Bellator Signs Josh Thomson

Trying to re-sign a guy before his existing deal expired and not offering him a new contract after the deal expires aren't mutually exclusive.

Good. Always loved JT and there is some really good style matchups for him in Bellator.

Trying to re-sign a guy before his existing deal expired and not offering him a new contract after the deal expires aren't mutually exclusive.

This is true, especially when he gets smashed like he did his last fight.

I don't think anyone is saying Thomson isn't a good fighter still, although clearly not the fighter he once was, just that's he much more valuable to Bellator than the Ufc.

In Bellator he's the biggest name lw in maybe the entire division and clearly top five while in the Ufc he may not even be top 20/

Great signing for Bellator. Still a great and exciting fighter, but he's obviously on the decline and was more than likely never going to be a title contender again in the UFC. Better to go to Bellator where there's still a lot of great and interesting matchups for him.

I saw Thomson say in an article that the UFC tried to re-sign him his last 2 fights, but he declined and wanted to fight his contract out. Says the UFC is just trying to save face.

I'm more incline to believe him than them.

WOuld say they tried to sign him before his last two fights like he said but after he lost his last fight, three in a row they probably didnt which is what is being reported.

They try to sign everyone before their contracts are up, they offered Davis, Nelson, everyone contracts, some fight it out and others resign.

Once he lost third in a row UFC might not have been interested in him anymore.

WOuld say they tried to sign him before his last two fights like he said but after he lost his last fight, three in a row they probably didnt which is what is being reported.

They try to sign everyone before their contracts are up, they offered Davis, Nelson, everyone contracts, some fight it out and others resign.

I think UFC was still interested in keeping Thompson, they just resigned Danny Castillo who has lost 4/5 and is close to same age

I dont disagree with this. It would be a case of neither of them completely lying, and neither telling the whole truth. Which is what happens in most he said/she said sort of cases.

So yeah Josh's manager actually sent the offer to the UFC and they didn't respond or offer anything. So it was a literal release. Per Helwani but it's backed up as well.

Good signing for Bellator.

Despite being out of his prime, a win over Thomson still means something.

Man, that is a huge addition to Bellator!

Good signing, still relevant but like Kos, clearly on the downslide and entering his final few years at best.

UFC won't mind losing this type of fighter, but if Bellator start turning heads of guys who BEAT these guys, itll be panic stations...

He's old and his body is made of glass but he beat nate Diaz's ass so whatever I'm down

Bellator = Minor Leagues

Bellator = Minor Leagues

It may = minor league, but look at where it started and where it is now. They are developing a talented roster. This is was an event that Dana once predicted would fold in a year, instead they are about to have their 141st event.

Furthermore, the roster of another "minor league" (Strikeforce) now makes up a significant portion of the top ten lists.

Expecting a surprise Nate Diaz/Gilbert signing after his suspension is up.

It may = minor league, but look at where it started and where it is now. They are developing a talented roster. This is was an event that Dana once predicted would fold in a year, instead they are about to have their 141st event.

Furthermore, the roster of another "minor league" (Strikeforce) now makes up a significant portion of the top ten lists.

People are always going to talk them down, fact of th matter is, few actually expect them to be bigger than the ufc..

The reason i support bellator is because, with a viable 2nd org, there will be competition.... when there is competition. Virtually everyone wiins..

We have already seen it. Before, it used to be accept whatever the ufc offered or regionals..... now we have people like phil davis and thomson who made the jump and are still making at least a solid amount.. more of this will come im sure...

Expecting a surprise Nate Diaz/Gilbert signing after his suspension is up.

If i had to bet money on a high profile signing, i would put it on on tim kennedy or ben henderson... if those guys jump ship, it will surly open up many eyeballs..

Start him off with an easy fight because he's on a skid, or throw him right in the deep end because I'm sure his paycheck isn't cheap? Against a homegrown fighter or a UFC castoff like Guillard, Sass, etc?

Hope we get to see him fight Tiger at some point.

UFC just cut Robert Drysdale due to steroid use. Bellator could grab him. He isn't a big name, but he is a beast of a grappler, and has potential to become great.

UFC won't mind losing this type of fighter, but if Bellator start turning heads of guys who BEAT these guys, itll be panic stations...

Are you saying if Bellator fighters start beating UFC fighters it'll be panic stations? I honestly think that's the last thing the UFC is worried about. Losing their top fighters is probably their biggest worry. No one is gong to watch Bellator cause their fighters are beating retired UFC fighters. That stuff will draw in the hardcores at most. Casuals don't know or care about Bellator. Hell they probably think it's the UFC.

Back