Becoming Disillusioned with Training (amateur boxing)

I'd rather have an unconfident kid with a slight drinking...recreation, than a confident kid with no problems who actually DOES quit.

I would quit today but boxing is my self destructing vice. If i quit boxing I will become a raging alcoholic or drug addict.

And I dont enjoy boxing. But when you are 140lbs you need some self defense skills until you can get a gun. Does anybody actually enjoy boxing? I much prefer to spend my night at a club getting pissed.

Well wait until you can get a gun then, buy said gun, and spare us all the whining. Go get pissed in a club. No one's stopping you!

Do you cry and whine like this in person too? Jesus.

I'd rather have an unconfident kid with a slight drinking...recreation, than a confident kid with no problems who actually DOES quit.

I don't see the problem with him drinking though. I mean I'd be a hypocrite if I take issue with that (I have drinking problems too....just with different fluid). So I didn't get why it was a big deal. So i guess it is the way he said it.

Well wait until you can get a gun then, buy said gun, and spare us all the whining. Go get pissed in a club. No one's stopping you!

Do you cry and whine like this in person too? Jesus.

Guns are illegal in my country. Guess Ill stick to boxing. And I cant drink yet I have a fight next week. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Are you this miserable in person too?

Guns are illegal in my country. Guess Ill stick to boxing. And I cant drink yet I have a fight next week. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

With the way you are going in your posts, it is kind of hard for people to took it serious.

Only when i hear people old enough to drink, bitching and whining like 10 year olds.

With the way you are going in your posts, it is kind of hard for people to took it serious.

When i made the thread i was hungry, tired and generally in a shitty mood. Was having a hard time getting myself up for the gym tbh. But since then Ive trained, punched some things and got rid of any bad feelings i had. I apologize if I came off like a whiny bitch earlier. I can assure you im not like that all the time.

Only when i hear people old enough to drink, bitching and whining like 10 year olds.

jlaw-okay.gif

Yes you do.

I'm not quite following what's going on in this thread. After it's gotten a bit long, what I'm seeing is a kid who possibly has some confidence issues feels he isn't getting anything from the WAY his trainers are attempting to train him.

And everyone's essentially calling him a pussy for disagreeing with the way they approach training him.

Yet I know at least three posters in this very thread who have moved from one Gym to another for that exact same reason. If he's a pussy, then y'all were, too.

At the end of the day if you feel like you're not clicking with the trainers, then you're not clicking with the trainers. There's no shame in that. Move to another Gym, and perhaps hold off training until you can so that things don't just fester with negativity.

This is what I was trying to say, before I got thrown off by his insinuation that he NEEDS to drink to have fun, which I've always found strange.

Personal vices aside, I can definitely sympathize with the issue of feeling like your coaches aren't even trying to give you meaningful advice. I've had the exact same problem, and Luis can corroborate that, because I've whined about it plenty of times. In the end, you need to do what's best for you.

The worrying part, TS, is that you say you don't like boxing. As in, AT ALL. Are you fed up with the way you've been taught, or do you have no interest in the sport? That's the only reason I suggested you should quit. If, however, a change of environment would bring back the passion you once had, and if you did once have a passion for it, then I'd say make that change happen. It's not easy, and I haven't done as well as I could have myself, but I'm working toward my ultimate goal of getting to Vegas, saving money and tying up loose ends. If you think something similar would help you, do the same.

When i made the thread i was hungry, tired and generally in a shitty mood. Was having a hard time getting myself up for the gym tbh. But since then Ive trained, punched some things and got rid of any bad feelings i had. I apologize if I came off like a whiny bitch earlier. I can assure you im not like that all the time.

I can respect this. We all have shitty days, and I've had the exact same problem as you. The question is, did you once enjoy boxing, or has it always been a thing you've done for purely practical reasons?

Results are in. OP is a whiny chump whether or not his gym sucks.

No they are not,granted access to hand guns is severely curtailed,but rifles are rather less restricted and shotguns fairly easy to obtain given a modicum of effort .

That's irrelevant as guns were only of interest in relation to self defense and your not carrying a rifle or shotgun when your out and about.

