Battle of the best boxing gloves: Cleto Reyes vs Winning

ThomasSonshi

Orange Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When people talk about the best boxing gloves, two names tend to come up: Cleto Reyes and Winning. Aren't these #1 and #2 boxing gloves analogous to the #1 and #2 boxers Mayweather and Pacquiao? Yes. Yes they are. (Can't wait for May 2!)

For this review, I am using my newest Cleto Reyes and Winning additions, models E614S (in gold) and MS600B (in red), respectively. This review is to settle the score (at least for one man) on which gloves are better.

(1) LOOKS - Reyes
Reyes gloves are clearly more impressive in looks than the no-frills Winning gloves. For example, take a look at the straps:

CBPfbhtUgAACxk8.jpg

CBPfbnGUIAAI5ui.jpg

Reyes's straps have full embroidery while Winning has nothing but a plain piece of leather that doesn't even have serged edges.

(2) STITCHING - Tie
Both seem to go the extra mile in their stitching. Reyes has more complex stitching but Winning uses heavier gauge thread. Both use double stitching throughout. Both these puppies are going to last!

Note: I had to cut a few excess thread sticking out of my Reyes gloves. Not a big deal but it's strange that quality control wasn't better. Not sure if it's just my gloves or an overall problem with Reyes so I will give them the benefit of the doubt here.

(3) LEATHER - Tie
Both use very supple leather, so soft that the gloves can barely stand up by themselves when placed on the table.

(4) LINING - Tie
Reyes claims the lining is moisture resistant but both air dry perfectly fine in about the same time. Unlike Hayabusa which uses an anti-microbial lining to reduce odors, neither brands' lining is exceptional.

CBPe_j8UwAAuTo-.jpg

CBPe_lGUgAIC7J4.jpg

(5) WRIST - Tie
Reye's padding runs all the way around the wrist, while Winning is only at the back. Reyes also has an elastic band to keep your hands in place. Winning has none. Simply put, Reyes puts more effort into wrist protection than Winning. HOWEVER, when I'm punching I don't feel any difference in wrist protection. Both seem to do the job equally well despite more features from Reyes. Also, the fit at the wrist for Reyes isn't natural for me at all. If you have long chicken skinny forearms, then they might fit you better.

(6) THUMB - Winning
Although Reyes' thumb has holes for better ventilation, Winning's thumb is its killer feature. The thumb's shape is closer to a real thumb, more refined, and less clunky than most brands' gloves including Reyes. And when you put on the glove, the thumb fits perfectly and feels incredibly nice.

CBPfjEgVAAAJePm.jpg

CBPfjPeUkAAnb1N.jpg

(7) FINGERS/FIST - Winning
While Winning's killer feature is the thumb, its charm offensive is when you clench your fist. Wow! The fit is exceptional. Closing into a fist in these gloves feels so natural and soft that I believe you don't have to break in Winning gloves. They are good to go right out of the box. In other words, unlike some boxing gloves, you don't have to strain when you clench your fist to punch. So when you combine this advantage with the thumb, Winning has a great one-two punch in knocking out Reyes.

(8) PADDING - Winning or Reyes
I say Winning or Reyes because this depends on what you are looking for. If you're looking for more hand protection, choose Winning. But if you're looking for more snap, speed, and feedback when you punch, then choose Reyes. Reyes' reputation of not giving you hand protection is exaggerated -- it gives me wonderful hand protection. Conversely, Winning's reputation for being pillow gloves is exaggerated. Although it gives me more hand protection than Reyes, I feel like it provides me no greater protection than my new Yokkao gloves at 3x less the price.

(9) THE PUNCH - Reyes
Does it really matter how well a set of gloves is made if you don't enjoy working out with it? The purpose of putting on boxing gloves is to protect your hands, but the goal of exercise and sports is to have fun! Punching in Winning gloves has a thud feeling on the bag instead of the snap I get from Reyes gloves. I also seem to punch faster with Reyes gloves. In fact I believe my Winning gloves are among my slowest gloves. On a personal note, I accomplished my personal record of 50 minutes on the bag of punching non-stop with my Reyes. No music. Nobody around. Just the sound of leather to bag. It wasn't tiring. It was pure joy.

(10) PRICE - Reyes
To me price should be the last factor in your decision choosing gloves because the purpose is protect your hands. A set of gloves, no matter how pricey, is not more expensive than hand surgery or more costly than hand pain. However, it can be a factor if all other factors are equal. My special edition Reyes gloves was $200 and my Winning gloves was $325. Are Winning gloves 30% better than Reyes? No. Therefore, Reyes is a better value.

