't a legit takedown. aldo I believe was throwing a kick and missed or hominick caught then took aldo down. but hominick didn't just take him down. Aldo stayed there, cause there was only a minute left in the fight and he had dominated every second up till that point...

Penn, back in his prime he was a nightmare for one dimensional wrestlers.

Back