Bench Press Critique

KidAlchemy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Hullo Lads!

Throwing a wild one here and hoping for some kind of feedback either negative or positive.

Here you have my today 102½kg bench AMRAP and it is supposed to be paused but I can see that they might look a little questionable.

My problem is - as you can see the 4th and 5th rep - that bar comes high on my body and I loose most of the control. I'm not if this happens because "stronger muscles" take over (I don't know what those might be) or if it's really a technical issue.

So thank you in advance, and have at it!

EDIT: Video fixed.

Last edited:
If you have the option, get a lift off. If not then I would start with the bar a bit closer to you to start and set the pins just high enough that you need only a tiny bit of elbow extension to clear the uprights. You're bringing the bar a long way and you're losing a lot of your tightness before the first rep even starts. You're also losing your scapula position.

Can't tell how your elbow position looks from that angle, but I can tell you're not really engaging your lats enough. Think about bending the bar and firing your lats hard and get super tight before you start to lower the bar to your chest. That should help keep you in the groove a bit better.

I would bring your feet a bit further back. If you prefer to keep the heels on the ground then go as far back as you can without the heels coming up. You want to think about driving your heels through the floor and squeezing your ass as tight as you can to make sure you're getting your leg drive and keeping your ass on the bench (not saying your's did from what I can tell, but I didn't see much leg drive going on either).

I think the best bench press technique advice I ever got was that a solid bench set-up should be uncomfortable. You should be extremely tight the entire time and it isn't a fun experience.

It looks pretty decent to me, Kid. You've got a nice arch, your ass firmly planted on the bench, and your feet firmly planted on the ground.

My bench is only 355, so I can't really give you any other useful insights here. Perhaps @JimRussel could lend some help?

I like your sig, dude. "Are we the Hunted? No, we are the Hunters!" Jawohl!

You're setting up pretty far forward on the bench. That makes unracking the bar a struggle, as yours appeared to be in the video.

You basically lost all your tightness when you unracked the bar and, once that happens, it's hard to get it back.

You should essentially pulling the bar straight out horizontally. In the video, you press it up and back, and then pull it out with difficulty.

How wide is your grip? It definitely looks like your slow point is off the chest. As you fatigue, the bar is probably drifting back and your elbows flaring as a way to get your triceps more involved.

But, for you, I think a lot of it is nailing your setup so that you can maintain tightness throughout the set.

If you have the option, get a lift off. If not then I would start with the bar a bit closer to you to start and set the pins just high enough that you need only a tiny bit of elbow extension to clear the uprights. You're bringing the bar a long way and you're losing a lot of your tightness before the first rep even starts. You're also losing your scapula position.
I think this is something that I'm trying to do but failing in doing so. Also I just recently switched gyms so I'm still trying to get used to these racks.

Can't tell how your elbow position looks from that angle, but I can tell you're not really engaging your lats enough. Think about bending the bar and firing your lats hard and get super tight before you start to lower the bar to your chest. That should help keep you in the groove a bit better.
Now I know for a fact this is something that I usually forget to do so it's no surprise that you don't see it.

I would bring your feet a bit further back. If you prefer to keep the heels on the ground then go as far back as you can without the heels coming up. You want to think about driving your heels through the floor and squeezing your ass as tight as you can to make sure you're getting your leg drive and keeping your ass on the bench (not saying your's did from what I can tell, but I didn't see much leg drive going on either).
That almost is as back as my mobility allows me to go and my lower body is pretty tight as I have to engage my hamstrings when I don't have the weight of the on top of me.

The reason I have my heels on the ground is because I'm not sure if Finnish federations judge the bench (if it's heels down or what) so I'm just preparing myself. And I feel more leg drive with heels down anyway.

I think the best bench press technique advice I ever got was that a solid bench set-up should be uncomfortable. You should be extremely tight the entire time and it isn't a fun experience.
Thanks, man! I'll make a list of what you said and bring it to my next bench session.

It looks pretty decent to me, Kid. You've got a nice arch, your ass firmly planted on the bench, and your feet firmly planted on the ground.

My bench is only 355, so I can't really give you any other useful insights here. Perhaps @JimRussel could lend some help?

I like your sig, dude. "Are we the Hunted? No, we are the Hunters!" Jawohl!
Thanks for lightning the J signal. He gave some really solid advice. And thanks in general man!

You're setting up pretty far forward on the bench. That makes unracking the bar a struggle, as yours appeared to be in the video.

You basically lost all your tightness when you unracked the bar and, once that happens, it's hard to get it back.

You should essentially pulling the bar straight out horizontally. In the video, you press it up and back, and then pull it out with difficulty.
Thanks for pointing that out also. As I said I thought I was doing what you prescribed but fail to do so. Will find a sweet spot for this.

How wide is your grip? It definitely looks like your slow point is off the chest. As you fatigue, the bar is probably drifting back and your elbows flaring as a way to get your triceps more involved.

