• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

belph bear's fabulous rainbow pub

DrBdan

Something clever
@Silver
Reaction score
Welcome to the Pub!

Welcome O' Bro of the Iron.

Put away your cares,
wash the rust and blood stained chalk from your hands,
order up a pint.

Time stands still here.

rainbow-bar-menukarte.jpg

DoubleRainbowBear.jpg

belph doesn't get capital letters, ever. Not even as the beginning of the previous sentence.

ITT belph is so innocuous not even the sliding doors at Wal-mart open for him.

I saw the Counselor yesterday. Given all of the talent involved it was surprisingly bad. I blame the script. It looked good and the acting was good but the plot was obvious and the dialog was terrible at times. Definitely not worth 2 hours of your time.

What was it about? I haven't even heard of that movie.

It's about a lawyer that gets involved with drug trafficking and as expected things go bad. It's written by Carmac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men) and directed by Ridley Scott. Michael Fassbender plays the Counselor and Penelope Cruz is his fiance. Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, and Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men, Skyfall) are also in it.

The plot is very obvious and uninteresting. It has a lot of dialog that I think was supposed to be deep and compelling but often came off as contrived and pointless (though it has some interesting points). The cinematography and visuals were good and the acting was solid so I'm inclined to say that the script was the biggest issue. It felt like I was supposed to think it was a really compelling, gritty movie but it wasn't.

It's about a lawyer that gets involved with drug trafficking and as expected things go bad. It's written by Carmac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men) and directed by Ridley Scott. Michael Fassbender plays the Counselor and Penelope Cruz is his fiance. Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, and Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men, Skyfall) are also in it.

The plot is very obvious and uninteresting. It has a lot of dialog that I think was supposed to be deep and compelling but often came off as contrived and pointless (though it has some interesting points). The cinematography and visuals were good and the acting was solid so I'm inclined to say that the script was the biggest issue. It felt like I was supposed to think it was a really compelling, gritty movie but it wasn't.

Very few hollywoodesque movies have me feeling compelled, and or gritted.

I could see how that could be something that sounds like it should be good, but doesn't quite come together. My initial thought is how is it that a lawyer would just happen to get involved in drug trafficking? How would you make that work without it either being a Breaking Bad thing, having the lawyer make surprisingly stupid decisions, or relying on some unrealistic twist?

Posting this here, because I hate the heavies.

Is it just me, or is no one in the media pointing out how Hendricks gave the best performance of his life (and finally didn't fade in the 3rd round) after opting out of voluntary/additional drug testing? I mean, they tore Overeem apart for his 'missed' test and Hendricks is getting a free pass. I judged the fight for Hendricks and was really surprised that GSP got the nod, but the VADA/WADA situation was completely ridiculous and made Hendricks look like a card-carrying cheater. I'd love to see him piss hot after the fight.

Combined with Dana White's bullshit of throwing fighters under the bus and the moronic judging and referee-ing going on, I'm really frustrated with MMA right now and might need to take some time off as a fan. I don't think it's a coincidence that PPV numbers and ratings are down. We've had wayyyyy too many important fights recently with crappy decisions.

I think GSP won the fight.
I think Doc had it right and we forget that GSP is always so dominant and for once we saw him "humanized" for the lack of a better term. Same thing with Gus V Jones. Jones won the fight, but you could argue either way.

What the cereal fuck? How is this even possible? I don't ev.. What?

970 triple in wraps. I think Doc should back out of the belph bear pub and edit it for Malan. W.....O......W....

Very few hollywoodesque movies have me feeling compelled, and or gritted.

Traffic is an example of a similar but far superior movie however it came out in 2000 so it's not exactly recent. I can't think of the last recent movie I watched that I'd consider compelling.

Life of Pi was compelling actually but mostly because of the amazing visuals. The plot was meh.

I could see how that could be something that sounds like it should be good, but doesn't quite come together. My initial thought is how is it that a lawyer would just happen to get involved in drug trafficking? How would you make that work without it either being a Breaking Bad thing, having the lawyer make surprisingly stupid decisions, or relying on some unrealistic twist?

They don't really explain the details but basically he has business partners that have connections to the drug world that have made a lot of money being part of the illegal drug trade so just prior to the start of the movie he has decided to get in on it as well. That is one part that doesn't feel contrived, it's essentially people with money trying to get more money.

Traffic is an example of a similar but far superior movie however it came out in 2000 so it's not exactly recent. I can't think of the last recent movie I watched that I'd consider compelling.

Life of Pi was compelling actually but mostly because of the amazing visuals. The plot was meh.

I think traffic had its moments but it was mostly how it was film rather than the movie itself. I felt it was effective that way. Much like Saving Private Ryan was.

Life of Pi was spectaular in terms of visuals, the stroy is nice, but not a great movie.

I think traffic had its moments but it was mostly how it was film rather than the movie itself. I felt it was effective that way. Much like Saving Private Ryan was.

Life of Pi was spectaular in terms of visuals, the stroy is nice, but not a great movie.

I'd rate Traffic 7/10 or 8/10, either way worth a watch while I'd rate The Counselor 4/10 and say it's not worth wasting your time and money.

That doesn't sound like it makes for a very sympathetic protagonist. It might be all gritty and modern to have a greedy bastard for a protagonist, but it makes for an uphill battle for me to actually care what happens to him.

[YT]zSVkqwDD1TM[/YT]

FS also posted this in the main.

I'd rate Traffic 7/10 or 8/10, either way worth a watch while I'd rate The Counselor 4/10 and say it's not worth wasting your time and money.

I'll wait for its Netflix release, then.
LOL thanks Doc!

Back