Becoming Disillusioned with Training (amateur boxing)

I do.

If you don't you should probably quit. And go to therapy instead. You have some issues with self image, fear, and addiction it seems.

Fair enough.

I dont agree that I should quit. I definitely have mental issues but as far as Im concerned I dont need go to any therapy. Im not harming anyone, Im not drink driving or anything. I honestly thought everyone that gets into boxing competitively has some sort of mental issue.

I think I definitely have put myself through shit to box. Not drinking for weeks sometimes months at a time is bad enough. But the ass whoopings i took in sparring for the first 3 months were pretty bad. Id say those ass whippings would have made most people quit training. I see it all the time in the gym where they are never to be seen again after their first ass whipping.

I just think I stopped learning anything a long time ago at this gym. But then again I know for a fact that a lot of the gyms are just the same because Ive been there sparring.

Alright, you lost me again. "Not drinking for weeks sometimes months at a time is bad enough." Really? I haven't drunk more than a few glasses in a night since last November, and that pretty much only happens on holidays when I let myself cheat on my diet. It's not that hard to stop drinking, and if it is for you then seek professional help, because you're an alcoholic.

You're making sense when you talk about your gym experience, but you start to sound really childish and whiny when you talk about your overwhelming need to go clubbing and get fucked up. I don't understand how getting shitfaced could be that important to someone, but if it really is more important to you than boxing, quit right now.

Edit: Also, what shunyata said. If your coach isn't telling you how, ask him. The worst that can happen is that you'll find out that he actually doesn't know what he's talking about.

This thread turns out to be weird. I remember when i was able to train i was genuinely having fun, in between arguing in here and absorb what Sinister try to teach me. TS, if i were you, quit. There's no point of trying to do something you dont want to. And no, last time i check i dont have any psychological issue.

Alright, you lost me again. "Not drinking for weeks sometimes months at a time is bad enough." Really? I haven't drunk more than a few glasses in a night since last November, and that pretty much only happens on holidays when I let myself cheat on my diet. It's not that hard to stop drinking, and if it is for you then seek professional help, because you're an alcoholic.

You're making sense when you talk about your gym experience, but you start to sound really childish and whiny when you talk about your overwhelming need to go clubbing and get fucked up. I don't understand how getting shitfaced could be that important to someone, but if it really is more important to you than boxing, quit right now.

Edit: Also, what shunyata said. If your coach isn't telling you how, ask him. The worst that can happen is that you'll find out that he actually doesn't know what he's talking about.

Getting shitfaced is absouletely a priority. First thing I do after my fights finish is go shower and head to the pub. It makes it that much better too when I abstain from it cus i have a fight and then when that first drink hits my throat. wow.

And no Im not quitting. I dont even see how that is an option but it seems to be the main theme of this thread.

I would quit today but boxing is my self destructing vice. If i quit boxing I will become a raging alcoholic or drug addict.

And I dont enjoy boxing. But when you are 140lbs you need some self defense skills until you can get a gun. Does anybody actually enjoy boxing? I much prefer to spend my night at a club getting pissed.
sounds like boxing isnt for you. you'd probably be better off getting your frustration out lifting weights or slamming and throwing sandbags around. And that'd help your 140 lb problem too.

Most of us in here love the sport of boxing, and learning the intricacies so we can incrementally improve. The more you learn, the more you realize how technical and deep it is so you're probably just better off quitting now.

Getting shitfaced is absouletely a priority. First thing I do after my fights finish is go shower and head to the pub. It makes it that much better too when I abstain from it cus i have a fight and then when that first drink hits my throat. wow.

And no Im not quitting. I dont even see how that is an option but it seems to be the main theme of this thread.

Having read your posts here, I imagine your issues lie with yourself. not your coaches.
I couldn't have a single drink the entire of Christmas, even Christmas Day, cause the nationals were on in January. None of the kids up the club could have any easter eggs/sweets for their holidays cause they were clashing with their nationals, and to be honest it's a lot harder for 11/12 year olds to give up that stuff than it is for an adult to give up the luxury of booze. No one complained, we just did it.
Boxing is tough, coaches can't be patting you on the back pretending it's all lovely when really it's one of the toughest, loneliest sports out there.
And also, everyone gets beat up for the first three months of sparring, until you learn.
Also stop moaning about a coach telling you keep your hands up, that's what he's there for, to protect and train his boxer

sounds like boxing isnt for you. you'd probably be better off getting your frustration out lifting weights or slamming and throwing sandbags around. And that'd help your 140 lb problem too.

Most of us in here love the sport of boxing, and learning the intricacies so we can incrementally improve. The more you learn, the more you realize how technical and deep it is so you're probably just better off quitting now.

Lmao at lifting weights. No thanks Im good. And Im not sure how throwing sandbags around is going to help me win my next amateur fight

How do you determine if boxing is for you or not? Im not a big tough guy that thinks hes hot shit. Boxing historically has been a sport for the little guy despite the popularity of the heavyweight division. Im just not following your train of thought about why I should quit. I mean ive won more fights than ive lost. Im not at a point where i should just quit.

Having read your posts here, I imagine your issues lie with yourself. not your coaches.
I couldn't have a single drink the entire of Christmas, even Christmas Day, cause the nationals were on in January. None of the kids up the club could have any easter eggs/sweets for their holidays cause they were clashing with their nationals, and to be honest it's a lot harder for 11/12 year olds to give up that stuff than it is for an adult to give up the luxury of booze. No one complained, we just did it.
Boxing is tough, coaches can't be patting you on the back pretending it's all lovely when really it's one of the toughest, loneliest sports out there.
And also, everyone gets beat up for the first three months of sparring, until you learn.
Also stop moaning about a coach telling you keep your hands up, that's what he's there for, to protect and train his boxer

Oh theres no doubt as far as im concerned its the toughest sport there is. Im not moaning about that. Its just you can only recieve the same advice for so long before you stop improving and learning new things.

