• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Jiu jitsu compliments...

After rolling with a blue belt's newbie friend, I heard the blue belt say to his bud "See? I told you, next level."

Strange but flattering to find you've been the subject of other peoples conversation.

I got put into a nasty shoulder lock but stuck it out.
Until I could feel my shoulder separating, then I gave up.
The compliment: "Dude, you're flexible! I'd have tapped way sooner."

My high pain tolerance has actually been more of a hindrance than a help.

I got put into a nasty shoulder lock but stuck it out.
Until I could feel my shoulder separating, then I gave up.
The compliment: "Dude, you're flexible! I'd have tapped way sooner."

My high pain tolerance has actually been more of a hindrance than a help.

Gotta be honest - as a middle age guy, this makes me cringe. I'll fight a choke as long as I can, but once the joint is locked up I tap. I already fucked up , no since making it worse by waiting to long to tap.

Gotta be honest - as a middle age guy, this makes me cringe. I'll fight a choke as long as I can, but once the joint is locked up I tap. I already fucked up , no since making it worse by waiting to long to tap.
My problem was that by the time I felt like I was in trouble, I was actually in too much trouble. After a short fall while rock climbing, my shoulder started to separate if I reached for something too high with that arm, loose as a goose.

I was even weaker when I started bjj. I get happy when someone calls me strong. Another compliment I like is when someone says the roll was educational.

I was even weaker when I started bjj. I get happy when someone calls me strong. Another compliment I like is when someone says the roll was educational.

I'm a big guy, but I don't lift weights, and I'd embarrass myself if I went into a gym. I cant get anywhere close to my body weight on the big compound lifts. When guys say I'm strong, especially the ripped monsters, it makes me feel great

"Thank you!" - I do not care about tapping someone myself anymore, but I really enjoy when I teach someone a technique and it starts working for him.

Marcelo Complimented me after a match after beating on of his guys. ( at the time i didnt know who he was still in a daze from the match) "Your one tuff guy"

the usual is "I didn't think you were that strong" ( im usually the smallest looking person in my division)

and the Why are you still "insert belt level" ive gotten that since a white belt.

The simple "How'd you do that?" or "Show me what you did there" is always cool, especially from higher belts.

It's cool in a couple ways, one that someone better than you thinks you have something to offer them, the other that someone usually much better than you is humble enough to ask for something.

Jiu jitsu is a hell of a thing.

I got told last night flat out, "you're good."

:rolleyes: White belts are so easily impressed.

You have solid wrestling always puts a smile on my face! I wrestled 1 year in high school!
I had two guys ask me yesterday if I had a wrestling background. No one from Houston has a wrestling background.

"XXX local black belt has beautiful flowing Jiu Jitsu. Your style is more like Wet Cement."

Me - "Huh?"

"You fill in the small gaps that are left open, and once you get set. I'm FUCKED"
Nate is like wet cement-- he's a level 5 clinger.

I always enjoy being told I have beautiful jiu jitsu by purple belts and up.

One purple belt couldn't stress it enough when we we're drilling sweeps and asked me "Where's your gi? Who taught you and what are you, purple?"
I'm a No Gi guy, the only rime I consistently went to grappling classes was with a Team Wand fighter who was the instructor; he said in No Gi I'm probably as good as a high purple or just reached brown and that was 6 or so years ago.

My my most recent former instructor who's a black belt saw me RNC his purple belt bro and said "Stay cal- oooh...He's just way too strong, huh? Can't get him off you, right?" he would know since I've RNC'd him too and when I did the first time he got happy for me and mad at me at the same time- he spent a good portion of a sparring round hunting chokes and wouldn't roll with me anymore to defend his pride I guess. Sucks, I could've used more hands on help from him.

I also enjoy the "how do you know so many moves? I thought you said you aren't even a white belt, just an MMA guy?"

I usually get that after chaining sub after sub after sub and etc.

There's also "Very smooth/fluid" "So/very strong/fast" or "Deceptive strength &/or speed"

When someone tells me "you're so long" (referring to my arms and legs reach) I'll jokingly cover my crotch and feign embarrassment, might even throw in a "ahh man, it was random I swear, why didn't you tell me?"

I hope no one says that after I lock in a triangle, I might get tempted to use an even less funny and dirtier joke...
"It didn't touch your mouth...did it?"

I always enjoy being told I have beautiful jiu jitsu by purple belts and up.

One purple belt couldn't stress it enough when we we're drilling sweeps and asked me "Where's your gi? Who taught you and what are you, purple?"
I'm a No Gi guy, the only rime I consistently went to grappling classes was with a Team Wand fighter who was the instructor; he said in No Gi I'm probably as good as a high purple or just reached brown and that was 6 or so years ago.

My my most recent former instructor who's a black belt saw me RNC his purple belt bro and said "Stay cal- oooh...He's just way too strong, huh? Can't get him off you, right?" he would know since I've RNC'd him too and when I did the first time he got happy for me and mad at me at the same time- he spent a good portion of a sparring round hunting chokes and wouldn't roll with me anymore to defend his pride I guess. Sucks, I could've used more hands on help from him.

I also enjoy the "how do you know so many moves? I thought you said you aren't even a white belt, just an MMA guy?"

I usually get that after chaining sub after sub after sub and etc.

There's also "Very smooth/fluid" "So/very strong/fast" or "Deceptive strength &/or speed"

When someone tells me "you're so long" (referring to my arms and legs reach) I'll jokingly cover my crotch and feign embarrassment, might even throw in a "ahh man, it was random I swear, why didn't you tell me?"

I hope no one says that after I lock in a triangle, I might get tempted to use an even less funny and dirtier joke...
"It didn't touch your mouth...did it?"

Being a no gi guy wearing a whitebelt is fun isn't it?

So far the only negative elements to this situation i've noted are: People never roll light the first time around, especially in open mats, and random colored belts feel the need to stop mid spar to show you techniques when you are going light and or recovering from injuries.

Being a no gi guy wearing a whitebelt is fun isn't it?

So far the only negative elements to this situation i've noted are: People never roll light the first time around, especially in open mats, and random colored belts feel the need to stop mid spar to show you techniques when you are going light and or recovering from injuries.

lol, yeah, I can't wait to see how my game evolves the next time I'm committed to a grappling class. Right now it's No Gi Jitz with rapid pace changes and a Catch mentality/heart.

I sometimes absolutely hate the attempts at stop and teach during rolling- fucking wait til the end of the round at least.

The not sparring light doesn't bug me as much, unless they wait til I'm winded and they're fresh to go all out. That's an insult to me not a compliment due to the intentions.

Last edited:
When you finish training stand up and someone asks you "how long did you train judo for?"

"You're really strong".

Oh no, hang on that actually means "you only beat me because you're bigger".

"You are strong" is typically a negative. However, a somewhat notable black belt once wrote on my Facebook timeline "strong ass mother f^*ker". He beat me by an advantage in competition. I got a laugh and took it as a compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back