Media Ben Askren Says he'd "absolutely" come out of retirement to fight Masvidal UFC 300

Askren just wants one more massive pay day and I really doubt he thinks he has a chance of winning.
Fight ain't happening.

I think there is though a possibility of Masvidal vs Nate Diaz II happening on a Main card. (maybe UFC300)

Like him or not (I have always been a Masvidal fan) the UFC will know that Jorge Masvidal is a draw. He has a big following, especially in florida Latino population.
Nate Diaz is also a draw, UFC also know that, so ....I think UFC could try to tempt both into UFC300 on the main card. Only thing is.... they will BOTH be really expensive to hire at this point, 7figures for both, so whether the UFC think it's worth trying to do a deal with Masvidal and Nate Diaz given that they'll both demand a boatload of cash.... not sure. Obviously neither of them is under contract with UFC at this time but both have hinted at potentially returning.

Masvidal would have beat him then, and would still beat him now imo

A fight no one asked for or wants to see. Lets move on

Askren just wants one more massive pay day and I really doubt he thinks he has a chance of winning.
Fight ain't happening.

I think there is though a possibility of Masvidal vs Nate Diaz II happening on a Main card. (maybe UFC300)

Like him or not (I have always been a Masvidal fan) the UFC will know that Jorge Masvidal is a draw. He has a big following, especially in florida Latino population.
Nate Diaz is also a draw, UFC also know that, so ....I think UFC could try to tempt both into UFC300 on the main card. Only thing is.... they will BOTH be really expensive to hire at this point, 7figures for both, so whether the UFC think it's worth trying to do a deal with Masvidal and Nate Diaz given that they'll both demand a boatload of cash.... not sure. Obviously neither of them is under contract with UFC at this time but both have hinted at potentially returning.

That'd be so dumb.

Nate v. Conor 3 is the only Nate fight I want to see.

Shit fight. I want fights that make sense for the sport. Ty

This is embarrassing to even discuss. Askren was out his prime when he first hit the UFC. Now, its just dumb with all his injuries.

This is embarrassing to even discuss. Askren was out his prime when he first hit the UFC. Now, its just dumb with all his injuries.
Askren never had a true prime when he was elite. He barely beat Jay Hieron and was lucky the Santos fight was stopped in ONE. He did pretty well with the one tool he had (wrestling) for a not-very-athletic guy. But his best wins were against strikers (Lima and a very green Koreshkov) who had no TDD. He wouldn't have sniffed a title shot if he fought in the UFC instead of Bellator when he began. There were too many good wrestlers, wrestle-boxers and strikers with decent TDD.

How about Askren vs. Bo Nickal, lol? The size discrepancy would be no worse than Askren vs. Jake Paul, and at least they both have the same background...unlike Ben trying to do pure boxing (horrible idea).

Askren never had a true prime when he was elite. He barely beat Jay Hieron and was lucky the Santos fight was stopped in ONE. He did pretty well with the one tool he had (wrestling) for a not-very-athletic guy. But his best wins were against strikers (Lima and a very green Koreshkov) who had no TDD. He wouldn't have sniffed a title shot if he fought in the UFC instead of Bellator when he began. There were too many good wrestlers, wrestle-boxers and strikers with decent TDD.
Agreed. Way too 1D in his prime. Never changed either anyways. But he'd beat Masvidal in his physical prime especially Masvidal now.

Why would you not want to see Ben get revenge on masvidal
In 2020, 2021, maybe.

It's 2024. 4.5 years since the knee. 4 years since Askren last fight in MMA. Almost 3 years since Jake Paul embarrassed him.

Not to mention a hip replacement, which literally no elite athlete has ever performed with.

And those are just the reasons Askren has no business in the cage. Mas isn't much better. AND they're both 39 going on 40.

I guess if UFC 300 = legacy fights from totally out of shape has beens who were never great in the UFC to begin with, this would be main event worthy.

If there is demand for this then we can officially say that MMA is in a terrible state, I mean it's DYING boss.

Reactions: mkt
Askren doesn't deserve back in the UFC. His lack of skill basically made the careers of both Masvidal and Fake Paul

Agreed. Way too 1D in his prime. Never changed either anyways. But he'd beat Masvidal in his physical prime especially Masvidal now.
Yeah, prime-vs-prime I'd still give Mas a puncher's (or kick/knee/elbow/etc.) chance, but Askren could definitely win a UD. A very old Maia put a wrestling clinic on Masvidal, and Maia was never an elite wrestler, just elite with his BJJ.

In 2020, 2021, maybe.

It's 2024. 4.5 years since the knee. 4 years since Askren last fight in MMA. Almost 3 years since Jake Paul embarrassed him.

Not to mention a hip replacement, which literally no elite athlete has ever performed with.

And those are just the reasons Askren has no business in the cage. Mas isn't much better. AND they're both 39 going on 40.

I guess if UFC 300 = legacy fights from totally out of shape has beens who were never great in the UFC to begin with, this would be main event worthy.
I’d still like to see him avenge that loss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back