Becoming Disillusioned with Training (amateur boxing)

They are just trying to make you better,you should appreciate them rather than whinge about it .

It is not exactly trying to make him better with cookie cutter advices, you know.

Since I don't know your coaches/team's style, My 1st guess is that they are trying to push you outside of your own comfort zone. If you feel like you're more knowledgeable than them, then it's time you go to a different gym/coach.

Honestly my coaches are putting me off training anymore. Giving me unrealistic expectations like you need to punch faster and harder like im not already trying. Or getting pissed off at me because my hands arent glued to my forehead. They also seem to think I should be steamrolling everybody in sparring for some reason too despite not being a big puncher and ignoring how I like to box. Its mentally exhausting trying to please them. Just constant in my ear about "hands up" or "be quicker". Theres no arguing either because they know best. I dont even like training anymore I just go so I can be in decent shape for fights.
Unless your hands are up when they say it, it sounds like they are trying to help you get better.

Perhaps you should ask them to say please when they correct your mistakes? You don't get better by sitting back and being in your comfort zone.

Its not a comfort zone. Im literally trying to punch faster but I just dont see how Im supose to magically be faster because they are telling me to.

You might have graduated. Could you give your coach trouble in sparring for reasons other than physical fitness? If not, then shut the hell up, punch quicker and keep your hands up.

I don't believe in negative reinforcement.. So if coaches were getting pissed off at me for not being fast enough or whatever, I would find a different gym if possible.
IMO it's possible to coach people with a positive attitude and still correct mistakes.

It sounds like you just want them to sit back and worship you TS.

They're just trying to help you to get better.

Just quit, sounds like you want to.

I would quit today but boxing is my self destructing vice. If i quit boxing I will become a raging alcoholic or drug addict.

And I dont enjoy boxing. But when you are 140lbs you need some self defense skills until you can get a gun. Does anybody actually enjoy boxing? I much prefer to spend my night at a club getting pissed.

You might have graduated. Could you give your coach trouble in sparring for reasons other than physical fitness? If not, then shut the hell up, punch quicker and keep your hands up.

What does that have to do with it? Pacquiao could whoop freddie roach. Doesnt mean he has to fire him as a coach.

TS, I was with you until this:

I would quit today but boxing is my self destructing vice. If i quit boxing I will become a raging alcoholic or drug addict.

And I dont enjoy boxing. But when you are 140lbs you need some self defense skills until you can get a gun. Does anybody actually enjoy boxing? I much prefer to spend my night at a club getting pissed.

Really? I think you'll find that just about everybody on this forum, at least those who train, do so because they enjoy doing it. Even when it sucks, the parts that are good are good enough to make all the pain and effort worthwhile. In fact, I think you only really enjoy something if you're willing to put yourself through some serious shit to do it. If you really want to quit, you should.

That being said, I don't have a problem with you placing some of the blame for your current frustration on your coaches. It sounds like the other guys in this thread have either had good experiences with trainers, or think that what you're describing is the only way to teach boxing, but I understand your frustration. It sucks to have a coach who isn't really trying to teach you, especially when it comes to things like throwing you into sparring, letting you figure shit out on your own, and then claiming credit for the results. Or putting you on the bag and criticizing things like handspeed and "rhythm" without actually telling you how to improve those things.

I've been through that, and I know it's shitty, and it really can discourage you from training. If you do enjoy boxing, and just don't like boxing here, then I'd ecourage you to find another gym and/or another coach. If you truly do hate it, though, then it's best for you to quit.

TS, I was with you until this:

Really? I think you'll find that just about everybody on this forum, at least those who train, do so because they enjoy doing it. Even when it sucks, the parts that are good are good enough to make all the pain and effort worthwhile. In fact, I think you only really enjoy something if you're willing to put yourself through some serious shit to do it. If you really want to quit, you should.

That being said, I don't have a problem with you placing some of the blame for your current frustration on your coaches. It sounds like the other guys in this thread have either had good experiences with trainers, or think that what you're describing is the only way to teach boxing, but I understand your frustration. It sucks to have a coach who isn't really trying to teach you, especially when it comes to things like throwing you into sparring, letting you figure shit out on your own, and then claiming credit for the results. Or putting you on the bag and criticizing things like handspeed and "rhythm" without actually telling you how to improve those things.

I've been through that, and I know it's shitty, and it really can discourage you from training. If you do enjoy boxing, and just don't like boxing here, then I'd ecourage you to find another gym and/or another coach. If you truly do hate it, though, then it's best for you to quit.

I think I definitely have put myself through shit to box. Not drinking for weeks sometimes months at a time is bad enough. But the ass whoopings i took in sparring for the first 3 months were pretty bad. Id say those ass whippings would have made most people quit training. I see it all the time in the gym where they are never to be seen again after their first ass whipping.

I just think I stopped learning anything a long time ago at this gym. But then again I know for a fact that a lot of the gyms are just the same because Ive been there sparring.

4 choices:

Find a new gym

Quit

Suck it up

Talk to your coaches

/thread

I enjoy it, I'm not doing it for self defense. If I was looking for efficient self defense... I'd train with pistols and knives, which I do. Also, I chose to train boxing in the mornings instead of hitting clubs on the Vegas strip. Life is too short to be doing shit you hate.

I enjoy it, I'm not doing it for self defense. If I was looking for efficient self defense... I'd train with pistols and knives, which I do. Also, I chose to train boxing in the mornings instead of hitting clubs on the Vegas strip. Life is too short to be doing shit you hate.

Everyone has their own reasons for participating in a sport where your brain cells are at risk.

I do.

If you don't you should probably quit. And go to therapy instead. You have some issues with self image, fear, and addiction it seems.

I'm probably older than you but I'd rather spend 4 hours kickboxing than 4 hours at a nightclub.

To get a little more constructive, if your coach tells you to do something like be faster, and you honestly don't know how.......

Consider asking. How can I be faster? Perhaps there is something you could be doing with your footwork or hip movement, or some hand speed drills, something.

If its self defense your interested in then there are still plenty of other weapons apart from guns that you could use with more effect and less effort then boxing(or any other martial art for that matter) .
You should try an activity you enjoy then maybe you will feel differently to being instructed or advised to perform better in it .

Back