Best bud might be losing his mind.

Mr. 4K

Riding a rhino pico de gallo
@Gold
Reaction score
My best friend's dad tried killing himself about two years ago due to his mental illness going unchecked. (He's Bipolar.) Now males generally don't start showing signs of this until they're around 23-25 years old. Well he just turned 25.

Anyhoo, I recently bought a piece of property and about a two months later, he decided to buy his own house. It was very impulsive because he didn't even go through our mutual friend who is a real estate agent. He looked at a total of four houses and just made his decision. No big deal, I didn't think anything of it. I congratulated him and let him know that it was super awesome. I didn't think this was impulsive until you factor in a few more things that happened here recently.

Homie decided to purchase a 2004 Mustang Cobra. That's badass. It needs a lot of work done to it but nothing too serious. This didn't worry me at all but he sent me a text out of the blue a couple nights ago that made me literally say "What the fuck!?"

I just found out that I'm going to be the best man at his wedding. He's getting married to a chick he met off of tinder a month ago. The shit is fucking crazy. He said he started dating her because her profile said Christian. I then ask him whens the big date and he tells me November 10th of this year.... I'm at a loss for words and he's talking about putting her name on the house too...

Now I'm torn. I want to be happy for him but this is just way too wild and I don't believe in coincidences. I'm starting to think he's having an extreme high manic episode. We're going to grab some beer over the weekend and I don't know if I should voice my concern. I don't wanna step on his toes and I feel like I can't be the only one who is seeing this as extreme.

What do you guys think? I've been getting a lot of people's opinions on this because like I said I don't wanna step on his toes but I don't wanna call him crazy.

Cliffs:
-Best friend's dad is bipolar and tried committing suicide two years ago.

-My friend is now at the age where Bipolar starts to show.

-Bought a piece of property a couple month after me

-Bought a 2004 Cobra right after purchasing the house

-Got engaged to a girl he met off a Tinder a month ago and has only lived with her for 6 days.

-Going to meet with him over the weekend and I'm wondering if I should voice my concern because this is way too extreme when you put everything together.I think he's having a manic episode.

<escalate99>

That’s a tough situation. Try and be friendly with him but explain that marrying this chick is a bad idea and try to talk him out of doing it so soon if you can.

Womens incredible need for attention and affection are their biggest weakness, IMO

But when it's a man that needs it.... it's a lost cause. He'll never hear a word you say. He needs a woman to feel complete. Scary shit, IMO

there doesnt seem anyway for you to approach this without him getting upset.

First post nailed it.
Have you spoken to any of his family members?

Good luck but sane people dealing with women and infatuation are almost impossible to deal with. I have tried a couple times with my homies and it usually is 1st fuck you stay out of my business then later fuck I fucked up etc..

Your best choice is to blow him and see if he puts your name on the house as well

Womens incredible need for attention and affection are their biggest weakness, IMO

But when it's a man that needs it.... it's a lost cause. He'll never hear a word you say. He needs a woman to feel complete. Scary shit, IMO

Generally I would agree with this dude but he's been on a tear with one night stands for the past few years. I honestly don't think its that. Idk. I can't see him fitting this mold.

Good luck but sane people dealing with women and infatuation are almost impossible to deal with. I have tried a couple times with my homies and it usually is 1st fuck you stay out of my business then later fuck I fucked up etc..

Your best choice is to blow him and see if he puts your name on the house as well

{<jordan}

Generally I would agree with this dude but he's been on a tear with one night stands for the past few years. I honestly don't think its that. Idk. I can't see him fitting this mold.
He runs through them because he needs them. He will continue running through them in marriage. My old best friend was just like this.

My advice is to tell him the truth, straight up, one time, go through all your commitments you made for him and then create some space. Not saying to cut him out of your life, but I'm willing to bet these guys will crash and burn and they will take it out on everyone closest to them.

I mean, I don't wanna sit here and tell him not to marry her. I'd like to convince him not to put her name on the house because if divorce happens, hes going to get wrecked. Point blank period. If hes going to do this, he needs to get an iron clad prenup.

If you've been friends long enough you should be able to find the right time, right words, and the right tone to bring it up without upsetting him.

Just ask him if he's sure that this is what he wants. If he gets mad just tell him you're only trying to be a good friend.

If you've been friends long enough you should be able to find the right time, right words, and the right tone to bring it up without upsetting him.

Just ask him if he's sure that this is what he wants. If he gets mad just tell him you're only trying to be a good friend.

Yeah, we've been kicking it for 11 years. I feel that I have to but what if all this shit is due to him being Bipolar and hes not getting treated? Thats the real fucked up part. I've seen him go through short bouts of depression when we were younger. Its probably been maybe a year since his last one. He said something a long the lines of he can't even find the energy to watch TV or read a book. He stopped going to the gym with for a while too during that phase.

Some just can’t handle the power of the vagina but in all serious I would do my best to keep him from putting both names on the house/property if he purchased before they got together but it’s still a couple months to go so still a chance it could fizzle out

Yeah, tell him. He could easily ruin his life at this rate. Who knows what else he's doing that you don't know about e.g. maxing out every credit card.

Manic episodes don't last forever, hopefully this one wears down before the wedding.

Yeah, tell him. He could easily ruin his life at this rate. Who knows what else he's doing that you don't know about e.g. maxing out every credit card.

Manic episodes don't last forever, hopefully this one wears down before the wedding.

I can only imagine. He told me that he recently paid off one of this credit cards that he had maxed a while back. I don't know his personal finances but I do know his credit limit was 5 figures. He told me he went out and got the engagement ring too. I haven't seen it but knowing him, he probably went all out.

Yeah, we've been kicking it for 11 years. I feel that I have to but what if all this shit is due to him being Bipolar and hes not getting treated? Thats the real fucked up part. I've seen him go through short bouts of depression when we were younger. Its probably been maybe a year since his last one. He said something a long the lines of he can't even find the energy to watch TV or read a book. He stopped going to the gym with for a while too during that phase.
I'm no expert on manic depression. What I do know is they go through periods of extreme highs and lows. Now you said the wedding isn't until November so there's time for him to snap out of it so to speak. The main thing is if you do bring it up just make sure you say it in a way that doesn't suggest you think there's anything mentally wrong with him.

Suggest that he spend some time with her trying to build ikea furniture and working on a computer with bad internet connection without his help.

everybody lives in fear nowadays, specially a demographic like people in here who have gigantic problems communicating with women.... if you are a good friend just go and listen to him with an open mind, dont bring your own fears into it, these changes might be the best thing he could do in his life... sure maybe not I agree, but dont judge, just listen to him....and I repeat DONT JUDGE

everybody lives in fear nowadays, specially a demographic like people in here who have gigantic problems communicating with women.... if you are a good friend just go and listen to him with an open mind, dont bring your own fears into it, these changes might be the best thing he could do in his life... sure maybe not I agree, but dont judge, just listen to him....and I repeat DONT JUDGE

Its really that I'm not afraid to bring this up. I just really don't know if its my place. This whole situation has been so extreme that I feel like his family would take notice. Especially with what happened with his dad.

Back