Bench > OHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatAlToTheMax

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume you can bench more than you can OHP? Say you haven't trained bench for 2 years but you have trained OHP and you can OHP 315. Can you assume you can bench at least 315? I don't know why it would matter, just thought or it the other day and now I'm curious.

I'd say it depends on whether you did some other exercises that involve your pecs.

Like decline flys on a bosu ball.

I'd say probably no. If you work both with most of your focus on OHP, sure. If you spent 2 years doing OHP twice a week and not benching at all.. it doesn't really seem likely. It would depend a lot on what your other workouts are like, too, I think.

I do think they would be extremely close, though, and your bench would surely go up from increasing you OHP.

Anyone who can strict press 315 is going to be able to bench it.

anyone who can strict press 315 is a fucking badass.

i cant see how he wouldnt be able to bench around the same

Some of the old school pressers didn't bench much more than they pressed, but a few things need to considered:

-Most of them only benched on a lark
-Tricep strength (which is so important for benching) only needed to be as strong as their press demanded. Which would be considerably less than a properly trained bench press would require
-Benches didn't even have uprights back then

Regardless, if you can strict press a weight, you sure as shit better be able to bench it, or something is fucked up.

Carnal, i really enjoyed reading your training logs. Why dont you have a log here anymore?

Carnal, i really enjoyed reading your training logs. Why dont you have a log here anymore?

Because I went on a 9 month narcotic binge, during which I didn't train, and am now weak like a little girl except for my DL.

The first session would probably be rough, but once he got into the groove he'd be throwing it about IMO

Also, I wish I could OHP 315

I would rule the world

I remember reading an article by Bill Starr in Milo about the press, and he said in the old York gang, anybody that could press 300, could bench 400 and most rarely did the bench.

Doesn't common sense tell you that?

Given how many people believe that the airplane does not take off, it is safe to say that a basic understanding of physics is not common.

Given how many people believe that the airplane does not take off, it is safe to say that a basic understanding of physics is not common.

Let go of the frisbee, Chase.....let it go.

Let go of the frisbee, Chase.....let it go.

If I wouldn't let BW have the frisbee, what makes you think you can take it?

IMG_2046.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back