Bellator has a UFC PPV level card tonight!

He looked better than Jiri when they fought, and nothing suggests to me that Jiri is somehow better now. Nemkov obviously wasn’t conditioned or used to 10 minute rounds, but he was the better fighter of the two during that round. Jiri had 18 fights worth of experience going into their fight, Nemkov had 6. With pacing and stamina under control now, I see nothing to suggest that Jiri would be the better of the two now, when he wasn’t then. Nemkov has grown and evolved a lot since then.

And dude—criticizing Nemkov for fighting 46 year old Yoel, but praising 43 year old Glover as some amazing opponent? Why, because he got the chance to win a belt by beating another 40 year old??

Wow, that’s a lot of MMA math.
Didn’t Glover lose to Corey Anderson and Phil Davis?
Didn’t Jan Blachowicz lose to Corey Anderson as well?

MMA Math is silly. Pointless.

I think Pitbull would’ve handled Conor with no issue. The other 3 would’ve been tough matchups to call.
You watched Pitbull tonight and thought he'd have close match ups with Volk, Max and Aldo? Would have lost to all of them even in his prime, saw some people saying Pitbull would be favourite over Volk today, bet they've disappeared. Would have had better luck against the 135 pound UFC roster.

I thought this was on tomorrow but after hearing about how slow paced the fights where, I am glad I missed it.

You watched Pitbull tonight and thought he'd have close match ups with Volk, Max and Aldo? Would have lost to all of them even in his prime, saw some people saying Pitbull would be favourite over Volk today, bet they've disappeared. Would have had better luck against the 135 pound UFC roster.
No, I commented on how I think Pitbull at his best at 145 lbs would’ve done against those guys. They guy has had one BW fight in his 41 fight career, didn’t look great at that weight class, and you think he’d be better off fighting UFC BWs?

He looked better than Jiri when they fought, and nothing suggests to me that Jiri is somehow better now. Nemkov obviously wasn’t conditioned or used to 10 minute rounds, but he was the better fighter of the two during that round. Jiri had 18 fights worth of experience going into their fight, Nemkov had 6. With pacing and stamina under control now, I see nothing to suggest that Jiri would be the better of the two now, when he wasn’t then. Nemkov has grown and evolved a lot since then.

And dude—criticizing Nemkov for fighting 46 year old Yoel, but praising 43 year old Glover as some amazing opponent? Why, because he got the chance to win a belt by beating another 40 year old??

Wow, that’s a lot of MMA math.
Didn’t Glover lose to Corey Anderson and Phil Davis?
Didn’t Jan Blachowicz lose to Corey Anderson as well?

MMA Math is silly. Pointless.

I think Pitbull would’ve handled Conor with no issue. The other 3 would’ve been tough matchups to call.
C'mon. Yoel is closer to 50 than he is 40 and he left the UFC on a 4-fight losing streak when he was a younger/better fighter. There's not a truly dominant LHW right now. Several LHWs (including Nemkov and several of the best from the UFC) could beat each other on a given night. But this stuff I've been hearing about Nemkov being heads and shoulders above all the UFC LHWs is hogwash.

No, I commented on how I think Pitbull at his best at 145 lbs would’ve done against those guys. They guy has had one BW fight in his 41 fight career, didn’t look great at that weight class, and you think he’d be better off fighting UFC BWs?
At his best he's never genuinely been considered the number one FW in the world, you could say generously I'd argue he might have been considered the 2nd best at stages over his career. I think he would have never touched the belt at 145 in the UFC, given how he made weight by all means apparently comfortably for this fight do I think he'd have measured up better against Garbrandt, the tail end of Dom Cruz etc a few years back than say Volk, Max or prime Aldo, absolutely. Not even the biggest Bellator shill would say he'd be favourite over Volk or Max for that matter today.

Reactions: mkt
C'mon. Yoel is closer to 50 than he is 40 and he left the UFC on a 4-fight losing streak when he was a younger/better fighter. There's not a truly dominant LHW right now. Several LHWs (including Nemkov and several of the best from the UFC) could beat each other on a given night. But this stuff I've been hearing about Nemkov being heads and shoulders above all the UFC LHWs is hogwash.
Yoel left last night with a loss too. All of those losses in the UFC—it was 3 losses btw, not 4–were also by decision. I was thinking/hoping that Nemkov would finish Yoel last night, but it’s crazy hard to do. Yoel has been finished once in his entire career, and it was 12 years ago.

I don’t really know what you mean about ppl claiming Nemkov is head and shoulders above all LHWs. I think he’s the best LHW in the world right now, but sure, that doesn’t mean he could never lose a fight. I’d absolutely favor him to beat the current UFC top 5. That doesn’t mean there aren’t tough matchups in there.

It’s just funny how Sherdog gets sometimes: Jiri goes life and death with ancient Glover and Glover gets praised; Nemkov beats the ever living shit out of ancient Yoel except for a small bit offense from Yoel in the last 30 seconds, and Nemkov gets discredited.