But, for you, I think a lot of it is nailing your setup so that you can maintain tightness throughout the set.
Middle finger on the ring. You think it's too wide? Used to be pinkies on the rings.

My slow/weak point is definitely off the chest and what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

Thanks man! Really good stuff. As with Steve I'll make a list and bring it with me.

Honestly, just watch this. His first point is your big issue.

Watched the video at the gym and tried it out. Helped out a lot and felt more in control.

Thanks, man! Really do appreciate it.

I suppose if you want to get "stronger" then you should listen to all these "experienced lifters" with their "knowledge of correct technique".

But if you really want to perfect the fine art of benching you need look no further than the Swolediers Benching and Curling FAQ;

Frequently Asked Questions on the Bench and Curl

"What is the most effective way of bench pressing? Should I be doing "PL style" or flat bench?"

Well, ultimately the correct answer is "whichever way will let you get your swole on the most".

But there are a few other factors to consider. First, in scientific research on Bros, almost 97% of them agreed with the statement "Dude, those powerlifting dudes, man, I don't know, bro... they mad strong and all, but they lifting their chests up and shit, I don't know, seems like cheating bro, and besides, bro, they fat". So if you are considering impressing your bros, you should probably use flat bench.

However, another issue is the effect it will have on your polo shirt. If the bench is dirty, or your shirt is white, then flat bench may make your shirt dirty. If you just came to bench to get your swole on before heading to the bar (which we can assume is the case), then PL-style bench, where most of your torso will be off the bench, may be preferable.

"What rep range should I work in?"

Typically, very, very high reps. Start off with 5x12 or something like that, then do 21s and drop sets and the like. Remember, these give you a wicked pump, and your Bros will give you mad respect. Remember that you don't need to go down all the way, and you can use your spotter as much as you want. Bros don't care about "ROM" and "form" and other fat powerlifter stuff like that- they want to see really heavy weight going up and down a little bit a whole bucnh of times.

"What are the best assistance exercises for bench"?

The best exercises are probably decline bench and tricep brodowns. But before you even consider brodowns, make sure you can move the whole heavy stack. Nothing looks less impressive than just moving, say, half the stack. And don't let other exercises take time away from the bench. That is where the real work gets done.

"How should I progress my bench? Do you recommend a regular weekly or monthly progressing, or some sort of "waving" approach?"

Dude, I don't even know what you are talking about. High reps. Drop sets. 21s. Swole on. That's pretty much it. It's not rocket surgery.

"I've heard it said that neither the bench or the curl are very functional. What does that mean? Is it true?"

Well, this is some pretty complicated lifting science, and it's not really necessary to understand it. But "functional" basically means that you do it on one of those inflatable balls or a wobbly board. So, yes, strictly speaking bench and curl aren't very functional, because you bench on a bench and you curl either standing up or sometimes seated, or on one knee. Now normally that doesn't matter, because what matters is getting your pump on, and also getting the respect of your Bros. But every now and then you get one of those CrossFit girls in a gym, and they are really into functional exercises. So you may want to make bench and curl more functional in order to bang one of them. In this case, what you can do is curl while seated on one of those balls, or possibly rest your feet one one while benching. Obviously, your Bros may give you some shit, but good Bros will understand that you are doing it for the girl.

"What are the most important aspects of curl technique?"

The curl is a very technical lift which can take a long time to master, but here are a few pointers. First, be sure to be wearing a sleeveless shirt so people can really see your gunz. Second, remember- pale skin just doesn't bring about your peaks, so tan (either from a sunbed or spray-on) is essential. Grunting really loud while curling can be helpful, and also remember, when you've finished your set, just drop the dumbbells and scream "YES!!!!". If your Bros are around, it can be helpful to chest-bump each other.

"I've heard that curling with a straight bar, or maxing out a curl, can cause injuries? Is that true?"

No, it's not true. It's a dirty, filthy lie. Actually, nothing promotes health and well-being more than heavy curling. There are actual, recorded cases of people with damaged ligaments, breakages and even actual dead people who were found to have been restored to full health and aliveness as a result of maxing out a curl with a straight bar.

This particularly pernicious rumour actually dates back to the Cold War. Evil Soviet scientists tried to win the war by making their soldiers and spies stronger than Americans by developing something called "Olympic Weightlifting". But that's basically stupid- I mean, you just put the bar over your head. How are you going to get massive pythons like that? You aren't. So the American soldiers, who were all benching and curling, just got stronger and stronger while the Soviets just wore those funny leotards and threw bars above their heads. Before you knew it, the Soviet Union was falling apart. In a last desperate attempt to save their side, the spies of the KGB started spreading vicious and foul rumours that the bench and curl, the basis of America's military might (and indeed entire culture) actually caused injuries. Of course, while it was too late to arrest the decline of the Soviet Union, the damage to the reputation of the curl was done.

More FAQs to follows

This was great. Well done.

Back