Beginner's (noob) questions thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone can provide feedback on ideal times to be doing my lifts... as in when I wake up vs before going to bed, if I should alternate based on whether I'm on nights or days etc... I don't know if I missed it in the FAQs or what but I swear I read them :redface:

Also once I start the two day split I will continue with running daily preferably alternating intensity with off days. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Just lift whenever is convenient and when you have the energy.

As far as the running goes, it should be fine. There will come a time when the squats and DLs are getting a bit heavy and you may need to go easy on the running for a little while, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Now, get to it, and start a log here when you do!

Just a random question. Basically people at my new gym have been poisoning my brain with bro-science about squats/DL's not only stunting your growth but actually making you shorter. Now I know and have read the studies stating weightlifting in and of itself does not stunt growth as is commonly believed, but I am wondering if there are any specific injuries (perhaps spinal compression related? I'm pulling this out of my ass) that can cause stunted/reduced growth?

Also, anecdotally, I have a scale at home that measures height too, and I seem to be consistently shorter after gym sessions (1-3cm ~about an inch), although this may well just be because I gym later in the day, and I know you are generally taller in the morning. Can this all be corrected from just hanging from a pull-up bar to decompress?

Thanks a lot for any responses.

KW approves.

Hi Keith.
I've been having discussions with my father on the safety of the spine
during heavy squats and deadlifts. I go with the conventional wisdom
of S&P that lifting properly now will strengthen the muscles
supporting the spine so that in old age there will be less back
problems. He believes that those lifts will squeeze the intervertebral
disks and lead to nasty things like bulging and slipping as the years
progress. He's a doctor (although his specialty is urology, not
orthopedics or sports medicine) so he does know a lot about
physiology, although I know a fair bit more about lifting. I was
wondering if you could shed light on this, both as somebody who has
been lifting for many years and as a chiropractor. Does squatting and
deadlifting cause back problems down the road?

Thanks

Your father is correct, heavy squats and deadlifts ( especially the squats) do compress the vertebral column which can lead to compression of the intervertebral disc........but.......this compression also occurs from a host of activities, such as prolonged sitting, standing on ones feet for extended periods of time, and being overweight........and.......the squats and deadlifts do strengthen the muscles to such a degree that they protect even a thin disc--i have seen many, many older lifelong lifter types who come into the clinic at age 55 with some mild chronic back pain,,we do diagnostics and discover that they have a herniated disc that has been there for years,,but there back was so strong that it barely noticeable--and trust me a true herniated disc ( which is a generic and overused diagnosis) for an average man, would result in the average man screaming and writhing on the floor in absolute agony--I have seen it--not a pretty site. So its a trade-off, you strengthen the muscles, but can potentially weaken the disc.........however.......you can do a TON of simple things to keep the discs from being compressed--any type of decompression moves such as hanging from a chinning bar for 30-40 seconds following a lifting session ( been doing that for 30 years) do some athletic moves--high rep deadlifts ( with moderate weight) and best of all -hyperextensions and reverse hyper-extensions to lubricate and "milk" the disc--just getting movement in those joints will keep the disc healthy and fluid.....and there are other things which can weak the disc such as smoking and not enough water--both "dry" out the IVD and can put it into a vulnerable state.

One last thought,,,if a person has some pre-existing spinal problems, ie mild scolosis, and they squat and dead,,,those things can exacerbate the curve and cause compression issues down the road, much in the same way that a nail, which has very slight bend, becomes more bent as it is struck repeatedly by a hammer.

I hope that answers your question

have a great day

keith

Just a random question. Basically people at my new gym have been poisoning my brain with bro-science about squats/DL's not only stunting your growth but actually making you shorter. Now I know and have read the studies stating weightlifting in and of itself does not stunt growth as is commonly believed, but I am wondering if there are any specific injuries (perhaps spinal compression related? I'm pulling this out of my ass) that can cause stunted/reduced growth?

Also, anecdotally, I have a scale at home that measures height too, and I seem to be consistently shorter after gym sessions (1-3cm ~about an inch), although this may well just be because I gym later in the day, and I know you are generally taller in the morning. Can this all be corrected from just hanging from a pull-up bar to decompress?

