• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Jiu jitsu compliments...

Being a pesadissimo, for me it's always a huge honor when people compliment my speed, agility, or fluidity - particularly as those are aspects I am constantly trying to improve on.

But I get a lot of "man, you're fast for such a big guy" or that kinda thing, it's good feedback for me as it lets me know that what I'm doing to improve it is probably working.

respectful nod trumps all words for me. at least thats what i give out when i think somebody is legitsu.

Or you call them Lo level then as they are about to get mad you say you meant Leandro Lo. seriously, that is a kind of inside joke at my gym.

I think it's a good sign when the gym names a move after you. Either that, or it's an indicator that it's time to expand your arsenal.

I also think the incredulous "wtf just happened to me laugh" is a pretty high compliment as well.

I also think the incredulous "wtf just happened to me laugh" is a pretty high compliment as well.
Ha yep that's always cool. I've also done that laugh a few times lol. Had a guy actually say that to me recently though after I pulled off a sweet choke I saw one time from Keenan.

i like to show up at F12 friends' gyms and throw up in the alley in the back...

i like being asked not to hunt for certain submissions or drill certain throws. that's how i know they're working.

" You're really flexible"

I still get confuse by the fact that aggression and activity are good in Judo, wrestling and kickboxing but bad ib BJJ

When im rolling with guys who are a lot better than I am and I feel like I'm just getting shredded, I get a lot of "dude you're tough". That always lessens the blow for me a bit.

Someone calling you a casca grossa is probably one of the best compliments I can think of

You've got fantastic hips ?

Oh wait, that was wrestling :D

You have solid wrestling always puts a smile on my face! I wrestled 1 year in high school!

"XXX local black belt has beautiful flowing Jiu Jitsu. Your style is more like Wet Cement."

Me - "Huh?"

"You fill in the small gaps that are left open, and once you get set. I'm FUCKED"

"How can I get better?"

It means they have a high enough opinion to ask you that question and also care more about their own development than just getting a workout in.

"I have to put on my best game against you when we roll"

When a higher belts tell me this, its the highest compliment I can get.

My best compliment was from a few of my training partners who are technically better than me, i noticed they were doing really well at not letting me pass their guard. So i complimented them on their guard, since it was not as hard to pass in the past. The response was the same for both of them: yeah man, i cant let you pass because when you get top control i'm screwed.

Back