Benching for great justice

a few things

1.on max day have a meal(mostly carbs) an hour or two before the lift
2.sleep well the day before, be well rested dont be stressed out
3.dont lift 2 days before max day
4.you will need to be benching 195x5 by max day i can do 185x5 and i cant get past 215
5.eat a lot+creatine
6.to get a feel for what 225 feels like try get a spotter and doing negatives with it.
7.cheat a little by using a wider grip. wide grip=less rom to go through.

Edit: Sense of humor is broken today, maybe someone fill find this funny..............
Yeah, it was just a joke. You need to go do some heavy squats to blow off some steam.

Yeah, it was just a joke. You need to go do some heavy squats to blow off some steam.

I would say "Sorry, Old Man" but it might not sound very nice. So I'll just say sorry. I'll go do some pull-ups now..

I think you need to do a 1rm test. I also think you should stop thinking about doing reps of 5s and start working on singles and doubles. You need to get your body adapted to heavy loads and are moved once or twice. Start doing singles at 90-95% of your one rep max.

I would also suggest that start working on leg drive, keeping a tight arch and a max legal wide grip, which will minimize the distance the bar has to travel.

I would also make sure you do a very light work the week before the bet. You want to make sure that you are 100% when you try to hit 225. This means don't do any singles at 90%

Just so you know a 5-rep max converted to a 1-rep max isn't exact science. Start doing triples, doubles, and singles. You might be able to do 185x4 but have a sticking point off the chest that prohibits you from getting 195x1. You won't know until you lower the reps and up the weight.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know its a longshot, but then again, the stakes aren't exactly high. (If I lose, I have to start playing smash brothers on the wii.)

Basically, I think I have a shot for a few reasons: I'm still getting beginner gains, and I'm averaging 5-10lb gains every week. I haven't used any powerlifting techniques like legdrive or arch, so if I can actually get a 5+% increase from that, I should be good.

You're right about starting the doubles. I'll swing a bench into a rack and start doing some doubles, singles, and 225+ holds and negatives to start getting my psych into it. I'll eat an unnecessary amount of food for whatever help that can give me in the meantime.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again!

I find it funny how the 100kg benchpress seems to be such a mystical goal for the average gymgoer.
I don't know how many times in my life I got asked how one has to train to be able to bench 100kg.

I find it funny how the 100kg benchpress seems to be such a mystical goal for the average gymgoer.
I don't know how many times in my life I got asked how one has to train to be able to bench 100kg.

Graedy,
How do I train to bench 100kg??

For your average person it is the basic standard of how to tell if someone is sort of strong. At least in the States, no one really squats or does OHP. You actually have to know something about strength training to have goals, such as 2x bw DL and Squat and bw strict ohp.

2 wheel BP = 3 wheel squat = 4 wheel deadlift. I think it's a convenient marker for you to know when you stop sucking.

2 wheel BP = 3 wheel squat = 4 wheel deadlift. I think it's a convenient marker for you to know when you stop sucking.

Haven't heard Wheel since "throw another wheel on it hommes"

It's funny how that is the case in the gym, but on the internet everyone can bench 315 and squat 2 times bodyweight.

...and can't vid worth a shit...

whoa howd you get your lift up 80 pounds in two months? im impressed

whoa howd you get your lift up 80 pounds in two months? im impressed

It's not that hard when you start out at the bench press level of a small woman.

Also, neither of those are maxes. He was doing 105x5 and 180x4. Thats probably like 65lbs in increase in max bench.

I wish I could put 65 pounds on any lift in two months.

I wish I could put 65 pounds on any lift in two months.

Old Man,
there's a guy in my log who has a question about SOHP- wnats to know what the S stands for. Can you come clarify for him? I'm still fuzzy on all the acronyms....

Back