Three possibilities

1) you have a terrible gym/coach
2) you are a terrible athletes
3) your learning style is not comdusive to their teaching style

I would leave and find a better place, if you still feel frustrated, boxing is not for you.

Honestly my coaches are putting me off training anymore. Giving me unrealistic expectations like you need to punch faster and harder like im not already trying. Or getting pissed off at me because my hands arent glued to my forehead. They also seem to think I should be steamrolling everybody in sparring for some reason too despite not being a big puncher and ignoring how I like to box. Its mentally exhausting trying to please them. Just constant in my ear about "hands up" or "be quicker". Theres no arguing either because they know best. I dont even like training anymore I just go so I can be in decent shape for fights.

Ok, I have a problem with your coaches and they sound like your typical highschool football coach.

First thing first, I train with Tony Pep who is a world class boxer and a former world champion. He tells me that glueing your hand to your face takes away your quickness as well as blocking your view.

He also says that, if you want to be quicker, you should drop your lead while using shoulder rolls or going on your back leg as well as changing your gaurd. The reason is that, when you hold your hands in one position, your body becomes tense due to lack of movement specialy when you have your hands glued to your face+ if someone decides to punch you in the arms while you have a tight guard will make your arms fatigue faster which takes away your offense and will not allow you a good vision.

Another good advice is, when your throwing a punch, imagine your grabbing a napkin. Your punches shouldent be "forced" but rather, very relaxed for most part, that relaxation will allow you access to power punches once you are able to box in a relaxed manner.

One final advice, now I don't recommend this since thats not a boxing style I am familair with but, at Brendan Ingles gym, he has guys drop their hands momentarily so they can have a quicker footwork and a better field of vision.

I thought of a good analogue re the drug, alcohol, training, computer game thing.

It's like ADHD, when a kid has that it's a fundamentally different way their brain works and medication is not (by many), considered OTT.

Counselling cannot help past some coping strategies. Trust me, I've not only taken part but studied psychology and provided counselling for others. I'm incredibly well grounded. Tried for years to find some ill which was causing it. Came to understand and accept that there was no underlying trauma, just a brain on one side of a chemical continuum.

I agree with everyone on the fun part, boxing is fun for me. I love not thinking about anything else, being in the moment.

That's irrelevant as guns were only of interest in relation to self defense and your not carrying a rifle or shotgun when your out and about.

How do you know,i swagger round like Michael Caine in Get Carter .

Move gyms, sure. Nothin wrong with that. Doing something you don't enjoy doing? Why.

This is what I was trying to say, before I got thrown off by his insinuation that he NEEDS to drink to have fun, which I've always found strange.

Personal vices aside, I can definitely sympathize with the issue of feeling like your coaches aren't even trying to give you meaningful advice. I've had the exact same problem, and Luis can corroborate that, because I've whined about it plenty of times. In the end, you need to do what's best for you.

The worrying part, TS, is that you say you don't like boxing. As in, AT ALL. Are you fed up with the way you've been taught, or do you have no interest in the sport? That's the only reason I suggested you should quit. If, however, a change of environment would bring back the passion you once had, and if you did once have a passion for it, then I'd say make that change happen. It's not easy, and I haven't done as well as I could have myself, but I'm working toward my ultimate goal of getting to Vegas, saving money and tying up loose ends. If you think something similar would help you, do the same.

I follow the sport and the history of the sport almost religiously. And I enjoy sparring and the actual fights. I hate running, I hate hitting the bags and the pads hate skipping. Apart from fitness theres no real goals when we hit the bags and pads. Im not learning any new techniques. I pretty much rely on watching old school fighters to pick up new tricks and just try my best to copy what they are doing.

Three possibilities

1) you have a terrible gym/coach
2) you are a terrible athletes
3) your learning style is not comdusive to their teaching style

I would leave and find a better place, if you still feel frustrated, boxing is not for you.

How did you possibly come to this conclusion?

Move gyms, sure. Nothin wrong with that. Doing something you don't enjoy doing? Why.

Because I enjoy the fights. And Id probably go crazy without having something/someone to punch on a regular basis.

Back