Ben Askren still isn't sold on Khamzat Chimaev:

One of his pre-UFC fights he failed to get the takedown but was able to knock the guy out. That shouldn't happen again in the UFC especially if he's intending to climb the ranks this fast. If Khamzat taking his opponent down is not a given like it is with Khabib and on top of that if his cardio is not on the same level, i can't see why the train shouldn't get derailed. Only takes a guy with good hands & very good tdd.

Reactions: Gio
Khamzat / Ferguson. Book it Dano

Sure, Chimaev hasn't beaten any great fighters yet, but please: when was the last time someone entered the UFC and shut his opponents down like that?
With grappling especially, because there's some strikers who get a few quick KO's, but when was the last time we saw a wrestler obliterate his first two opponents like that?

yeah but look at the 2 guys he obliterated. they're made for him to destroy like that.

yeah but look at the 2 guys he obliterated. they're made for him to destroy like that.
Yeah, there could've been harder match ups, but ask yourself this: if you'd have put let's say Kamaru Usman against them, do you really think these victories would've been any more dominant?

Because i don't think so and while these guys weren't the cream of the crop, they were absolutely reasonable choices (judging by their overall level) for another prospect (Chimaev) to go up against.

He's a can. Lawler almost killed him .

YyslyNA.gif

giphy.gif
that fight was a milli second from being stopped , Look like Herb even shuffled in to stop it....but hesitated.

Yeah, there could've been harder match ups, but ask yourself this: if you'd have put let's say Kamaru Usman against them, do you really think these victories would've been any more dominant?

Because i don't think so and while these guys weren't the cream of the crop, they were absolutely reasonable choices (judging by their overall level) for another prospect (Chimaev) to go up against.

i get what you're saying but do you think Jon Jones would've been anymore dominant vs the guys Johnny Walker slept in seconds? i don't, but that doesn't mean Johnny Walker is as good as Jon Jones.

i get what you're saying but do you think Jon Jones would've been anymore dominant vs the guys Johnny Walker slept in seconds? i don't, but that doesn't mean Johnny Walker is as good as Jon Jones.
Haha, ironically i thought of that comparison for a long time too (and it's a good one) BUT (!) i think a fighter beating his opponents as dominantly as it gets via grappling is a much safer indicator for evaluating his skill than someone getting some quick knockouts/TKOs - at least it seems to me that way.

Just another reason why I only consider UFC records. LOL

That just translates to me like you casually watch the sport. Askren did have legit wins, noone ever said he was a GOAT.

Even if you dont watch anything outside the UFC, to not consider any wins outside of the UFC as "counting" as retarded.

With that logic you dont acknowkedge Fedor at all and know a guy like Wand to only be someone who was 1 win, 1 loss. Youre missing out terribly.

Just think, if Askren had never joined the UFC, some people would be arguing that he is a GOAT contender. Just another reason why I only consider UFC records. LOL

Not everyone wants to fight for cheap in the UFC

He’s only saying he doesn’t know what to think of him yet, which is a fair stance.

One of his pre-UFC fights he failed to get the takedown but was able to knock the guy out. That shouldn't happen again in the UFC especially if he's intending to climb the ranks this fast. If Khamzat taking his opponent down is not a given like it is with Khabib and on top of that if his cardio is not on the same level, i can't see why the train shouldn't get derailed. Only takes a guy with good hands & very good tdd.
Lmaooo that dude was an undefeated sambo world champ khabib tier caliber nobody can take him down he'd be top 5 in the ufc

Askren is jealous because unlike him, ChimaGOAT is the real deal.

Sure, Chimaev hasn't beaten any great fighters yet, but please: when was the last time someone entered the UFC and shut his opponents down like that?
With grappling especially, because there's some strikers who get a few quick KO's, but when was the last time we saw a wrestler obliterate his first two opponents like that?
Cain
Weidman
Davis
Gillespie
Carmont
Vemola
Some dagestani fighters

The list is pretty long actually. You must be a new fan.

Cain
Weidman
Davis
Gillespie
Carmont
Vemola
Some dagestani fighters

The list is pretty long actually. You must be a new fan.
I am indeed a fairly new fan, but i doubt anyone of these guys has outlandef his first two opponents 192-2.

Back