best takedown art to go with bjj

A

alexgncw

sorry if this has been done to death already but what arts that work a lot on takedowns does everyone think work best with bjj

judo, freestyle wrestling, greko roman wrestling, sambo, etc

judo is practiced the most in bjj schools for takedowns for the simple reason that a lot of the takedowns used put you in perfect positions for subs but i know a lot of people including myself who believe wrestling is still superior as far as takedowns go so what does everyone think...

From my experience, wrestlers have some very good takedowns. Hopefully when the seasons over for wrestling at my school I'll have better takedowns.

For no-gi, if you are already doing bjj then get some wrestling.

gi - judo
no gi - wrestling

not really much more that you can say

Yeah, always great when you throw some guy in gi competition, you just run the risk of the guy countering it and getting your back if you fuck up .

greasemonkey said:
Yeah, always great when you throw some guy in gi competition, you just run the risk of the guy countering it and getting your back if you fuck up .

Yeah you have to be careful of that. Of course, not every throw requires you to give up your back. I generally stick to ashiwaza (leg-techniques) for bjj standup.

Cojofl said:
gi - judo
no gi - wrestling

not really much more that you can say

I'd think that would be obvious too, and am almost suprised we don't see somebody claiming that wrestling is the best takedown art for bjj because that's the way some champion trained.

What about Greco?

I'm really interested in learning that art

Greco isn't really that great, if you're planning on using it for anything other than wrestling. Leg attacks are forebidden, as is any contact with the legs period. Freestyle has all the same techniques, but you also learn to shoot and sprawl, which I'd say is vital.
That being said, because leg attacks and defences are banned, you do get some big cool looking throws.

no gi/mma wresting
gi from what I have seen, sambo seems to be great.

Freestyle wrestling. All of those throws can be done with a gi on and work great w/o a gi in any situation.

I personally like Judo.

self defense Judo.... hard to find, but it exists.

In my experiance alot of the wrestlers are good at Takedowns from the outside like shooting in with single and double leg takedowns but the Judo guys like to get in close and tie you up and get in hip tosses and judo throws.

Just a little insight from captain obvious.

ANYTHING is better than posting the question here and waiting for a response!

go train takedowns...in judo, wrestling, or both. the best takedown art to go with bjj is the one that suits you most. (location, price, uniform, style, instructors, intended use of art)

Wrestlers appear to have an advantage at low crouch clinches, but in standing clinches Judo appears to have the upper hand. in MMA, standing clinches are very common...so again...it depends on your own circumstances.

Back