best guard-game in the world

m3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
which of the BJJ players do you think have the best guard game in the world?
Im thinking in terms that the guy is almost guaranteed to submit if the gets the closed guard, and his open guard is dangereous and unpassable...
im particulary interested in someone who hasnt been passed in like a whole mundial tournament or several...
Romulo Barral seems to have a wery good guard-game, oh and BJ penn has an awesome guard, starting fights not by pulling closed/half guard but just sitting down....

I heard Rillion Gracie was meant to have the best guard in the gracie family. I have no idea what his guard is like thou.

Marcelo Garcia's open guard is pretty darn good.

Roger Gracie's guard is also above average. :)

^^^
True. That's not really his game. He sweeps or sits out. But his guard is a bitch to pass, unless he is gassed/has broke rib--you pick.

Pe de Pano, Braulio, Robson, Roger Gracie ... all have sick guards.

PdP and Braulio are my personal faves. I like that lazy, super-technical open guard.

As far as undefeatable guards, PdP was pretty close but Margarida rampaged over him.

You can't forget Nino Schembri. His extreme flexiblity helped him have a great guard, and made him one of the better finishers in sport BJJ.

I haven't seen anyone work butterfly/hook guard better than Leo Santos.

And, I know it's gonna be an unpopular choice, but I'm gonna add Eddie Bravo. I think he does some great things with his guard. I can't help think how bad it would suck to be in his guard.

Yea, because the guard only means submitting, also MMA is the same thing as BJJ!
Right. Except for that they can punch and elbow you in the face. Half the sweeps or subs from guard are about trapping one arm. When the other one can punch you, it's a whole different ballgame.

Coming from someone that has been lucky enough to be tooled and learn from Garcia he has to be considered, he doesn't go for subs as much as some of the other top guys but he has an unbelievable ability to always keep the top player off balance before he sweeps and destroys

If we are talking MMA then Miguel Angel Torres and of course AOKI are the best I've seen in a long time

Sport BJJ Marcello Garcia's x-guard game is as good as it gets

Eddie Bravo? Are you guys kidding, please watch the fight
Leo Vieira X Eddie Bravo in adcc 2003... He passes his guard in nogi a zillion times and wins 16-0.
Also it seems that marcelo likes to pass someone elses guard/halfguard in sport BJJ since most often he ends up on top passing and not being the one to sit down to pull guard.

Eddie Bravo? Are you guys kidding, please watch the fight
Leo Vieira X Eddie Bravo in adcc 2003... He passes his guard in nogi a zillion times and wins 16-0.
Also it seems that marcelo likes to pass someone elses guard/halfguard in sport BJJ since most often he ends up on top passing and not being the one to sit down to pull guard.

I like how people bring up the Viera match right after Bravo won a war against Royler and gave it everything he got, collapsed and crying after the match.

As for Marcelo, I think you're right, if you meant he plays more top game in Gi BJJ than no gi?

Back