Bernie's new anti welfare build

It's like most of Bernie's ideas. They sound great on paper. If anyone is going to try to enact them soon, I would very much like it to be him. Not a big fan of his progressive dream team i.e., Warren, Harris, Booker.

The rich corporations will just pass costs along to consumer. If there only some way to get them to price compete, or make them payout more.
That is not necessarily the case. We're seeing it now with computer hardware(of all places) that are subject to new 10-25% tariffs. There's a massive effort by retailers to pass this cost onto the manufacturers, not the consumers.

Very interesting read:
Amazon Strong-Arming PC Manufacturers over Tariffs
We’ve heard from multiple industry contacts that the US tariffs that may go into effect on September 6th are causing trouble for PC component manufacturers. The new tariffs are expected to impact component import cost by anywhere from 10% to 25%, depending on final decisions at the USTR, and those costs will largely be passed on to consumers. Right now, we know that video cards, motherboards, coolers, power supplies, and likely cases will be impacted. Most manufacturers with US-based warehouses have been importing as much product as possible before the decision, as the tariffs will only impact cost of items not yet in port stateside. Every add-in board partner is impacted and every power supply maker is affected, from what we’re told.

As for Amazon’s role in all of this, our sources at PC component manufacturers have indicated that Amazon is strong-arming part makers into their existing price positions. Several manufacturers have indicated to Amazon a wish to raise MSRP to cover the potential 25% import, as almost none of these products have margins higher than 10%, so the tariffs will make them unprofitable. Amazon has responded with notices that it will not permit manufacturers to pass along increases to consumers. While this is noble in some respect, component manufacturers simply can’t sell on Amazon at a loss -- they’d go out of business. The current proposed work-around is to discontinue existing parts on Amazon and recreate the inventory with new product IDs and higher prices. The time cost of doing this must also be accounted for.

We have a full deep-dive on the new tariffs coming up shortly, including quotes from CEOs and representatives within the industry. We’ll air this content after the September 6 decision.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industr...st-responds-to-toms-hardware-pc-tariff-prices

Last edited:
Consumers can just buy from cheaper, smaller companies. The bill only affects companies who have over 500+ employees.

Yes but it will only affect the consumers who buy from them. Consumers can still price shop for the cheapest version of what they need. And sure, we'd see a price increase but it's unlikely to cost us individually a significant amount more and it would save us on the national budget.

I don't have a problem with this. I think that people who get upset about individual welfare are missing the bigger issue which is corporate welfare. The individual welfare is tied to the corporate welfare and we should focus on the source of the problem.

Besides Amazon who is going to be left to buy from if and when Bernie's policy ever get enacted

That is not necessarily the case. We're seeing it now with computer hardware(of all places) that are subject to new 10-25% tariffs. There's a massive effort by retailers to pass this cost onto the manufacturers, not the consumers.

Very interesting read:

It sure will be the case once Amazon completes its world domination, horizontally, and vertically integrated and expands into every sector leaving nothing left for anyone.

Besides Amazon who is going to be left to buy from if and when Bernie's policy ever get enacted

If they try to pass on significant costs to the consumer, it will make others more competitive. If no one else is able to compete then we'll just be paying the true price for our goods directly to the retailer instead of indirectly through the government.

And if it means that it takes people off the welfare rolls to even a small degree then our nation is better off.

Amazon's costs will go up but since they're passing those costs on to the consumer their revenue will go up as well. The taxable spread should remain consistent from the government's perspective.

I understand your concern but I don't see it as a reason to not pursue this.

There’s no reason someone can work 20 years at a company full-time and still not be able to pay for their family.

Theres plenty of stores and online places to buy from. Amazon, Walmart, etc can't increase prices too crazy.

That's why you need strong anti trust laws and enforcement.

Always funny the hypocrisy of the posters here who look the other way on corporate welfare but are ready to lynch a welfare mom who gets 200$ worth of EBT.
Is there anybody in particular you'd like to call out for that? I don't see a lot of support for corporate welfare.

There’s no reason someone can work 20 years at a company full-time and still not be able to pay for their family.

There isn't any reason for that, which is why it doesn't happen. The only cases where that might be true is if somebody has several divorces or child support payments to several different women.

Is there anybody in particular you'd like to call out for that? I don't see a lot of support for corporate welfare.

LOL bullzhit. How many threads are started on here about corporate welfare by right-wing posters? 0? Now how many threads are started about 'poor people ripping off EBT', how they should all be drug-tested, and how many posts have been made about EBT users driving around in fancy cars with fancy rims and zhit. You guys are a joke.

