Benching for great justice

It's not that hard when you start out at the bench press level of a small woman.

Also, neither of those are maxes. He was doing 105x5 and 180x4. Thats probably like 65lbs in increase in max bench.

You've got that backwards. Your 1 rep max should go up more than your 5 rep max in terms of poundage, if it goes up the same in percentage. Look at the percentages. 105 x 5 is ~85% of 125. 180 x 4 is ~88% of 205. That represents a potential 80lbs gain in 1RM.

SOHP = Standing Overhead Press

That is to distinguish it from the Seated Overhead Press, or SOHP. Wait. This is too confusing. Let me make it simple. Call it the OHP, and if you are doing it seated you should stop being lazy and get up on your own damn feet.

That is to distinguish it from the Seated Overhead Press, or SOHP. Wait. This is too confusing. Let me make it simple. Call it the OHP, and if you are doing it seated you should stop being lazy and get up on your own damn feet.

Is that the smae as the Shoulder Press? What about the Military Press? How is it different?

You've got that backwards. Your 1 rep max should go up more than your 5 rep max in terms of poundage, if it goes up the same in percentage. Look at the percentages. 105 x 5 is ~85% of 125. 180 x 4 is ~88% of 205. That represents a potential 80lbs gain in 1RM.

I don't think your 5RM is that high, or your 4RM for that matter, as a percentage of your 1RM. Still, its real hard to say unless he actually has a 1RM from before and a 1RM from now. My 5RM right now is 195lbs, though, but my 1RM is currently 240, 85% of that would be 204 5RM.

edit: Either way, if you're coming from even a 135 1RM in bench, it is very easy to gain 60lbs in max bench in a month or two with the right nutrition and enough lifting.

I thought SOHP was Strict Overhead Press... but I have much to learn yet, methinks.

Old Man,
there's a guy in my log who has a question about SOHP- wnats to know what the S stands for. Can you come clarify for him? I'm still fuzzy on all the acronyms....
SOHP (American English) = Standing Overhead Press
SOHP (British English) = Strict Overhead Press
SOHP (curl monkey) = Seated Overhead Press
SOHP (hunto) = Push Press

SOHP (American English) = Standing Overhead Press
SOHP (British English) = Strict Overhead Press
SOHP (curl monkey) = Seated Overhead Press
SOHP (hunto) = Push Press

Push Press ! Thats what I was forgetting. Where you hop a bit and drive the weight through with your legs and up overhead .

SOHP is an internet fabrication. I say press or seated press.

find a spotter and start attempting 225...do it assisted for awhile till you can hit it

All this talk of a spotter, does noone practice the Roll of Shame anymore?

I find it funny how the 100kg benchpress seems to be such a mystical goal for the average gymgoer.
I don't know how many times in my life I got asked how one has to train to be able to bench 100kg.

it was a mystical goal for me at 130lb bw : (

If Military is standing, is SOHP Sitting OverHead Press?

So mixed up now...

I think military is standing but with feet together. I just refer to them as either OHP/Push Press or Strict OHP. Hopefully as far as most people on this forum are concerned, there is no such thing as a "seated" OHP.

2 wheel BP = 3 wheel squat = 4 wheel deadlift. I think it's a convenient marker for you to know when you stop sucking.

i've officially stopped sucking.. what comes after that?

my progress thus far seems to be:

curl monkey
noob
sherdog disciple
st. wilhelm's member
not so sucky any more

I think military is standing but with feet together. I just refer to them as either OHP/Push Press or Strict OHP. Hopefully as far as most people on this forum are concerned, there is no such thing as a "seated" OHP.

I don't know, I actually REALLY LIKE seated OHP, but I start them from the bottom position with a good tight arch. I call them "dead OH presses." Coming from a dead stop REALLY teaches you to drive hard from the bottom. Other favourites include "dead bench presses" and "dead squats." All are done from the bottom position.

Back