Ben Askren Predicts Maycee Barber Will Be Champion by 2021

What are her chances of beating Valentina?

• Total voters
Aspen is a bantamweight; Maycee is a flyweight.

Top ten ranks in the flyweight division:
Champion: Valentina Shevchenko
1 Katlyn Chookagian
2 Jessica Eye
3 Joanne Calderwood
4 Jennifer Maia
5 Viviane Araujo
6 Lauren Murphy
7 Roxanne Modafferi
8 Andrea Lee
9 Maycee Barber

Who does Barber likely beat on this list right now? We all agree that Barber most likely wouldn't beat Shevchenko now. Most of us agree that a day might come when Barber will be able to do so. But, how good is Barber now? That might generate more diverse opinions. I think she loses to Maia and maybe Calderwood and maybe Chookagian. I think Barber vs. Lee could be a fun fight, but I think Barber's power would take her to victory.

Jarl

ScarceMiserableDogwoodtwigborer-size_restricted.gif

Top 5 for sure, but I don't see her beating Valentina

I have no clue who fights in what weight for WMMA so I voted likely and then I saw it’s Vals division. It’s gonna be a no for me dawg but agree she can be top five.

Division has zero talent, but it can change if girls like Andrade, Suarez & Gadelha would like to change weightclass.

As a fast track to her title shot she could call out Antonina. If she beats up Valentina's dear sister, she'll have the fight for the belt pretty much guaranteed because Valentina would want revenge. On the downside she'd have to fight an angry Valentina though...

I really believe she could win 115 title sooner than later and as far as shev goes - hypothetically- a fight goes down sometime next year, Valentina the betting favorite but it wouldn't be significant. I'm telling you- Maycee is man like with those bombs and elbows. She'll be an enormous championed superstar. I'm even at the cusp of giving the Franklin U gurantee on it.

I predict Ben Askren may see a barber by 2021.

Who does Barber likely beat on this list right now? We all agree that Barber most likely wouldn't beat Shevchenko now. Most of us agree that a day might come when Barber will be able to do so. But, how good is Barber now? That might generate more diverse opinions. I think she loses to Maia and maybe Calderwood and maybe Chookagian. I think Barber vs. Lee could be a fun fight, but I think Barber's power would take her to victory.

Jarl

She beats Murphy for sure, likely Roxy, and that's about it. We need to remember that Barber has poor fundamentals in both striking & grappling and her defence is crap. She relies heavily on her strength, toughness, and aggression to win fights. She struggles a lot unless she can physically overwhelm her opponents or they lose their composure after getting hit. The ranked fighters in the division aren't going to panic and stand there eating punches like Robertson or be 2 divisions smaller like Cifers. They can all hit harder than JJ Aldrich and they're all bigger & tougher than her since they're actual Flyweights and not blown up Straws.

Then we need to consider her almost complete lack of striking defence, when an unranked SW in Aldrich who is on the slower side, not particularly athletic, and fairly average in skills is lighting her up on the feet, it's bad. Someone like Araujo who can hit with power will have a very good chance of flattening her. Lee, Chookagian, Eye, and JoJo would all have a good chance of face punching her silly on the feet, and Lee is the only one she'd have a decent chance of taking down. Maia is fundamentally sound enough to grind out a decision. Then there's Mazo and Antonina outside the top 10, both of them would run a striking clinic on Barber and so far she hasn't shown the wrestling & grappling skills to get them down. Going 1 for 5 on takedowns against a blown up Atomweight (Cifers) is questionable.

Honestly, I'd pick all the top 5 Straw weights over her based on what she's shown so far. Yes she's fun to watch and has a lot of potential, but IMO her skills suck and she's not nearly as good as hyped.

Back