Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Semis | #1) Barristan Selmy vs #9) Daemon Blackfyre

After the main tourney, can we get a novelty bracket? Things like:

Drogon vs. Rhaegal and Viserion
Littlefinger vs. Varys (in a game of cyvasse)
Arya vs. Meera Reed
Tommen vs. Bran II
Ser Pounce vs. Balerion the Bold

I'd be down for any Got related tournament. Best House/Region, Hottest Character, Best Politician or Leader, etc. If we can't find 16 then an 8 person tournament would still work

Best eunuch?

Theon or Varys

Someone actually named their son Demon Blackfire?

He named himself that really. I think a little background is in order to explain to non-book readers who Daemon Blackfyre was.

Over a century before the events of the series/show, the king of Westeros was Aegon IV Targaryen, known even in his lifetime as Aegon the Unworthy, or as someone upthread so eloquently put it, this fat fuck:

AEGON_IV.jpg

Aegon the Unworthy was one of the worst kings of the Targaryen dynasty. He spent most of his time eating, drinking and fucking, and unlike Robert Baratheon, he kept semiofficial mistresses who were noble-born. A joke in his lifetime was that while the motto of House Targaryen was Fire and Blood, Aegon the Unworthy’s words should’ve been “Bathe her and bring her to my bed”.

One of the bad things Aegon did was legitimizing all his bastard children on his deathbed and putting them in the line of succession behind his legitimate son. One of those Great Bastards was Daemon, Aegon’s son by his cousin Daena Targaryen, who was by all appearances his favorite. When Daemon was a teenager he acknowledged him and presented him as a gift the Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre, the sword of all the Targaryen kings that had come before. When Daemon was legitimized he took the sword’s name as the name of his House and was thereafter known as Daemon Blackfyre.

Years later, goaded by his friends and by petty personal reasons, he rebelled against the legitimate king, his elder brother King Daeron II Targaryen, a.k.a. Daeron the Good. Daemon’s justifications were some unsubstantiated rumors about King Daeron paternity and the fact that Aegon the Unworthy had given him Blackfyre, which he and his supporters took to meaning that he wanted Daemon to be king.

This triggered a massive civil war known as the Blackfyre Rebellion. A lot of nobles took the Pretender’s side because they liked him better than Daeron. The reason they gave lead me to believe that most sherdogers would’ve been Blackfyre supporters:

King Daeron wasn’t a warrior, but a cultured and sophisticated man, and his court was full of scholars and maesters. He also brought Dorne into the realm peacefully by marrying a Dornish Princess and marrying his sister to the Prince of Dorne.

Daemon Blackfyre on the other hand was a warriors’ warrior. Fit, muscular and charismatic; he was as good as any man with lance, axe or flail, but unmatched with the sword. He was no more pious than he needed to be and he valued warriors above all else.

Basically, Daemon Blackfyre was a badass and Daeron II was not, so a lot of lords sided with Daemon on the basis of that alone.

But while Daeron was no warrior, his sons were. Daemon Blackfyre and his eldest sons died in battle and the Rebellion was crushed. His remaining sons fled to Essos and the Blackfyre Pretenders would be a thorn on the side of House Targaryen for 5 generations, until Barristan Selmy killed the last of the Blackfyres, Daemon’s descendant Maelys the Monstrous, during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

Also, you shouldn't judge him on the basis of the pictue in the opening post. I never thouhgt it did hom justice. This is the description GRRM gave the artist who made it:

Targaryen on both side, Daemon had all the hallmarks of his house; the silver-gold hair, the deep purple eyes, fine features of almost inhuman beauty. Daemon's friends and supporters often remarked on how much he resembled Aegon the Conquerer (or at least his likeness, since none of them had ever seen Aegon in the flesh), and indeed there was a certain similarlity, though Daemon wore his hair long, flowing down to his shoulders in a silvery-gold mane. He went clean-shaved, with neither beard nor mustache. Daemon looks every inch the warrior; broad shoulders, big arms, a flat stomach, but he was also a man of considerable charm. I'd give him a warm smile. He made friends easily, and women were drawn to him as well.

As a bastard, Daemon Blackfyre bore the arms of House Targaryen with the colors reversed: a black three-headed dragon on a red field. Thus he became known as "the Black Dragon." His armor would be ornate and costly, all black and red plate, and his warhelm was distinctive, with batlike steel "dragon wings" on the sides.

Back