Best submission artist from the bottom?

Yeah I figured it would be used more of a sweep to get to position or a threat. Kinda like Kimura's now. Garry tonnon has gotten some subs from there. His last fighter subbed a pretty good pancrase vet with a heel hook.

Yoshiki's defence wasn't that solid for it but he got him none the less. He kinda fucked up like Penn did when Hall tapped him.

Yeah and Tonon is obviously among the best in the world with them. You can drill it a ton but when the best guys lock it in so quickly...good luck.

This. Know how we know? Because very few in his UFC career have gone into his guard. That isn't by accident, fighters avoid it like its COVID.

They're not avoiding his guard, he always uses bottom position to sweep or take the back, that's what they're avoiding. Who knows how good his guard is, but he doesn't seem very keen to use it so it's a big no from me.

c64115a3c55f5051d44535ee26cdd139.jpg

Jason McDonald repeatedly jumped into Demian's guard like he thought he was Jacare. Such an awesome fight, even if it was a dumb strategy.
Athletes can do that

It's hard to put Hall as one of the best considering he really hasn't subbed a lot of high-level guys in the UFC yet. He subbed Penn sure but like, cmon. Penn hasn't had a serious training camp in 10 years and is washed up. Ortega is good but does he get a lot off his back?

technically, the question isn't "who has the most submissions from the back"? it's "who's the best"?. in my opinion, those three are the most talented off their back

technically, the question isn't "who has the most submissions from the back"? it's "who's the best"?. in my opinion, those three are the most talented off their back
Fair enough but he hasn't done really anything off it. Hell he struggles to get people into his guard a lot let alone sub guys with it.
Aoki, Maia and Big nog always found a way to get people into their guard. Hall is more of a taekwondo guy at this point.

Hate to repeat myself but I'd pay asking price on a bout between Ferguson and the ever evolved Oliveria. I also currently believe they're 1-2 behind bhibster at 155.

One of the sickest mma fights that can be made right now.

Fair enough but he hasn't done really anything off it. Hell he struggles to get people into his guard a lot let alone sub guys with it.
Aoki, Maia and Big nog always found a way to get people into their guard. Hall is more of a taekwondo guy at this point.

\I guess because I've followed Ryan hall's grappling career since he started I've seen his skill set and believe he's as talented as anyone off his back. he's only had 9 mma fights, so yeah it's hard for me to prove my argument at this time.. oh well.... oh yeah\, I forgot a out shinya aoki. he's clearly proven his bottom submission game over n over. thumbs up

\I guess because I've followed Ryan hall's grappling career since he started I've seen his skill set and believe he's as talented as anyone off his back. he's only had 9 mma fights, so yeah it's hard for me to prove my argument at this time.. oh well.... oh yeah\, I forgot a out shinya aoki. he's clearly proven his bottom submission game over n over. thumbs up
Hall has potential and is with a great team at Tri star. I think he has a ton of potential. His grappling is obviously tough but his striking is just as unorthodox. Featherweight is a strong ass division, pretty much second only to lightweight. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Jason McDonald repeatedly jumped into Demian's guard like he thought he was Jacare. Such an awesome fight, even if it was a dumb strategy.

That is my fav MMA/BJJ fight. I was going to footnote Jason, he deserves mad props.

He got third place in No gi world championship both as a brown belt and as a black belt...
He beat AJ Agazarm a big name in grappling... Benson is a decent world level grappler.

So no.. he didnt "always" lose.

Touche
yea, always probably wasn't the best word to use there

Back