Behold - The only Olympics medal table that really counts: PER CAPITA

No, per capita is terrible in the Olympics. Just look at gymnastics. We had the #1, #2, #3, and #4 best overall female gymnasts. But we could only send two. It's the same way in swimming. We could sweep medal podiums with the relays or individual events if given three. They limit the entrants of larger nations for a more timely competition.

For example, everyone bitches about swimming, but there isn't some huge global qualifying tournament where we are allow unlimited participants and teams. 2/3 of the basketball teams would be ours if that was the case.

Due to sample size it also skews heavily due to the reality that some nations spend all their energy and expertise in sports that are a national pride (and often tend to be the more obscure sports on a global scale). Examples:
  • Fiji --> Rugby
  • Hungary --> Fencing
  • Finland --> Javelin Throw
  • South Korea --> Archery (or Short Track Skating in the Winter)
  • Ethiopia --> Long Distance running
  • Kazakhstan --> Boxing, Wrestling, Weightlifting (<-- dirty as shit, shouldn't even be competing)
  • Denmark --> Sailing, Rowing
That's just a taste. There's a reason only two of the top 16 nations there have a population size greater than 10 million. That's like a fourth the size of my state. Yawn.

A proper comparison would add some sort of Bayesian weighting to this while also factoring in the restrictive coefficient of limiting participants, and an additional bonus coefficient for medaling in a wider array of sport.

Oh yeah, and...undefeated world champions of Football. Superbowls = 49 - 0. Not that peasants care about the master race sport.
While I agree with the substance of your post I think you're off on a couple of things. Hungary has always placed water Polo and swimming above fencing to my knowledge. And I see no way any country could sweep all the swimming events. Well, unless you guys clone Phelps and give him the Jenner treatment.

Holy shit dude, chill. For someone from such a "great" nation you act like you have small man's syndrome.

giphy.gif

Argument gets shredded to bits and all you can do is say "lol manlet <gif>"

For some reason I thought Cuba will have more. Are all three Cuban golds in Boxing?

From a pure sporting point of the view. The US also has the advantage of a first world sport infrastructure in addition with a reasonable amount of athlete with African heritage. Some events specially in track and field can only be won by an athlete with certain genetics. If other nations with the some money available to those athletes they would do better.

But overall the US also has the best system to discover and develop athletes. The only one that comes close are the Aussies IMO.

It certainly adds another perspective. Of course a wealthy nation of 300 something million is going to do well in the olympics.

I dont pay too much attention to medal talleys so dont really care either way.

You have to normalize it by ethnicity. America has 40% ethnic people who are way underrepresented in weird ass shit like diving, airgun, swimming, biking, and canoeing. Basically shit that makes up 90% of the olympics.

A country like San Marino could totally ace this metric by winning a bronze in table tennis. It would not necessary establish that they are more physically fit than other countries.

The only medal table that really counts is the one that shows your own country in the best light possible.

UK number two in Golds right now not bad for a piddly little island.

Grenanda have now rocketed to the top with 1 medal for their population of 106,000

This is a daft way to rank success at the Olympics. Not that I think it matters how nations are ranked because if a person wins a gold medal they really won't care how well their country is ranked.

If you must rank the countries in a way other than total medals it would be best to rank them in order of medals per $million spent on sport.

However, this would:

a) not be possible to work out,
b) probably still have similar nations at or around the top and,
c) not stop people arguing about who is most successful anyway.

Lol Fiji coming in at #3 with one medal. Good sample size TS

This is a daft way to rank success at the Olympics. Not that I think it matters how nations are ranked because if a person wins a gold medal they really won't care how well their country is ranked.

If you must rank the countries in a way other than total medals it would be best to rank them in order of medals per $million spent on sport.

However, this would:

a) not be possible to work out,
b) probably still have similar nations at or around the top and,
c) not stop people arguing about who is most successful anyway.

I'm sure plenty of them DO care how their country is ranked. The commies realised the importance of sports back in 50s to 80s which is why they spent so much time and money trying to win and still do if Russia's cheating is anything to go by. It makes a nation feel good about itself. And I'm sure Americans feel very rightly proud of their amazing record in sports. I don't think how much money spent is a negative thing, quite the opposite. It's money that gives opportunity to people, develops the science, creates facilities for others to use and so on. Money spent on sports is well spent IMO.

The UK's surprising success is obviously going down pretty well with most people (other than self-loathing lefties) and a nice shot in the arm which is desperately needed after the bruising the nation has taken recently with the Brexit bickering. I think sport can help a nation lift it's head high and so these tables do matter.

I'm sure plenty of them DO care how their country is ranked. The commies realised the importance of sports back in 50s to 80s which is why they spent so much time and money trying to win and still do if Russia's cheating is anything to go by. It makes a nation feel good about itself. And I'm sure Americans feel very rightly proud of their amazing record in sports. I don't think how much money spent is a negative thing, quite the opposite. It's money that gives opportunity to people, develops the science, creates facilities for others to use and so on. Money spent on sports is well spent IMO.

The UK's surprising success is obviously going down pretty well with most people (other than self-loathing lefties) and a nice shot in the arm which is desperately needed after the bruising the nation has taken recently with the Brexit bickering. I think sport can help a nation lift it's head high and so these tables do matter.

Sorry, i know that it's important to many people and many countries and many people. I wasn't trying to suggest that Olympic success didn't mean anything to the East Germans with their government sponsored doping programmes. It's obvious that it is important to people when you see pages and pages of arguing on forums like this.

Just that it's not too important to me.

Back