Beneil won that fight

I see no problem with the decision. Watch the fight again.

Round 3 could have easily been scored 10-8 Dariush while Johnson was coasting as well.

R1 Johnson. R2 Close. R3 Dariush by far.

Rewatch the fight.

lol. Round 3 could have been scored 10-8?

Round 1:
Johnson- 24 of 73
Dariush- 20 of 57

Round 2:
Johnson- 35 of 80
Dariush- 22 of 62

Since when did stuffing tds earn you points?

You ever heard of the term "octagon control?" Takedown defense not counting? GTFO with that shit. 0/7 on TD attempts is a laughable stat, and he got outstruck on paper and in the viewing eyes of the vast majority of fans and media. Also got dropped.

Round 1:
Johnson- 24 of 73
Dariush- 20 of 57

Round 2:
Johnson- 35 of 80
Dariush- 22 of 62

Most of the Johnson's strikes in the second round aknowledged by fightmetrics were actually blocked or caught Beneil at the very end of their range

Beneil had more significative strikes in the second in my book. Allowed Johnson to pressure because he's a counterstriker and did a pretty decent job at counterstriking.

Either way, it was a very close round therefore this fight shouldn't be considered as a robbery.

Most of the Johnson's strikes in the second round being aknowledged by fightmetrics were actually blocked or caught Beneil at the very end of their range

Beneil had more significative strikes in the second in my book. Allowed Jonhson to pressure because he's a counterstriker and did a pretty decent job at counterstriking.

Either way, it was a very close round therefore this fight shouldn't be considered as a robbery.

Why was Johnson's effective grappling not rewarded? He outworked him on the feet in the first two rounds, he was more aggressive, and had 100% TDD accuracy. This wasn't as close as people are trying to make it.

You ever heard of the term "octagon control?" Takedown defense not counting? GTFO with that shit. 0/7 on TD attempts is a laughable stat, and he got outstruck on paper and in the viewing eyes of the vast majority of fans and media. Also got dropped.

Take down defense is effective grappling how do people not understand that?

We need that gif of shocked Dariush when he hears his name. That says it all. Of course he turned the mouth up after he found out he won, he's gotta sell himself. But he was absolutely shocked to shit when he first heard it.

Take down defense is effective grappling how do people not understand that?

Exactly. If you are stuffing takedowns, especially ALL of them, then YOU are controlling where the fight is taking place. This shouldn't be such a difficult concept for these weirdos to comprehend.

I think the 1st round is the one the judges gave to Dariush. Striking wise it was very even while Dariush actually landed a higher percentage. Also there was no scored knock down in the first round so I think it was seen as a slip. The 2nd round is almost certainly MJ's round at least by looking at the stats. He landed 13 more strikes while landing a much better percentage. MJ also stuffed more takedowns in the 2nd round as well.

Most of the Johnson's strikes in the second round aknowledged by fightmetrics were actually blocked or caught Beneil at the very end of their range

Beneil had more significative strikes in the second in my book. Allowed Johnson to pressure because he's a counterstriker and did a pretty decent job at counterstriking.

If you watched the fight and didn't have a horse in the race, it was a robbery. I bet on both horses and actually won more via Beneil getting the nod... and still acknowledge it's a robbery.

I literally had marked down the loss for my bet on Beneil after round 3.

Why was Johnson's effective grappling not rewarded?

I think making your opponent fails a takedown should only count in the eyes of the judges if you're able to punish him, wether it's by getting a dominant posture with the sprawl or landing a countershot.

Johnson just avoided it. If all the fight was Dariush trying to take Johnson down and Johnson escaping without doing anything it should be a victory for the guy actually trying to do something.

Either way, I don't think grappling is a key for scoring this fight. Failed td's didn't earn Dariush victory. He was just more effective on the feet in the 2nd and the third.

If you watched the fight and didn't have a horse in the race, it was a robbery. I bet on both horses and actually won more via Beneil getting the nod... and still acknowledge it's a robbery.

I literally had marked down the loss for my bet on Beneil after round 3.

It's a weird situation. I had absolutely no bias toward this fight and made no bet. I think I judge fights rather correctly (that's what I'm assuming when I'm comparing my scoring to most of MMA site's) and usually, when everyone is claiming a robbery occured, I agree with them.

But in this case it seems that all of the MMA world is honestly claiming it was a robbery and it makes me wonder my judgement. I'm gonna rewatch this fight right now. The first time, I swear I saw Dariush controlling the distance very well as a counterstriker, landing several knees to the body more relevant than Johnson blocked or missed shots. He landed a few snappy jabs too. (I'm only takling about the second round here).

Johnson was the agressor and was able to dictate where the fights standed, I agree with that and understand why a point could be made for him winning the round. But Dariush as a counterstriker ALLOWED him to take the center of the octagon and was succesfully avoiding most of Johnson shots.

To me this fight was like Iaquinta/Masvidal in the sense that Johnson should have been awarded the first 2 rounds but they were closer than most people originally thought and then he coasted and gave away the 3rd round which opened up the door for the wrong decision but far from the worst we've seen.

I'm not an idiot like Dana White with his "DON'T LEAVE IT TO THE JUDGES" ridiculousness but I don't feel bad for Johnson because I think he could have done much more to win the 3rd round and instead it looked like he coasted and that's part of the reason he lost.

i had dariush winning the first round until he got cracked late. second round johnson. third round dariush

i was cheering for dariush but he lost imo. not the worst robbery ever but johnson clearly won the first 2 rounds imo

To me this fight was like Iaquinta/Masvidal in the sense that Johnson should have been awarded the first 2 rounds but they were closer than most people originally thought and then he coasted and gave away the 3rd round which opened up the door for the wrong decision but far from the worst we've seen.

I'm not an idiot like Dana White with his "DON'T LEAVE IT TO THE JUDGES" ridiculousness but I don't feel bad for Johnson because I think he could have done much more to win the 3rd round and instead it looked like he coasted and that's part of the reason he lost.

johnson looked more tired in the 3rd imo. i dont think he was coasting as much as he wasnt as fresh as his opponent

I agree with TS, nowadays everyone screams robbery each time they disagree with a decision

johnson looked more tired in the 3rd imo. i dont think he was coasting as much as he wasnt as fresh as his opponent

If Johnson was tired in the 3rd then he really needs to check his conditioning level because it's not like Dariush ever had him hurt, threatened him, pressured him much or anything that would have caused Johnson to slow down as much as he did in the 3rd. I think he may have thought he had 2 rounds in the bank and was running out the clock at times.

It was much closer than the "robbery of they year" many, including those whose opinion I usually respect, are claiming. I probably would have given the slight edge to MJ but Dariush clearly won round 3 and round 2 was a toss up IMO (although I'd probably give R2 to MJ by a tad).

This is pretty much how I see it. I gave R2 to MJ, but it was closer than most will admit. In the end, he didn't put anything together in R3, which he could have won as well. I bet he won't ever coast in a three round fight again.

I think it was a bit of both. He definitely started to lose some speed in R3 (missing a lot), but he didn't look like he was fighting with the urgency of someone who thought they needed to win that round either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back