belt knots

i wasn't gonna bother watching that, but i am glad i did, that knot i have never seen used before, but i am gonna start using it.

call me crazy, but this is what a new person should post about. I actually just find the middle place it low on my hips below my belly button and wrap both sides and then tie the same type of knot that they have in the video, but I've seen that way done a few times as well...I just never tried it myself.

That's pretty cool. I'm going to try it out myself, as well as teach it to my son. He's infamous for having his belt come untied while rolling ALL the time.

It's gotten to be one of his nicknames "the belt-less wonder" to go along with his others like "sir taps a lot", "the fish", and "the flying mount me".:icon_twis

That's pretty cool. I'm going to try it out myself, as well as teach it to my son. He's infamous for having his belt come untied while rolling ALL the time.

It's gotten to be one of his nicknames "the belt-less wonder" to go along with his others like "sir taps a lot", "the fish", and "the flying mount me".:icon_twis

...wow I hope you don't let your son read your posts...b/c you aren't helping his self-esteem at all.

I never learned how to tie my belt properly. When I made purple belt, I humiliated myself in front of everybody by being unable to tie my new purple belt on with anything but the most hideous, sucky knot possible. It was vertical, with one end going straight up, and the other pointing straight down.

It was very embarassing for all concerned. I have since learned how to tie it right.

I never learned how to tie my belt properly. When I made purple belt, I humiliated myself in front of everybody by being unable to tie my new purple belt on with anything but the most hideous, sucky knot possible. It was vertical, with one end going straight up, and the other pointing straight down.

It was very embarassing for all concerned. I have since learned how to tie it right.

I say you make a tying your belt the Zankou way complete with a belt tying FAQ.

...wow I hope you don't let your son read your posts...b/c you aren't helping his self-esteem at all.

Haha! Don't worry. For one thing, he knows how to take (and give) a good ribbing. He's a teenager, not a little kid. Also, he doesn't read / post on Sherdog at all. So, I'm good either way. :icon_chee

The way I tie it now is good. It looks good, but it can come loose, which I like. If your belt doesn't come loose, it can be bad for you because your opponent gets awesome belt grip.

Too loose, then gi lapel manipulation is easy. Too tight, and you give your opponent an awesome belt grip. I want it just tight enought that it gets loose when you pull hard on the belt, but that still keeps the lapels tucked.

that is crazy, did your instructor say anything. when i started my instructor never taught me how to tie my belt so i just tied it however. now every time i see my pic with relson i cringe at my stupidity, although he didn't notice lol.

does it really matter the way you tie it b/c my shit almost always comes undone, or do i just need to not be fat?

I tied my belt like the video for a while. It doesn't unravel easily like the traditional knot. You can tuck the belt ends in between the two layers if you want for an interesting look.
The traditional knot is pretty much the same for every martial art. When I took TKD it was always described as having a "fortune cookie" in the knot.

i liked the thicknes/stiffness of that belt anyone have any recomendations

That's what I call the "kata-knot" and is how I tie my belt since about 2 years ago.

Looks better, sits flatter and doesnt come undone so easily.

It's a square knot. Right over left, left over right. You people would make horrible saliors.

hahahaaha

that video blew my mind though

Back