At his best he's never genuinely been considered the number one FW in the world, you could say generously I'd argue he might have been considered the 2nd best at stages over his career. I think he would have never touched the belt at 145 in the UFC, given how he made weight by all means apparently comfortably for this fight do I think he'd have measured up better against Garbrandt, the tail end of Dom Cruz etc a few years back than say Volk, Max or prime Aldo, absolutely. Not even the biggest Bellator shill would say he'd be favourite over Volk or Max for that matter today.
It’s very rare that anyone in Bellator is considered the best in their weight class, that’s nothing new.
Pitbull was extremely successful at FW and didn’t look good last night in his one BW fight, so I don’t really get why you’re thinking that’s the weight class he’d have to be in. I don’t even know how comfortably he made weight for this, he had that “Dispoportionatrly Big Head, Shredded Body” look going on.
I said I think Pitbull would have handled Conor, but Max, Aldo, and Volk are tossup fights. I don’t think there’s anything unfair about saying that.

and it ended up mostly boring like most bellator cards recently. Nemkov vs Romero was alright, not sure what I was expecting from romero at 46.

and it ended up mostly boring like most bellator cards recently. Nemkov vs Romero was alright, not sure what I was expecting from romero at 46.
I bought the prelims were fire, but it def slowed down during the main card. Still a really enjoyable event overall I thought.

I bought the prelims were fire, but it def slowed down during the main card. Still a really enjoyable event overall I thought.
I was not impressed with pitbulls performance, he looked really small and didnt really want to engage. He was probably too slow. The first HW fight was alright, phil davis stunk the place up as usual. Didnt watch the prelims and of course bellator fucks up and moves some of the best fights to "postlims"

I was not impressed with pitbulls performance, he looked really small and didnt really want to engage. He was probably too slow. The first HW fight was alright, phil davis stunk the place up as usual. Didnt watch the prelims and of course bellator fucks up and moves some of the best fights to "postlims"
I wasn’t either, I thought Pitbull looked awful. Clearly, trying to cut to BW at this stage in his career just isn’t the best move. He relies on speed a lot, and he loses that edge at BW.
Agree about Anderson-Davis, every Davis fight is just doomed to be boring. Also agree about Bellator’s shitty scheduling. Postlims are stupid imo, I’m just not a fan of that.

I don't know why they keep booking Phil Davis, he just won't fight, refuses to engage literally every fight, he has always been inactive in his fights but he's got worse over the years and is even more inactive now, 98% staring and 2% actually throwing anything. So tired of it all.

Pettis did much better than I thought, I was surprised, I thought Pitbull would win. The prelims were more entertaining than the main card.. Bellator needs something to make it shine again, the events just seem dull.

The guy has been fighting for 20 years, and you're basing your opinion of his competitiveness on his performance tonight, having cut down to a lower weight class for the first time in his career. Another sherdog genius spotted.

I remember when Phil briefly held the title in Bellator, this forum was stocked full of people declaring what a great fighter he was. The UFC made a sound decision when they released him. He's always been painful to watch. I've been fast forwarding his fights for over a decade.

Best fight of the night imo was on the Youtube postlims (Hamel vs Nikaev).

Pitbull is obviously on the decline, wouldn't be surprised to see him lose his FW title in the next year. But at the same time it's disengenious to then point at his performance last night when he is gonna be 36 next month and say he was never good or had a chance in his prime against the UFC best like @LetThemBleed or @mkt do. It's like saying Dom Cruz or Benson were always trash since they lost in their late 30s

This card was a dud. Main card was a decision fest, Romero and Pitbull were huge disappointments.

Prelims started an hour late and ended a half hour early, resulting in 5 "postlim" fights.

Postlims were boring too, until Kyle Crutchmer of all people got a first round finish.

Having to shift back and forth between this and PFL was more of hassle than it was worth.

Reactions: Kb7
Yoel left last night with a loss too. All of those losses in the UFC—it was 3 losses btw, not 4–were also by decision. I was thinking/hoping that Nemkov would finish Yoel last night, but it’s crazy hard to do. Yoel has been finished once in his entire career, and it was 12 years ago.

I don’t really know what you mean about ppl claiming Nemkov is head and shoulders above all LHWs. I think he’s the best LHW in the world right now, but sure, that doesn’t mean he could never lose a fight. I’d absolutely favor him to beat the current UFC top 5. That doesn’t mean there aren’t tough matchups in there.

It’s just funny how Sherdog gets sometimes: Jiri goes life and death with ancient Glover and Glover gets praised; Nemkov beats the ever living shit out of ancient Yoel except for a small bit offense from Yoel in the last 30 seconds, and Nemkov gets discredited.

It’s very rare that anyone in Bellator is considered the best in their weight class, that’s nothing new.
Pitbull was extremely successful at FW and didn’t look good last night in his one BW fight, so I don’t really get why you’re thinking that’s the weight class he’d have to be in. I don’t even know how comfortably he made weight for this, he had that “Dispoportionatrly Big Head, Shredded Body” look going on.
I said I think Pitbull would have handled Conor, but Max, Aldo, and Volk are tossup fights. I don’t think there’s anything unfair about saying that.
If you aren't in the UFC, it will never be enough for them. They will always make an excuse. The two guys who you are replying to said the same about Fedor even tho he beat BETTER competition then was present in the UFC. God forbid Fedor didn't defend his UFC title against the likes of......Pete Williams, Pedro Rizzo, Gan McGee

Back