I'd rather see the workers strike tbh. I'd rather not see government mandate this shit but something has to be done.

There isn't any reason for that, which is why it doesn't happen. The only cases where that might be true is if somebody has several divorces or child support payments to several different women.

Maybe i misunderstood the second paragraph. Are you saying people DONT work for large corporations for 20 years and are still not able to pay for their families? If that is so, im calling bullshit. Plenty of Walmart employees have been working there forever and are still on government assistance or at least struggling to survive. Thats a billion dollar, fortune 500 company for all those people that are about to say "Get a better job than walmart!".

Disclaimer: I do not work at Walmart.

LOL bullzhit. How many threads are started on here about corporate welfare by right-wing posters? 0? Now how many threads are started about 'poor people ripping off EBT', how they should all be drug-tested, and how many posts have been made about EBT users driving around in fancy cars with fancy rims and zhit. You guys are a joke.
How many WR threads were you expecting about something nobody supports? The left does support non-contributing members of society being propped up and paid for by taxpayers, so there's 2 sides to that argument to make it a suitable thread topic. Conservatives are the ones who support capitalism with as little government involvement as possible. Who told you they were in favor of any form of welfare?

Maybe i misunderstood the second paragraph. Are you saying people DONT work for large corporations for 20 years and are still not able to pay for their families? If that is so, im calling bullshit. Plenty of Walmart employees have been working there forever and are still on government assistance or at least struggling to survive. Thats a billion dollar, fortune 500 company for all those people that are about to say "Get a better job than walmart!".

Disclaimer: I do not work at Walmart.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. There are not people working full-time at a company for 20 years who can't pay the cost of living. And yeah, get a better job instead of working at a place that also has 2,5 million other employees to pay. If you're at the bottom of totem pole for over 2 decades and haven't gotten any raises or promotions and haven't left, there's something wrong with you. The CEO's salary is under $5 million. Let's split his entire salary up 2.5 million ways and give every employee an extra $2 each year.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. There are not people working full-time at a company for 20 years who can't pay the cost of living. And yeah, get a better job instead of working at a place that also has 2,5 million other employees to pay. If you're at the bottom of totem pole for over 2 decades and haven't gotten any raises or promotions and haven't left, there's something wrong with you. The CEO's salary is under $5 million. Let's split his entire salary up 2.5 million ways and give every employee an extra $2 each year.

Well now youre being confusing, either there are NOT people working for 20 years still getting shit on by a large corporation or there ARE but its there own fault, they shouldve got a different job, they are lazy, etc.
Which point are you trying to make?

Btw your example of CEO pay is assinine when Walmart posted 482 BILLION dollars in profits in 2016. Why divide up the ceo pay when you have such a fortune coming in every year in profits?

Always funny the hypocrisy of the posters here who look the other way on corporate welfare but are ready to lynch a welfare mom who gets 200$ worth of EBT.

It's insane bullshit, and the expansive spending on anti-poverty programs are in large part effectively/a result of corporate welfare on account of low and stagnant wages as @HIMBOB said in luckyshot's recent middle-class thread. It's kind of the other side of the coin to the point, but at least they're more effective than previously thought if nothing else.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w24567

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-antipoverty-20180507-story.html

The rich corporations will just pass costs along to consumer. If there only some way to get them to price compete, or make them payout more.

Pay the real cost of what you buy!!!!

May God have mercy on us all.

Well now youre being confusing, either there are NOT people working for 20 years still getting shit on by a large corporation or there ARE but its there own fault, they shouldve got a different job, they are lazy, etc.
Which point are you trying to make?

Btw your example of CEO pay is assinine when Walmart posted 482 BILLION dollars in profits in 2016. Why divide up the ceo pay when you have such a fortune coming in every year in profits?

I have no idea how much profit Walmart made in 2016 but I am certain it was not 482 billion.

I’m all for supplementing a single mother with a kid, but once they realize more kids equals more money, you have to cut it off. It shouldn’t be an incentive to have endless kids, which it is now

Bezos vs Bernie, Dems vs Dems. I love a good shit show.

I’m all for supplementing a single mother with a kid, but once they realize more kids equals more money, you have to cut it off. It shouldn’t be an incentive to have endless kids, which it is now

I thought you guys wanted white people pumping out kids to keep the birthrate up and all.

Back