Bench press series by Dave Tate UPDATED

Thanks DFC

turbozed: That's unpossible for us.... 275 can be made by rare genetic freaks and not by anyone who just wants it. Unless you train like your avatar man now that's a complete different story.

Just curious, he asked if the guy was training for strength or bodybuilding, what would he be teaching differently for bodybuilding?

This has been awesome for helping me fix and develop my form. I feel like I'm doing alot better with the tweaks I've done. Awesome thread in terms of helping the general weight lifting community. :)

Definitely a useful resource; helped enormously with my bench technique. I was wondering whether anyone has seen eric lilliebridge's bench press arch setup and what they thought about it?

I've taken pointers from the entire series, but this last update made me really "get it", i think. I watched it this morning (about twelve hours ago) and just now got back from the gym. I was able to do 19 reps with a little more weight than i did 12 reps with last month. Great stuff to be sure, and also a good indication of how much my technique sucked before... and still does, probably.

I know it's been updated but I wanted to include embedded vids.

edit to remove video embeds, they are now part of OP.

Last edited:
This series has been very helpful to me. I like the emphasis on upper back tightness, cues regarding body positioning under the racks, pressing in a straight line and maintaining elbows/wrists in line while pressing. Applying these cues I have pressed the easiest 95% of my all time 1RM a few weeks ago even when I didnt necessarily feel all that strong.

What have been some of the more useful tips for you guys in this series?

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this series, or another Dave Tate bench press article, but I've found letting the bar settle first, before starting the eccentric very helpful.

This series has been very helpful to me. I like the emphasis on upper back tightness, cues regarding body positioning under the racks, pressing in a straight line and maintaining elbows/wrists in line while pressing. Applying these cues I have pressed the easiest 95% of my all time 1RM a few weeks ago even when I didnt necessarily feel all that strong.

What have been some of the more useful tips for you guys in this series?

Upper back tightness, pulling the bar apart and allout body tightness.
DS, if you don't mind I embed the vids in the first post.

bump for part 7

Your link for part VII goes to part I I think? (though the embedded one is fine).

Didn't learn too much from part VII except the knee and hip height relationship to prevent glutes coming off bench. Otherwise, a pretty good series - helped with my bench.

Back