Lmao at lifting weights. No thanks Im good. And Im not sure how throwing sandbags around is going to help me win my next amateur fight

How do you determine if boxing is for you or not? Im not a big tough guy that thinks hes hot shit. Boxing historically has been a sport for the little guy despite the popularity of the heavyweight division. Im just not following your train of thought about why I should quit. I mean ive won more fights than ive lost. Im not at a point where i should just quit.
You're answering your own questions! You don't want to quit. You want a pat on the back which you're unlikely to get so you'll just have to deal with that. And you need to address your booze issues, they're quite likely a source of your issues with the difficult training regimen and weight cutting routines

You're answering your own questions! You don't want to quit. You want a pat on the back which you're unlikely to get so you'll just have to deal with that. And you need to address your booze issues, they're quite likely a source of your issues with the difficult training regimen and weight cutting routines

Im not asking for a pat on the back. Just to learn something new. I dont have issues making weight anymore. I moved up a weightclass.

.....How do you determine if boxing is for you or not?..... I mean ive won more fights than ive lost. Im not at a point where i should just quit.

Winning or losing isn't any ones issue the fact that you say you don't enjoy it is,and is probably why you seem to have taken exception to some fairly innocous comments "harder,faster keep yer fucking hands up" probably wouldn't cause this drama if you were more into it .

Fuck all the people saying he has a problem with drink.

I smoke or drink or train everyday. I need something to tire me out or mute my mind to be totally happy. It's down to how much base level stimulation or arousal your brain has. I can go without any of them and have for years at a time, there's no addiction, that's for pussies.

Know thyself.

As far as OP goes, maybe try another gym or try another discipline. I got kickboxing, boxing and judo. Keeps shit interesting.

I don't know, I guess that just makes you sound... boring? I realize that sounds insulting, but if you genuinely feel like you need to drink or smoke to be satisfied, you're kind of admitting that you're not okay with just being yourself, which is a problem.

What does that have to do with it? Pacquiao could whoop freddie roach. Doesnt mean he has to fire him as a coach.

Because Freddy Roach can't sign his own name with a crayola marker on a dry erase board. I said if PHYSICALLY you didn't best your coach, would his tactics and strategies beat yours? If yes, then he's got stuff left to teach you.

TS, it's hard to determine if your problem is with boxing or with boredom. You sound like a thrill seeker. Boxing training becomes monotonous and boring. If you show up nuked because you went on a 3 day bender over the weekend, ate like shit, slept like shit, and put yourself back a week... you're coach is probably frustrated with you for not showing normal signs of improvement.

If boxing is the only thing keeping you from getting fucked up (and I can relate, I'm a fan of chasing the dragon myself... not like your cute little drinking problem) you need to spend some time in the face of coaches who can coach you through THAT. You can't rest the weight of your troubles on a coach who is there only for the reason of furthering you in the sport. Be a big boy, make your own decisions.

This thread turns out to be weird. I remember when i was able to train i was genuinely having fun, in between arguing in here and absorb what Sinister try to teach me. TS, if i were you, quit. There's no point of trying to do something you dont want to. And no, last time i check i dont have any psychological issue.

Yes you do.

I'm not quite following what's going on in this thread. After it's gotten a bit long, what I'm seeing is a kid who possibly has some confidence issues feels he isn't getting anything from the WAY his trainers are attempting to train him.

And everyone's essentially calling him a pussy for disagreeing with the way they approach training him.

Yet I know at least three posters in this very thread who have moved from one Gym to another for that exact same reason. If he's a pussy, then y'all were, too.

At the end of the day if you feel like you're not clicking with the trainers, then you're not clicking with the trainers. There's no shame in that. Move to another Gym, and perhaps hold off training until you can so that things don't just fester with negativity.

Fuck all the people saying he has a problem with drink.

I smoke or drink or train everyday. I need something to tire me out or mute my mind to be totally happy. It's down to how much base level stimulation or arousal your brain has. I can go without any of them and have for years at a time, there's no addiction, that's for pussies.

Know thyself.

As far as OP goes, maybe try another gym or try another discipline. I got kickboxing, boxing and judo. Keeps shit interesting.

This.

45449649.jpg

I dont know why people are acting like I have a drinking problem.

I've NEVER had a drinking problem, but I did have a Police-intervening-with-my-public-fun problem for a few years.

I've NEVER had a drinking problem, but I did have a Police-intervening-with-my-public-fun problem for a few years.

I know that feel. Its called Drunk and Disorderly in the UK and it comes with an annoying fine you have to pay.

Yes you do.

I'm not quite following what's going on in this thread. After it's gotten a bit long, what I'm seeing is a kid who possibly has some confidence issues feels he isn't getting anything from the WAY his trainers are attempting to train him.

And everyone's essentially calling him a pussy for disagreeing with the way they approach training him.

Yet I know at least three posters in this very thread who have moved from one Gym to another for that exact same reason. If he's a pussy, then y'all were, too.

At the end of the day if you feel like you're not clicking with the trainers, then you're not clicking with the trainers. There's no shame in that. Move to another Gym, and perhaps hold off training until you can so that things don't just fester with negativity.

Well.....shit.

In my defense, when i read his posts following the OP he said things about him forcing himself to go to train, doesn't feel like it is fun, think that anyone who does boxing must have some psychological issue to find it fun, and changing gyms is not an option when he had sparred in all of them. At that point the only option in my head i thought of was to quit. Granted it was 2 am in the morning so i probably didn't thought it through.

Back