CONCLUSION - Cleto Reyes
I put a premium on the feel of the punch. However, if you value fit and comfort more, then you should go with Winning.

Do you agree or disagree? What has been your experience with Cleto Reyes and Winning gloves?

Last edited:
Excellent comparison and pics!!!! Those gold Reyes are beautiful. I have Reyes and ma very impressed with them....especially the smell of the leather. I do not own Winnings nor will I probably ever buy a pair(1 pair of Winnings = 2 pair of Reyes in price).

You wear gold gloves to the gym?

You must be a great boxer

Awesome review. Reyes gloves are something I've never had the chance to try. At some point I want to get a pair.

Both pairs look unused.

Anyway both brands are amazing.

Excellent comparison and pics!!!! Those gold Reyes are beautiful. I have Reyes and ma very impressed with them....especially the smell of the leather. I do not own Winnings nor will I probably ever buy a pair(1 pair of Winnings = 2 pair of Reyes in price).

If you're happy with your Reyes, then you won't be missing Winning. You will be disappointed in spending twice the price for not twice the benefits. Now if you're someone else who's unhappy about Reyes (doesn't fit, uncomfortable), then Winning might be the ticket (fit, comfort).

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
You wear gold gloves to the gym?

You must be a great boxer

LOL! No, I'm a terrible boxer. But after awhile you're bored with the same old same old and start to add a little bling bling in your workout. Although, at my gym, nobody has ever made fun of me for wearing these shiny gold gloves. :icon_chee Bottomline, I do what makes me happy and couldn't care less about anyone making fun of my gear even if he/she did.

Awesome review. Reyes gloves are something I've never had the chance to try. At some point I want to get a pair.

Thanks man. If Reyes is something you want to try, then do it. I give you permission! ;)

Both pairs look unused.

Anyway both brands are amazing.

Thanks man. Both have 3 hours of bag time each as I rotate my gloves. As mentioned in my review, they are my newest additions to show initial quality and what someone would expect in his/her purchase.

EDIT: Also, this would be a great time to talk about glove maintenance. I wipe down my gloves after every 30 min session and let them air dry. No heat! Open up the straps and never leave them in your gym bag. If you work the bags as often as I do, rotate your gloves to allow sufficient time to dry. Never use them if you feel they are still wet. Allow at the very least two days from my experience. A small bag filled with cedar chips is a fine idea but I find it unnecessary since I don't think the wood chips soak as much moisture as air flowing through over time. If the gloves are leather, on occasion lightly apply (wipe off excess with paper towel) a layer of vaseline to keep them soft and shiny. Designs if any are going to rub off over time. This only adds character to your gloves. The design on my pair of Hayabusas is now faded after two years of use but still looks great imo. However the goal isn't to keep them looking new but to keep the materials that protect your hands from breaking down prematurely.

Last edited:
Oh that's an awesome review man! I always wanted to compare these two amazing brands.

One more thing that I've noticed from your pictures is that Cleto Reyes 14oz are bigger and bulkier than Winning 16oz, is that correct?

Oh that's an awesome review man! I always wanted to compare these two amazing brands.

One more thing that I've noticed from your pictures is that Cleto Reyes 14oz are bigger and bulkier than Winning 16oz, is that correct?

Glad you liked my review man. I wouldn't say the Reyes is larger but it's about the same size despite its lower rated weight. In fact the 14 oz Reyes FEELS heavier than the 16 oz Winning. Go figure.

Aren't Reyes gloves almost always 2oz heavier than their label weight?

Aren't Reyes gloves almost always 2oz heavier than their label weight?

at least, I recently sold a pair of 16oz that both weighed over 18oz, and currently have a pair of black 12oz that weigh in at 15.7oz and 17.2oz, pretty pathetic.

Is it some sort of illusion or is the left Reyes glove 50% bigger than the right?

Is it some sort of illusion or is the left Reyes glove 50% bigger than the right?

LOL! Nah it's just how the right glove was set and angle of camera. If you look at second picture, now it looks like the right glove is actually slightly larger.

You might need to visit another country to get a pair.

I have so many gloves at this point and I have a special pair on the way. Maybe when i get to the usa to visit the family I'll get some retes but not anytime very soon.

Back