Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Semis | #1) Barristan Selmy vs #9) Daemon Blackfyre

A short description of Daemon for non-book readers:

Daemon matured into a man of considerable charm and strength, mastering all weapons of the battlefield, but with the sword Blackfyre in hand he was said to fight like the Warrior himself.
(the warrior is one of the seven gods they pray to)

Daemon's accomplishments are probably just as good as Selmy's plus he's got Blackfyre, regrettably he'll get crushed in this vote due to a love of Barristan and a lot of people not knowing much of Daemon.

I read the books and I remeber almost nothing about Blackfyre other than his name. I'm going Selmy, for actual testimonies from living people, plus he came after and I think combat evolves over time.

Rhaegar Targayen fan? Are you drunk or something? :icon_conf. You must be confusing me for someone else. Rhaegar Targayen is the biggest emo in the history of Westeros. Don't make me laugh. :rolleyes:. I believe that Barristan Selmy is in the top 5 greatest fighters in the history of Westeros. But a fight between him and Daemon could go either way the main difference will be the weapon and Daemon's sword is superior to Selmy's the same goes for Arthur Dayne vs Selmy. GRRM said this himself.
In my opinion Robert "the demon of the trident" Baratheon is the greatest fighter to have graced Westeros. Too bad he wasn't a good king.

You made a fool of yourself and now you're grasping at straws.

Robert was the best general + one of the best fighters. Lead armies, made people love him...even people he beat. One of the top 1vs1 fighters in addition to him being able to lead/get people to follow him. Won a throne. Did far more than any other warrior in Westeros. Barristan even said he was a great knight, albeit a shitty king.

Really tough match up. Skills are close to equal (I'd give Barry a slight edge) but Daemon has the superior weapon.

I mean, they were both the best of their eras. It's like asking who is smarter between Einstein and Newton. At that level, its no longer about general ability. It comes down to any tiny advantage.

We know Daemon is bigger and stronger than Selmy. We know Daemon has valyrian steel. We assume Selmy may be very slightly more skilled, but there's no way his skill advantage is so much that it could overcome the things working against him.

Guys, keep the flaming out of Mayberry. It'll have to be cards from here on out. Already had to delete several posts.

The Legend of Gin Alley would destroy them both.

A short description of Daemon for non-book readers:

(the warrior is one of the seven gods they pray to)

Daemon's accomplishments are probably just as good as Selmy's plus he's got Blackfyre, regrettably he'll get crushed in this vote due to a love of Barristan and a lot of people not knowing much of Daemon.

That's one tough chick.

Really tough match up. Skills are close to equal (I'd give Barry a slight edge) but Daemon has the superior weapon.

We've already seen The Legend defeat Valarian steal with 2 steak knives.

Guys, keep the flaming out of Mayberry. It'll have to be cards from here on out. Already had to delete several posts.

This is why all polls should be done in the OT...

pussy
jk
but not really

Lol.

Well, the famous phrase "die in a fire" would fit pretty well considering the series. Maybe it could work.

Lol.

Well, the famous phrase "die in a fire" would fit pretty well considering the series. Maybe it could work.

Holy fuck The Mad King was an OT poster hahaha.

Probably Positive Balance.

I'm voting Selmy. He cut his way through the Golden Company and killed Maelys the Monstrous, killed Ser Symon Hollard and rescued King Aerys, killed Ser Simon Toyne of the Kingswood Brotherhood, led the attack on Old Wyk during the Greyjoy Rebellion, killed the game pit fighter, Khrazz, at the age of 61. He unhorsed Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard in a joust when he was sixteen, and did the same to the Hound forty-one years later.

Daemon Blackfyre's reputation and Valyrian sword are impressive, but there are just so many more known exploits of Selmy's.

Give time a chance to erode the details and grow the legend of Barristan the Bold and I don't doubt that it will also be said that he fought like the Warrior himself.

we all know its going to come down to selmy vs dayne but its a wash because grrm comes out and says that they are equal swordsmen but dayne has a better sword

we all know its going to come down to selmy vs dayne but its a wash because grrm comes out and says that they are equal swordsmen but dayne has a better sword

Best swordsmen are Dayne, Barristan and Jamie.

Robert didn't use a sword though, and could beat all three. Could also lose to all three on a given night. Still, the only one who actually won a throne, and did anything but follow orders.

Best swordsmen are Dayne, Barristan and Jamie.

Robert didn't use a sword though, and could beat all three. Could also lose to all three on a given night. Still, the only one who actually won a throne, and did anything but follow orders.

I agree. There should be a clear distinction between best swordsman and best fighter. The two of them don't have to be mutually inclusive.

T'would be heresy to vote against Selmy. I foresee a slicing and dicing in the most chivalric manner possible. (ps trying not to flame).

Daemon isn't on GoT (at least not yet), so Barristan wins by default.

Went with Daemon. It wasn't an easy choice though, they are considered to be similar in skill and power during their prime, but I think Daemon would win out in the end.

Back