• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Jiu jitsu compliments...

-WTF just happened (sweep)
-Any strength related comment
-That was sick

Please don't throw me hard.
How long have been training again?
You're only xxx llb? you feel heavier than xxxxx
Fucking Judo guy
Fucking wrestler

i'm 47 years old and 148 lbs. after smashing bigger, younger, stronger guys; i often get asked , "how much do you weigh?" usually followed by "there is no way, you are 47 years old." - old man strength is real! lol

This thread is still going? One of my teammates came up to me last night at the bar our team was watching Nate fight. He was almost crying. He was so happy that I was "beating his ass" on the mat. His infant child is in the hospital fighting for his life.
Making someone's life a little better is a great compliment.

always roll with a smile...
i usually say " well that didnt work", "dammit, missed", "well didnt see that coming", or just plain ole "fuck"...

You're strong.
You're getting better.
Good roll.
- I have a few weeks experience in jiu jitsu.

When you sparring partner is like "nice" when you hit a sweep or attack an armbar

Another fun one is right after you hit a sweet move or unexpected counter, and you get the "that's some bullshit right there"
Makes my night

The other day I was told that I move like a featherweight, consider it a compliment since I'm about 220 lbs

Last week I was sparring with some guy from another gym, visiting and I took him down and submitted him quite a few times.

He asked, what weight class do you fight in? So I'm like "70." (155lbs)
And he's like "Over 70?".
So I'm like "No, below 70."
He responds "No fucking way you weigh under 70."
So I laugh and tell him "Yes.". Next question "But, you're what? A black belt?"

Best compliment ever. I'm a blue belt in BJJ but primarily train no-gi grappling, so I do compete in elite (purple and up) class. But I'm far, far, far from a black belt, so it was quite the compliment :)

This was in Judo, not BJJ, but I can share my best moment.

I was the only one to show up one day during summer break, the coach was waiting for other people to arrive, nobody did. I just sat on the mat in zazen for 20 minutes, waiting. Finally, he walks up to me and says "you really wanna train today, don't you?". I said yes, very much. He grumbled a bit but smiled and went to change into his gi.

We trained 2hrs straight, went over all Ogoshi and Osoto variations plus a few holds. Marvelous experience, training that people pay big money for - the guy's an 8th dan, 11-time national champ, former Olympic coach. When we were done he was very pleased with me and said: "you can go straight for orange now". I was only a whitebelt at the time - probably the happiest whitebelt in town! :)

And I still remember most of what I learned on that day - 7 years ago!

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Here's a great compliment. The sherdog powers that be gave me new life. My lost account has been found!

One of the best compliment I ever got was from Steve Maxwell when I was a White Belt.

I was down in San Diego during 2009 for our association tournament (Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu Association) and I caught a class at the University of Jiu Jitsu he was teaching.

We rolled after class and he told me that I was 'very technical'. I felt very honoured by his compliment.

Having a brown belt from another school ask me if I was a blue or purple after we rolled to a stalemate. (4 stripe blue at the time, belt was really faded)

For me it's the look on someones face when we roll at the end of class. The high level guys smile because they know we're about to go at it.

The lower level guys look like they know they are in for some shit. But I take it easy when I feel I can dominate. No need to just smash someone.

I also do not like the "your strong" or anything else related to that. I very rarely use my strength to an advantage vs. weaker opponents. I think it's more of an ego thing.

"You have a foot fetish" is my new one to add to this thread.

Back