Ben Askren still isn't sold on Khamzat Chimaev:

Bens entire career is a mystery to me. He was a heck of a talent (no striking though) but by the time he got to the UFC his body was shot. Hard to say what he would have done earlier in his career. You do get complacent fighting weaker opponents as well.

He's a can. Lawler almost killed him .

YyslyNA.gif

giphy.gif
Ben striking is one of the most 'impressive' striking I'd ever seen in the sport.

Hopefully Maycee Barber in his gym don't imitate Askren-esque spinning attack. It looked like badly manufactured beyblade.

He's right of course. Popular prospects always get hyped up too soon.

I think Chimaev striking is still questionable.

Grappling-wise I think he is not the master of the art like Khabib does, but what Chimaev has that Khabib doesn't is longer limbs, longer arms and legs to secured effective locked-ground and pound for the finish.

Of course after the fight a lot of our questions will be answered.

Reasonable thoughts from Ben that somehow rattle cages

You'd have to be an idiot to be "sold" on a fighter for beating up two Cage Warriors level guys
This. I think the hype comes from the quick turn around and how dominant he looked, plus the comparisons to Khabib. Way too early though. If he looks good against Gerald that's huge. Gerald isn't ranked but he's a decent and dangerous MW and Khamzat is really a WW who takes MW fights to stay active so if he can casually walk through a solid MW en route to fighting Maia that really says something.

I think Chimaev striking is still questionable.

Grappling-wise I think he is not the master of the art like Khabib does, but what Chimaev has that Khabib doesn't is longer limbs, longer arms and legs to secured effective locked-ground and pound for the finish.

Of course after the fight a lot of our questions will be answered.
One difference I see is that Chimaev doesn't really use standing passes and standing GnP like Khabib does. Khabib uses both and toggles between them which is huge because I think his best GnP work comes from when he's standing over his opponent and raining down those big shots.

askren got a bit of a raw deal from his critics. beat lawler (no matter what others say about the fight), lost in a very unprecedented and unexpected way with masvidal, and lost on the ground to a beast in maia. i don't think he would have been champ, but i think he would have won a few more fights in the ufc had he stayed around, and had gotten there earlier.
Against the current top guys it's hard to see him win. I don't think he beats anyone in the top 5, I honestly think Masvidal would beat him over a 5 round fight too.

No one should be sold on Khamzat yet. The next couple of fights will give a better indication of where he's really at.

Back