Bellator Powerlock Gloves in the UFC

I've been saying for years that they should've done a small redesign on the pride gloves and use those.

Exactly.

I can't remember where I read it but I swear there was a fighter who said that with the UFC gloves if you have a relaxed hand the stiffness of the gloves holds your hand straight.

I have worn some whilst training and that's definitely true.

Not really. It forces more of a clinched fist, which reduced eyepokes. PRIDE's gloves were also curved. But the difference between these and PRIDE's is that in those the parts wrapping around the fingers were too long, hence, prone to fight stoppages when dislodged. These are much shorter round the fingers so less likely to be dislodged.

PRIDE vs UFC

d7ArXZk.jpg

Bellator NEW vs OLD

BellatorPowerlockGlove.gif

fuck that shit, I'd rather have pauses for re-adjustments than Goddamn eyepokes.

If he really wanted to he could just claim they're going back to the pride gloves and leave Bellator out of it. I haven't seen them side by side, but to me they look incredibly similar

I'd like to hear feedback from grapplers about the gloves

If he really wanted to he could just claim they're going back to the pride gloves and leave Bellator out of it. I haven't seen them side by side, but to me they look incredibly similar

this would be the best move all the while paying homage to Pride & earning respect from the salty Pride fanboys.

Yamma still makes me laugh, even the name is comical

59030.jpg

How would they create more accidental eyepokes? Common sense tells me it'd be the opposite.

First up, Hand on the head to manage distance is to me a 100% a legitimate technique that is useful and does not lead to eye pokes if done right.

I think the clearest example is Barao, but many other fighters uses this same technique (Shogun is another good example).

Basically they keep their fingers pointed towards the roof and stop the opponent with their palm. It is used often and hasn't resulted in eye pokes except on very rare occasion.

This is different to Jones's preffered method were he points the fingers horizontal so basically pointing at eyes. This is a deliberate choice by Jones in how to execute the technique, it risks eye pokes significantly but has done nothing but help Jones in his fights. So he continues to use it.

This new Curved glove would mean that when ever someone tried to use their palm to stop another fighter advancing they will be doing so with finger pointed at the opponents eyes.

Jones could easily change his technique if he wanted to avoid eye pokes, however if this curved glove is introduced it basically means more eye pokes or rules out using your hand to manage distance.

Have the statistics been released as to whether they actually work? And don't Everlast own those gloves? The UFC might have a contract in place already which doesn't allow them to just swap gloves/companies.

Plus they have only been out for a short time. Also if they really do stop hand breaks fighters will punch harder which will lead to me brain injuries.

First up, Hand on the head to manage distance is to me a 100% a legitimate technique that is useful and does not lead to eye pokes if done right.

I think the clearest example is Barao, but many other fighters uses this same technique (Shogun is another good example).

Basically they keep their fingers pointed towards the roof and stop the opponent with their palm. It is used often and hasn't resulted in eye pokes except on very rare occasion.

This is different to Jones's preffered method were he points the fingers horizontal so basically pointing at eyes. This is a deliberate choice by Jones in how to execute the technique, it risks eye pokes significantly but has done nothing but help Jones in his fights. So he continues to use it.

This new Curved glove would mean that when ever someone tried to use their palm to stop another fighter advancing they will be doing so with finger pointed at the opponents eyes.

Jones could easily change his technique if he wanted to avoid eye pokes, however if this curved glove is introduced it basically means more eye pokes or rules out using your hand to manage distance.

Agreed on Jones. Maybe the gloves don't restrict the hand enough to stop you from doing what you're talking about. I haven't worn them. A lot of the time the open hand is just to blind more of the opponents vision.

We'll see what the stats look like after Bellator uses this longer.

if there's no patent to the design then surely we'll see the "Octagon Ultra-lock Glove"

UFC has shown they have no problem ripping ideas off, look at their Beats by Dre headphone ripoff they're giving to everyone nowadays

But I do agree that even if by some miracle they chose to use those gloves, they would wait a year to see some solid results

This gloves should cut the number of eyepokes, as they kind of make fighters close their fists. I think that measuring distance with your hands vertically is notbig of a problem. Problem starts when someone pushes his hands inthe face of his opponents, then the eyepokes happen. Maybe closed fist can cut this shit a bit? (on the other hand lots of eyepokes are 'thumbpokes' ;) so i dont see any gloves dealing with it.

They are fairly familiar to Pride gloves (being curvy, bigger padding on fingers etc), and i didnt notice as much eyepokes during Pride events as now in UFC.
On the other hand, bigger gloves makes it harder to grapple. Even if not by much, it would be a bit harder to pull mata leo or pull your hand from the grip etc.

But we will see.

They are fairly familiar to Pride gloves (being curvy, bigger padding on fingers etc), and i didnt notice as much eyepokes during Pride events as now in UFC.
On the other hand, bigger gloves makes it harder to grapple. Even if not by much, it would be a bit harder to pull mata leo or pull your hand from the grip etc.

But we will see.

Exactly why I think they should just try out a few different gloves over the next year or two on the prelims and figure out what has the best results

I remember Cub Swanson talking about how dangerous UFC gloves were, especially because they get the pair the same day of the fight. Which means they aren't broken in, and guys have trouble keeping their fists closed tight enough because the glove...When new, naturally tries to straighten out the hand. Thus working against a fighter trying to ball his fists.

If you can't make a good fist before throwing it, and you need to do it fast...Then you're heading for broken hand city. So it' safe to assume these gloves would decrease the broken hands.

Unless you're Fedor, and throw a world destroying casting punch...Then you break your shit anyhow.lol

I don't know, the day the debuted didn't they have 2 fights end by eye pokes and result in No-Contests? Or was it one eye poke and one devastating ball shot?

Either way, not a good thing when the glove that should end all accidental eye pokes results in a scratched cornea and the doctor not letting that fighter go on

Multiple fights with eyepokes, one ended in a NC in the first round. The other NC was a ball shot.

Back