Thanks a lot for any responses.

Generally speaking no, there is no reason to be worried that heavy lifting will make you shorter. It is possible to damage your growth plates but my understanding is that it's incredibly rare, especially in regard to lifting which is very controlled compared to sports like football or hockey.

So the question in regards to my non vacation lifestyle:

I work 13 hour shifts in an office now. 5 dayshifts 6:30am-7:30pm immediatley followed by 5 night shifts 6:30pm-7:30am followed by 5 days off. There is about a 45minute commute one way to work each day. Repeat FOREVER.

I am wondering if anyone can provide feedback on ideal times to be doing my lifts... as in when I wake up vs before going to bed, if I should alternate based on whether I'm on nights or days etc... I don't know if I missed it in the FAQs or what but I swear I read them :redface:

Really depends on "you". I also work shifts, including nights and long days. For dayshifts I tend to lift in the afternoon - around 14:30, mainly because the gym isn't so busy then, and I have already had a decent amount of food during the day to prepare me.

For nights, I lift before my shift starts at 19:30. I tend to get to the gym for 18:15 and again I ensure I have had a decent meal about an hour and a half before when I wake up before heading in. I have, on occasion, lifted after finishing my nightshift at 07:30, but this has generally sucked.

Last edited:
I have a question about microloading. For instance on starting strength you are supposed to microload when you can no longer make 5 pound progressions. Are you supposed to do this for stronglifts for each phase for example you do 5x5 until you stall twice then switch to 3x5 then switch to 1x5? If you microload for each phase do you go back up to normal progressions for each phase?

I have a question about microloading. For instance on starting strength you are supposed to microload when you can no longer make 5 pound progressions. Are you supposed to do this for stronglifts for each phase for example you do 5x5 until you stall twice then switch to 3x5 then switch to 1x5? If you microload for each phase do you go back up to normal progressions for each phase?

Yes and yes, but when you switch from 5x5 to 3x5, I'd stick with 5lbs (or less) increases and not the 10-15 you do when you first start training.

^^ How'd I know this was coming?!

Mk76H.gif

I read part of the suppory thread, now I have a question. What is a plat forum? Not a noob strength question but a noob forum question.

I read part of the suppory thread, now I have a question. What is a plat forum? Not a noob strength question but a noob forum question.

Special forum only for paying "platinum," members of Sherdog.

Is hanging from a pullup bar something a lot of people do for spinal decompression? Is that really useful as an injury prevention tool? Anything that helps prevent disc injuries sounds like it should be a staple, but I hadn't heard of this before.

Is hanging from a pullup bar something a lot of people do for spinal decompression? Is that really useful as an injury prevention tool? Anything that helps prevent disc injuries sounds like it should be a staple, but I hadn't heard of this before.

KeithWassung recommended this, apparently.

KeithWassung recommended this, apparently.

It just sounds like something i did as a kid to get taller - and we all know that didn't work. Just wondered whether you can physically "decompress" or de-stress your discs by doing that, or whether it was a bit of an old-powerlifters tale. For how important back health is, if it was really worth it I would expect to see everyone doing it.

It just sounds like something i did as a kid to get taller - and we all know that didn't work. Just wondered whether you can physically "decompress" or de-stress your discs by doing that, or whether it was a bit of an old-powerlifters tale. For how important back health is, if it was really worth it I would expect to see everyone doing it.

It maybe an old powerlifters tale. I am only a study of one but I think it works. I also like using weighted dips, and a ghr for the same purpose. I think that the key is being able to relax into the stretch that gravity is providing.

It's good for the back and for the grip.

It's not always that you see the things that are best for people widely adopted. It's kinda like common sense -- not so common.

Don't know, but I do it occasionally.

I started doing muay Thai a few months ago. I'm not too impressed with my conditioning as I gas pretty easily. I was thinking about doing some Javorek barbell complexes a few times a week along with muay Thai 2-3 times a week.

Good idea? I only have about 60lbs of plates and no bench unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back