Best bud might be losing his mind.

Its really that I'm not afraid to bring this up. I just really don't know if its my place. This whole situation has been so extreme that I feel like his family would take notice. Especially with what happened with his dad.
If you're his best friend, its your duty as a man. He may not have anyone else around to slap sense into him, and we need that at times, imo.some more than others (like me, for instance)

Urge him to seek help and get an evaluation. I’m not sure how u do this. If he’s mentally ill it won’t matter what u say or how u say it. He needs medical help and intervention. necessarily saying he needs meds but he needs to be evaluated before you can even think about how to approach this

I think that would be best if thats done through the family. I'm pretty much family to the point if I wanted to roll into his parents house and make sandwich, no one would say anything to me lol. But discussing what happened with his dad, I think they need to handle it.

Like I said, its not like I wanna stop him from marrying her. Its more like I want him to see the bigger picture. His impulsiveness is out of control. If she makes him happy then good for him. I'm not trying to step on his toes. However, he needs to protect himself.
It's out of your control, as it should be.

I'm not going to tell him how to live his life.
It sure sounds like you will, you're even assuming he might be bipolar.

People do crazy stuff sometimes, it might work or not, but everything is experience and everyone is entitled to it. No one wants a judge telling people what is good and what is not about "the situation". Stop trying to protect him from himself. It's not like he is trying to kill himself.

This is Déjà vu for me. I went through this with multiple friends while in my twenties. I got too involved and ended up pushing some friends away, nobody wants to be told what to do or how to do it, especially at that age. In hindsight I should've left it alone and let them live and learn. I lost some good friends over shit like this, even if you're right they'll still always begrudge you. On the bright side that terminator cobra should only increase in value as long as it's a hardtop.

Not an easy thing, as some guys get very defensive if you try to weigh in on their love life. Did you meet the girl? Are you getting psycho vibes?

It sure sounds like you will, you're even assuming he might be bipolar.

People do crazy stuff sometimes, it might work or not, but everything is experience and everyone is entitled to it. No one wants a judge telling people what is good and what is not about "the situation". Stop trying to protect him from himself. It's not like he is trying to kill himself.

Its not like its so far out of reach since mental illness is passed down. Plus males don't show symptoms till their mid twenties. I've seen him go through phases in the past but nothing this extreme. This is way too extreme and I don't believe in coincidences.

I've said previously through out this thread, I don't wanna stop him from doing what makes him happy.

Sounds like a midlife crises before thirty.

Not an easy thing, as some guys get very defensive if you try to weigh in on their love life. Did you meet the girl? Are you getting psycho vibes?

Dude, I didnt even know she existed till a week or so ago. We've both been super busy with shit that we hadn't found the time to talk.

Slip a roofie in his drink and then have him wake up in Mexico. Hire a bunch of hoors to show him a good time and make sure your take lots of pictures.

Then send the pics to his fiance. If she still wants to marry him, then you know she's just after the money and house, because no good woman would marry that cheating bastard after that.

Alcohol + bi polar disorder?

Yeah. That'll end well.

I mean, hes never had a violent outburst while drinking. He's went on some wild ass rants in public before that have made me cringe like no other. I just plan on having a beer or two. Nothing srs.

I lost a really good friend because i knew what was best for him with his love life.
I was right in the long run, but it still cost me a friendship.
Same here. Our relationship ended in a fist fight in our own apartment. And I was right.

See thats what I want to avoid.
I hate fighting but sometimes fists have to fly.

And I could walk away knowing I did what I could and only spoke the truth. If I had been lying, or I never tried to give my friend advice, I'd probably still be thinking "what if" til this day

Its not like its so far out of reach since mental illness is passed down. Plus males don't show symptoms till their mid twenties. I've seen him go through phases in the past but nothing this extreme. This is way too extreme and I don't believe in coincidences.
Nice internet info. Where every pain might be cancer.

