best guard-game in the world

Roleta, Pe de Pano, de la Riva...

All famous for their guards.

Pe De Pano was Mr. Guard.. He by far is the most known and decorated solid guard player.

meaning he is known solely for his guard, and nothing else... besides looking like a cartoon horse.

Marcelo, jacare, roger, and xande are the complete packages. They have great guard but they are not secluded to a guard game. I wouldnt say they have the best guards in the world. Not when compared to more prodominate guard players like Roleta, and Pe De Pano.

You can't forget Nino Schembri. His extreme flexiblity helped him have a great guard, and made him one of the better finishers in sport BJJ.

I haven't seen anyone work butterfly/hook guard better than Leo Santos.

And, I know it's gonna be an unpopular choice, but I'm gonna add Eddie Bravo. I think he does some great things with his guard. I can't help think how bad it would suck to be in his guard.

Yeah nino is just Nasty - most complicated/flexible guards ever.

I know most of you have no way of knowing this and you might disagree but NICK SERRA has one of the most ridiculous guards I have ever seen!!

Pe de Pano's guard is dangerous. A big guy with a sick open guard game.

Roleta was awesome. It tells you something that Pe de Pano learned/adapted his cross-guard from Roleta.

Nino's guard is dangerous and stylish but it's like a huge roller coaster ride. On any given day, he's capable of submitting anyone in the world. Then again, on any given day, he's also capable of losing badly to anyone in the world.

I personally think it is a bit ridiculous mentioning eddie bravo for best guard in the world at the moment...

I am amazed no one is mentioning leo santos, his guard is ridiculous! also of course pe de pano as well and roleta

I personally think it is a bit ridiculous mentioning eddie bravo for best guard in the world at the moment...

I am amazed no one is mentioning leo santos, his guard is ridiculous! also of course pe de pano as well and roleta

I mentioned Leo Santos.

And, given the context, I definitely misspoke by mentioning Eddie Bravo. But, I think his guard game is quite unique.

He's not best in the world material, so you can all unravel your panties now.

Right. Except for that they can punch and elbow you in the face. Half the sweeps or subs from guard are about trapping one arm. When the other one can punch you, it's a whole different ballgame.

Except you can't sense obvious sarcasm, when responding to someone talking about BJ Penn''s guard based on MMA fights.

any tips on videos on matches where I can see these guys like rolenta, pe-de-pano? What fights are worth seeing if I get Mundials 2007 dvds and pan americans 2007 dvds?
(that means Im more interested in active bjj players since it easier to buy footage of them!)

I dont think Pe de pano, or Roleta compete in Gi anymore.

look for the older stuff

Pe de Pano's focusing on MMA and you wont really find much recent footage of him.

Roleta "retired" from BJJ a long time ago to become an airline pilot. Only older footage exists of him and his game. You can find some of it on youtube.

Back