best takedown art to go with bjj

TheHighlander said:
I'd think that would be obvious too, and am almost suprised we don't see somebody claiming that wrestling is the best takedown art for bjj because that's the way some champion trained.

Judo is good, but we have a very seasoned judoka at our club and the pattern I often see is they posture back once they've completed the throw rather than follow through to the ground. Could just be she's new at BJJ as not all judoka are like that obviously... but she's brilliant at judo.

I say wrestling personally as it applies to gi and no gi. That however, doesn't change that I still want to learn more judo where I can.

- J.

IMO freestyle wrestling, as it can teach you takedowns in which you don't even need to bother passing the gaurd, or have it go hand in hand.
next best thing IMO would be grecoroman, but you may have to pass more there.

Ronoldo Jacare Souza is like a 5 time world BJJ champion and ADCC champion. He trains Judo and wrestling

GuardGame said:
Ronoldo Jacare Souza is like a 5 time world BJJ champion and ADCC champion. He trains Judo and wrestling
one of THE best takedown artist of all time. Period

Nova Uniao said:
one of THE best takedown artist of all time. Period

Dude, i know, trust me! Hes my idol. I hope to have a style similar to his along with his takedowns. Hes just amazing.

Judo is good, but we have a very seasoned judoka at our club and the pattern I often see is they posture back once they've completed the throw rather than follow through to the ground. Could just be she's new at BJJ as not all judoka are like that obviously... but she's brilliant at judo.

Turning the back once completing the throw is very much judo-ish. The idea is not to give one's back to the opponent, but to make that last twist in order to get the opponent on his/hers back. She's just new to BJJ. In judo it doesn't matter because if you do a throw like that you win.

You can't really go wrong with Wrestling, Judo or Sombo.

I would probabaly give the edge to freestyle wrestling for takedowns if I had to pick just one, but they'll all do the trick.

wrestling but judo has alot to offer too. Greco roman is good too.

Why dont Sambo get no loving???

Coolest shit on the planet, sambo throw straight into a leglock = better than sex...;)

if you're in high school/college deffinitely wrestling, if not you're probably going to have to settle for judo

^^^I wish I would have wrestled this year, thats ok, I'll wrestle junior and senior year

There is a difference you realize

Yes, I know you have an excellent instructor who is very old school, but so have I and there's only one judo. There are differences in how different clubs practice the sport/art/whatever , but there's still only one judo. It really makes me angry how people categorize things.

Back