Ben Askren Predicts Maycee Barber Will Be Champion by 2021

What are her chances of beating Valentina?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
jRi8_Mvlq_g1Sw76VkluknCf7UGQ1bmuLPXduVXs2ZU.jpg

"I coach her," said Ben Askren. "You know, maybe show her how to do a technique. She’s awesome, fantastic; she’s going to blast Roxy [Modafferi]. I think she’s going to get a title shot by the end of the year.”

When asked if Barber will have fought for the title by this time next year, Askren would go on to say he believes she’ll be champion by 2021 and doesn’t believe it’s much of a bold prediction.

“She’ll probably fight Roxy; then maybe Jessica Eye, someone in that range; then probably for the title.”

Askren was asked how he thinks a fight with Barber and champion Valentina Shevchenko would go down and he said with more time, he could see Barber earning a victory.

“It’ll be tough but November might be a different story. She’s only 21; she’s getting a lot better really fast.”

Since earning a contract with the UFC on Dana White’s Contender Series, Barber has been public that her lifelong goal has been to beat the record set by light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and become the youngest UFC champion in the history of the promotion.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/ben-askren-predicts-maycee-barber-will-be-champion-by-2021/

Who is in macees division?? If aspen Ladd is in her division I’d pick aspen to beat macee.

Top 5 for sure, but I don't see her beating Valentina

He's being optimistic but he no way believes for sure that she will be champion.
He's just giving the usual optimistic talk a trainer gives.

Realistically Valentina is a killer in her prime ATM and Maycee Barber is nowhere near that.

Ben's predictions have never missed the mark. A fight with Valentina in a year or so would be interesting though. Hopefully Barber keeps improving.

She's not beating Valentina in 2020. Obviously Val is skilled. She's also very good at winning rounds on judges scorecards. I think that's the biggest challenge presented to 125ers.

I think March marks the one year anniversary of Barber's planned temporary move to 125. Curious to see how it plays out. Probably waits until she takes an L at 125 then returns to 115. And gets roasted for it.

Maycee beat Valntina? I put her chances at

125 is not her ideal weight class. Honestly, I am not sure she yet has the discipline to compete at the highest level.

jRi8_Mvlq_g1Sw76VkluknCf7UGQ1bmuLPXduVXs2ZU.jpg

Getting from that pick even to 125 is going to be one hell of a chore. She should beat Roxi though.

115 Maycee is cute as a button though.

152549264531870903_167698837245202_6366115489520812032_n.jpg

Last edited:
Maycee has a _much_ better chance to become a champ compared to Ben but she is extremely unlikely to beat Valentina.

Right now, low.

By 2021 with more experience and wins under her belt, high.

She should do well as long as she isn't being coached to try quick takedowns from the opening bell.

Boom roasted!

Valentina is too scared to take any risks and Barber could find a big punch. She’s a live dog against Valentina

At this point i wouldn't give Barber a 50/50 chance against Jessica Eye, let alone Shevchenco

Back