Dude, chill out, let your friend live his life and start to worry about yours.

Nice internet info. Where every pain might be cancer.

Dude, chill out, let your friend live his life and start to worry about yours.

So you think its all normal behavior?

He clearly seems to be bipolar. And his wife to be obviously has some serious issues. Bipolar disorder is one of the hardest disorders to deal with, and when a bipolar patient will not acknowledge they have a disorder or won't comply with a medication regiment, it's almost a lost cause. I'll say this, even if you have a heartfelt talk and he changes his mind about some of his recent manic decisions, if he is bipolar, there is always another crazy decision right around the corner. When two crazy people get together and get married so quickly, obviously it usually won't last long, but I've noticed that when both people share a strong religious view, it can sometimes be the glue that holds two crazy people together. Just my two cents.

And if you do decide to have 'the talk' with him, try to be diplomatic. Don't start out with "I'm concerned about you, you're exhibiting signs that your father did, etc.....". Start out with "Wow, gettin' married huh? That was fast, you sure you ready for this ride, buddy?"

My best friend's dad tried killing himself about two years ago due to his mental illness going unchecked. (He's Bipolar.) Now males generally don't start showing signs of this until they're around 23-25 years old. Well he just turned 25.

Anyhoo, I recently bought a piece of property and about a two months later, he decided to buy his own house. It was very impulsive because he didn't even go through our mutual friend who is a real estate agent. He looked at a total of four houses and just made his decision. No big deal, I didn't think anything of it. I congratulated him and let him know that it was super awesome. I didn't think this was impulsive until you factor in a few more things that happened here recently.

Homie decided to purchase a 2004 Mustang Cobra. That's badass. It needs a lot of work done to it but nothing too serious. This didn't worry me at all but he sent me a text out of the blue a couple nights ago that made me literally say "What the fuck!?"

I just found out that I'm going to be the best man at his wedding. He's getting married to a chick he met off of tinder a month ago. The shit is fucking crazy. He said he started dating her because her profile said Christian. I then ask him whens the big date and he tells me November 10th of this year.... I'm at a loss for words and he's talking about putting her name on the house too...

Now I'm torn. I want to be happy for him but this is just way too wild and I don't believe in coincidences. I'm starting to think he's having an extreme high manic episode. We're going to grab some beer over the weekend and I don't know if I should voice my concern. I don't wanna step on his toes and I feel like I can't be the only one who is seeing this as extreme.

What do you guys think? I've been getting a lot of people's opinions on this because like I said I don't wanna step on his toes but I don't wanna call him crazy.

Cliffs:
-Best friend's dad is bipolar and tried committing suicide two years ago.

-My friend is now at the age where Bipolar starts to show.

-Bought a piece of property a couple month after me

-Bought a 2004 Cobra right after purchasing the house

-Got engaged to a girl he met off a Tinder a month ago and has only lived with her for 6 days.

-Going to meet with him over the weekend and I'm wondering if I should voice my concern because this is way too extreme when you put everything together.I think he's having a manic episode.

<escalate99>

It's good you're willing to shoot straight and help your friends, but a few questions..

I don't know much of anything about being bi polar, but you said the dad has it, so does that automatically mean the kids get it too? Has your friend been diagnosed with this?
I get why it's on your mind, but I think you need to have some solid evidence behind that before bringing all this up.

You said he bought a car and a house, does he have the money for this? Was it really all impulse, or did he get a good deal? The new woman get his mind going on settling down?

Love can make the most logical people do the most illogical things. You dont have to be bipolar to be a fool in love. I think we've all had a friend or family member rush into a relationship and get deep real quick. Sometimes this shit works out, sometimes it doesn't.
But words hardly ever change a determined heart. I'd have a conversation with him about things moving fast and the potential future problems regarding putting her name on the house deed, but that's about all you can do.
Worst comes to worst, try to get to know his girl. She could be a great girl, and she could look out for your friend like a good wife would

Back