Bench Press Grip

Mad Greek

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey, some guys told me to try benching without wrapping my thumb around the bar.

I typically have it wrapped around the bar. Looking at mags and stuff sometimes I see pro's wrap the thumb other time not.

I figure not wrapping it would be harder b/c the forearms may not be as involved.

Just curious what anyone else does, or if they recommend one or the other etc.

Thanks,

I wouldn't try it, especially w/ heavy weight. There's really no benefit to it and you risk dropping the weight on your chest.

Amen, thread closed.

Do NOT bench without your thumbs in place. All it takes is one slip.

HULKAMANIA said:
Amen, thread closed.

Do NOT bench without your thumbs in place. All it takes is one slip.

I've seen you post here lots in this forum. So i'll assume you know your stuff.

I use a flase grip (thumbs off) and i havent had one single problem with that style. Granted, it isnt the safest bet but you kinda grow used to something over a long period of time.

Mad Greek said:
I've seen you post here lots in this forum. So i'll assume you know your stuff.

I'm not the most informed poster here by a long shot. I do, however, read up and pay a lot of attention to folks who know more than I do. I think I usually have a grasp on the general, canonical consensus among lifters concerning most basic training concepts. When I don't, the guys around here straighten me out.

Personally, I've never heard any source that I trust advocate benching without your thumbs. I've heard a great many that I do trust flat out forbid it. You can take that for what it's worth.

Many strength coaches believe that when you grip the bar hard, you are able to generate more power. Thats why 99% of all powerlfiters use a normal wrap around grip. If you are starting out it IS your best bet and you should teach yourself to use that grip.
However, there are other that say that when the bar is sitting on the heal of your wrist, there is little to no chance of any type of wrist movement, thus you can drive the bar harder because you are on a much more stable base. I chalk up good and like i said, i havent had a single issue and i believe im stronger then i use a false grip.

I wouldn't do it personally (thumbs off grip). Anyone can say they've never had a single problem benching that way. My thought is that it only takes once.

I don't much see a reason to start benching that way unless some injury forces you to use that type of grip.

KOU In3 said:
I wouldn't do it personally (thumbs off grip). Anyone can say they've never had a single problem benching that way. My thought is that it only takes once.

I don't much see a reason to start benching that way unless some injury forces you to use that type of grip.

for me its flat out 1 single reason....habit

Yah I can see having more power wrapping the thumb. But i'm wondering if not wrapping will develop your chest better. Or if you do it consistantly it's better in the long run.

Mad Greek said:
Yah I can see having more power wrapping the thumb. But i'm wondering if not wrapping will develop your chest better. Or if you do it consistantly it's better in the long run.

i know exactly what you mean....for some reason i always felt i worked my chest more when i used a flase grip. Obviously thats false (pun intended!) but it just felt like i did!

Right.

99% of the best benchers in the world include their thumbs in their bench press. 99% of the folks who spend years of their lives perfecting every tiny portion of their lifts, who scrutinize every minor flaw or inefficient motion, who search tirelessly for every advantage they can scrape out of their form, believe they can move bigger wieghts with a standard grip.

If you're having trouble with wrist motion in your bench, you should work on strengthening your wrists and cleaning up your form. You shouldn't, however, try to bypass your weakness by adopting an inferior grip which might seriously jeopardize your safety under the bar.

I don't want to come off sounding like I think the false grip will eat your babies and rape your wife. I just don't think it's necessary, and I don't think it's a wise idea.

like i said......its habit
i wish i felt stronger when i wrapped my thumbs but i dont
im not saying false grip is the only way to bench
im just saying you'd be surprised at how many people use it.....

ps. As far as saftey, ive heard of more people dropping the bar because its just too heavy and not cause it slipped. False grip accidents are rare...unless someone can prove otherwise

I always wrap my thumbs around the bar when I bench but I use a false grip when I do OH presses

HULKAMANIA said:
I don't want to come off sounding like I think the flase grip will eat your babies and rape your wife. I just don't think it's necessary, and I don't think it's a wise idea.

my false grip ate 6 babies

I also used to get some wrist pain/tendonitis when benching heavy or doing heavy weighted dips. I found that when centering the weight more over the actual radial/ulna bones of my forearm, there was less stress on the wrist.

The reason I mention this is that to use a thumbless grip and be safer you'd need to let your wrist flex back a fair amount to keep the weight in 'the pocket' of your hand. More wrist flex to keep it there = more stress on the wrist. Less wrist flex = much greater risk of the weight slipping and crushing your chest.

IMO, Benching with no thumbs works put less strain on the wrist.
I

where the hell were you guys when i was trying to plead my case??

BAS_FAN said:
im just saying you'd be surprised at how many people use it.....

Yah I agree with you. I think false grips are more common than the hulkster is making it out to be.

Not that it really matters, but arnold is false gripping in the pictures of his encyclopedia.

Back