Battle of the best boxing gloves: Cleto Reyes vs Winning

I have so many gloves at this point and I have a special pair on the way. Maybe when i get to the usa to visit the family I'll get some retes but not anytime very soon.

Sounds like a good plan.

Nice comparison.

I've been harbouring thoughts for a while now to go either Cleto or Winning, and so, two weeks, I went for 16oz Reyes Velcro. But when I got them, I just didn't love them. And for the money, I want to love them!

But for me, I thought the wrist was too large & padded, and was concerned that they knuckle was a bit too firm for sparring, so quickly decided they were not for me and sold them on.

I've now upped the ante and ordered 16oz Winning Velcro. I'm a bit apprehensive about the wrist strap which doesn't look great, but can't wait to try them out. I used to think it was crazy to spend this kind of money on gloves - it's not really going to make me a better boxer! - but I feel as if I'm past the point of no return!

good review, mucho gracias!

Great review thanks. I am getting a pair of 14oz black velcro Winning from Tokyo. Tried them on once, the fit is exceptional! Can't wait to get them into training! Pics coming soon

Nice comparison.

I've been harbouring thoughts for a while now to go either Cleto or Winning, and so, two weeks, I went for 16oz Reyes Velcro. But when I got them, I just didn't love them. And for the money, I want to love them!

But for me, I thought the wrist was too large & padded, and was concerned that they knuckle was a bit too firm for sparring, so quickly decided they were not for me and sold them on.

I've now upped the ante and ordered 16oz Winning Velcro. I'm a bit apprehensive about the wrist strap which doesn't look great, but can't wait to try them out. I used to think it was crazy to spend this kind of money on gloves - it's not really going to make me a better boxer! - but I feel as if I'm past the point of no return!

Well let me ease your worries by saying winning and reyes gloves are almost opposites of each other. If you don't like the Reyes then theres a good chance you will like winning.

EDIT: clarification

Last edited:
Great review thanks. I am getting a pair of 14oz black velcro Winning from Tokyo. Tried them on once, the fit is exceptional! Can't wait to get them into training! Pics coming soon

Would love to see pics!

xpanur.jpg

Voila! I bought these in a martial arts shop in Tokyo. Had great service! After I chose the gloves, the lady kindly told me that I could get my name on the gloves for free I I wait 5-6 days.

Also here is a picture of the shop display with all their Winning gear! Enjoy!

157hrpk.jpg

Last edited:
Love the pictures, the review and both brands! :wink:

xpanur.jpg

Voila! I bought these in a martial arts shop in Tokyo. Had great service! After I chose the gloves, the lady kindly told me that I could get my name on the gloves for free I I wait 5-6 days.

157hrpk.jpg

Wow!! Wish they have something like this in the States! (Maybe not because I would buy all the store!!) Not surprised you have such great service!

UPDATE. Holy cow. Wearing my Reyes gloves tonight I was punching nonstop (often hard) on the bag for my personal record of 58 minutes. My hands weren't sore or numb at all and in fact i played three pickup games of basketball afterwards. These gloves are for real. #champion

Wow!! Wish they have something like this in the States! (Maybe not because I would buy all the store!!) Not surprised you have such great service!

They do. You should go visit Kazamichi on the west coast, tons of gear.:D

Thanks for the review, always interesting to hear people's thoughts as they get into the fight game. I personally prefer Winnings though concede Reyes offer great value in the US. One thing's for sure, growing up as a teen I'd have loved either rather than the bricks my opponents and I were forced to use.

Last edited:
Thanks man. We're both right, just our preferences is all.

One thing's for sure, growing up as a teen I'd have loved either rather than the bricks my opponents and I were forced to use.

You mean a towel wrapped around the hands and some duct tape? :icon_chee

xpanur.jpg

157hrpk.jpg

hi sorry , this is a post from last year, but may you share the address or the name of this shop in tokyo ? I'm visiting Japan and would love to visit this store...much thanks in advance

Best place to get Winning gear in Tokyo is Imaoka Boxing Gym and is very close to the train station at Shibuya, which is a very cool part of Tokyo. If you look it up on Facebook, Imoaka even have a map of their location. There's a sports shop, Center Sports, on the second floor of the building and they give 10% off the advertised price of Winning. FS Martial Arts mentioned above was expensive, they charge full price plus he then adds TAX, bloody dear, even cash couldn't get a discount.

Best place to get Winning gear in Tokyo is Imaoka Boxing Gym and is very close to the train station at Shibuya, which is a very cool part of Tokyo. If you look it up on Facebook, Imoaka even have a map of their location. There's a sports shop, Center Sports, on the second floor of the building and they give 10% off the advertised price of Winning. FS Martial Arts mentioned above was expensive, they charge full price plus he then adds TAX, bloody dear, even cash couldn't get a discount.

thanks a lot for the suggestions.. will go check it out when in tokyo!

Back