Beginner's (noob) questions thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of Javorek. Googled it and saw high rep snatches and behind the neck press in a circuit and both of those are a bad idea or at least high risk/little reward.

Do you do sprints? LSD, LISS cardio?
How many times a week do you do MT?

I started doing muay Thai a few months ago. I'm not too impressed with my conditioning as I gas pretty easily. I was thinking about doing some Javorek barbell complexes a few times a week along with muay Thai 2-3 times a week.

Good idea? I only have about 60lbs of plates and no bench unfortunately.

No. It's not.

1)If at all possible either join a good Gym or buy more weights. And a Bench. Not for conditioning but just in order for you to get Stronger

2)Arguably the best conditioning for Muay Thai is Pad Work; if you can arrange a training partner outside of class, hit the Pads hard. You'll get a good workout and improve your technique.

3)If Pad Work is not an option for some reason, try Hill Sprints, LSD Running, Swimming etc.

I started doing muay Thai a few months ago. I'm not too impressed with my conditioning as I gas pretty easily. I was thinking about doing some Javorek barbell complexes a few times a week along with muay Thai 2-3 times a week.

Good idea? I only have about 60lbs of plates and no bench unfortunately.

Barbell complexes can be a decent choice for anaerobic work, especially HIIT. I don't think the particular choice of exercises is terribly important, other than the fact that (i) you want to choose exercises that you are confident you can do for high reps and at reasonable speed without hurting yourself, and you want a good balance of lower body, pressing and pulling (so you could, say, cycle between 10 reps of some type of squat, 10 reps of overhead press and 10 reps of barbell row). A lack of extra plates doesn't have to be a big problem initially, as you can progress with HIIT by shortening the work/rest ratio and just going faster when you are working- although it will come to a point were you can't go harder or shorten the rest, and need to re-set a bit and add weight.

Now... this *might* improve your conditioning. You'd be basically adding an anaerobic block to your training, and plenty of people are at a point where they will get some benefit from doing that. The question is whether there is something else you could be doing that is better. Normally, you would expect to get more benefit by doing more of your sport, or at least doing intervals that are more specific, like rounds of hard heavy bag work. There is also the issue of your aerobic power production- it really does help if your aerobic system can produce more energy. So if your resting HR is high or you are sucking air if you try to run a 5k at any kind of pace, some long/slow type work would probably be in order.

Obviously- Conditioning FAQ for more/better information.

bump.

Just finished reading the entire thread, it answered a few questions. Thank you to all the knowledgeable people who give patient advice rather than trolling or sarcastic, its great to have you.

If I'm doing incline press as assistance for overhead press, should I arch my back like a flat bench? I assume the answer is no because I'd just be decreasing the angle but wanted to check.

Got a squat question: I've been checking my form recently, and it seems that when I get around parallel or a little lower, my back angle falls forward really sharply. I tried many times, but I simply can't get past parallel unless I do this with my back. Does anyone know how to fix this? If it's a flexibility issue, what region do I need to work on? Thanks.

Got a squat question: I've been checking my form recently, and it seems that when I get around parallel or a little lower, my back angle falls forward really sharply. I tried many times, but I simply can't get past parallel unless I do this with my back. Does anyone know how to fix this? If it's a flexibility issue, what region do I need to work on? Thanks.

Do you have any videos you could post?

Can someone link me to a thread or video about squat and deadlift form?

in particular, my ankles aren't that flexible. i can't keep my heels on the floor when i get my legs horizontal unless i have a pretty wide stance.

Can someone link me to a thread or video about squat and deadlift form?

in particular, my ankles aren't that flexible. i can't keep my heels on the floor when i get my legs horizontal unless i have a pretty wide stance.

There are quite a few SquatRx vids. This is the first.

For you people that know about physiology out there. I know that the imbalances from too much pressing (and not enough pulling) are harmful for your shoulders and general health. But is there such a thing as too much pulling, and not enough pressing?

Cause I"m honestly hardly doing any pressing at all now adays lol.

Guys, I tried to read T-nations 5,3,1 but dont really understand it....could someone simplify it for me please? Id appreciate it.

Guys, I tried to read T-nations 5,3,1 but dont really understand it....could someone simplify it for me please? Id appreciate it.

What don't you understand exactly? Before I summarize the entire book

If your getting confused about weight % and what you should be aiming for, try using this calculator. http://www.strstd.com/
Makes life a whole lot easier.

Hello friends.

I was just looking for advice on where to go with one of my lifts.
So Saturday I did powercleans at 5 sets of 3, 195lbs. Went well. Great form, good speed, etc. and figured I could bump up the weight five pounds.

So today (monday) I did warmup sets, started worksets at 200, but could only get two out with decent form on the first set. So I dropped down to 195, and could just barely get those out.

I was just wondering what I could chalk that up to.. I powerclean 3 times a week (every workout). Should I drop that to twice a week to allow for more rest? I didn't get an awesome rest last night, but I don't think bad enough to screw me up that badly (all my other lifts went very well).

Any advice is appreciated, if my issue is stupid, just skip over it?

Bad days happen, don't dwell on them. And just because I have to, Your form could be crap.Perhaps a form check to be safe ?

What belphegor13 said. Some days you just don't have it in you. Other days, you feel like Dimas. Just keep lifting, and make up for it next time.

I have read through a lot of stuff pertaining to strength and conditioning specific to mma. I am very confused because there are so many theories. My main question though is how would I go about training strength and conditioing? I am just trying to build a solid beginner program that can help my performance.

You're gonna get told to look in the stickies, FAQs,.., but I will say this,.., I started myteenage sons on SS, and they have been progressing well! As far as conditioning, our regular mma classes cover that, so again, refer to FAQs!!

I don't train mma, but I have heard a lot of good things regarding 5/3/1 in conjunction with combat sports training. So that also might be worth a look.

Also: read the FAQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back