Bas Sub/jiu jitsu

i have no idea who he trained with and i dont know weather it was Gi or No gi

BUT

i am 100% positive that No Gi is better for mma by far and also No Gi is better for regular self-defense in the real world.....saying that what is Gi training good for? Gi training is good for Jui Jitsu Gi tournaments ONLY nothing else!!!

in closing No Gi is the more practical way to train unless your training for a jui jitsu GI event.

People wear clothes IRL

That is why the gi has been used in martial arts for a long time. It simulates clothing.

You=mad dumb

BUT

i am 100% positive that No Gi is better for mma by far and also No Gi is better for regular self-defense in the real world.....saying that what is Gi training good for? Gi training is good for Jui Jitsu Gi tournaments ONLY nothing else!!!

in closing No Gi is the more practical way to train unless your training for a jui jitsu GI event.

Rediculous. How many people do you meet in public who are not wearing clothes?

Bas is a submission artist?? Never thought much of his ground game. He is a fine striker though.

BUT

Where do you train?
How long?
With who?

Wow, its funny cause I went from no-gi to gi, and I've found that gi teaches all that no-gi does and a lot more. So if you have clothes on the street use them, if not, you can go to no-gi stuff.

BUT

Dude must train/live/work at a nude beach or something.

i'd find it very hard to name one dominant nogi grappler who has never trained in the gi.

the differences are overrated. do you know what over/underhooks are? no gi really focuses on clinching. it won't be hard to be proficient at no gi once becoming profiecient training your basics in one. there's no reason you cant train both.

but as far as i know catch wrestlers don't use the gi and i'd say that's an effective form of self defense when combined with striking.

i'd find it very hard to name one dominant nogi grappler who has never trained in the gi.

the differences are overrated. do you know what over/underhooks are? no gi really focuses on clinching. it won't be hard to be proficient at no gi once becoming profiecient training your basics in one. there's no reason you cant train both.

but as far as i know catch wrestlers don't use the gi and i'd say that's an effective form of self defense when combined with striking.

But saying that "catch is effective" isn't the same as saying "BJJ with the gi is ineffective." It's just plain ignorant to say that training with the gi is ineffective.

Dude must train/live/work at a nude beach or something.

my point was that you can over/under hook someone wearing long/short sleeve or no shirt or anything, whereby gi training limits your grips towards only long sleeve thick material. and i believe that no gi training is better for training for mma

also i find that people training gi bjj get really defensive when someone talks about the advantages of no gi over gi

my point was that you can over/under hook someone wearing long/short sleeve or no shirt or anything, whereby gi training limits your grips towards only long sleeve thick material. and i believe that no gi training is better for training for mma

Perhaps me supporting the affirmative to either point is a bit premature on my part, but I believe my point is the least likely to limit ones progression.

If you train equal days per week. Lets say 2 Gi, and 2 No-Gi, if No-Gi is the best, you get exposure to No-Gi and you will train the 'best form for mma.' If gi is the best, you get exposure to gi. But most importantly, perhaps Gi and No-Gi compliment each other, in which case, giving you a greater result than training either or.

If you train No-gi exclusively, or with a heavy bias to it, and it turns out it is the best for training mma, then you are in the clear. If it turns out that the former point of the above paragraph is indeed true, pascal would say you "lose infinitely."

So really, you're playing a game of numbers, unless you have a concrete, arguement winning substantiation of your premise.

also i find that people training gi bjj get really defensive when someone talks about the advantages of no gi over gi

why are you trolling every thread with your "i am 100% certain that no-gi is better than gi, even though i have never done gi" rhetoric, i as well as others am getting tired of it quickly

why are you trolling every thread with your "i am 100% certain that no-gi is better than gi, even though i have never done gi" rhetoric, i as well as others am getting tired of it quickly

i admit i was a little extreme in some previous posts i apologize that was unnessary, but i guess my main points of concern (observations) on gi and no with respect to self defense would be gi grips limit techniques given the attire of the attacter, be it short sleeve or shirtless compared to no gi where no gi grips are the same; also with respect to mma training i observe that no gi would be better then gi because you are not wearing a gi in the mma bout. personally i am heavy into wrestling and the sport of submission grappling, so insted of going between gi and no gi grips i will just stick to no gi.

But saying that "catch is effective" isn't the same as saying "BJJ with the gi is ineffective." It's just plain ignorant to say that training with the gi is ineffective.
i should have put more words into it. i wasn't saying bjj with the gi is ineffective, i was just saying you cant say that nogi is not effective. kinda confusing.

personally i like nogi better because i'm using the bare minimum of tools to manipulate and control my opponent. the major drawback to nogi training is that you get very slippery and less technique is required to escape. the advantage to the gi would be nogi's weakness where you can be sweaty as a pig and your opponent can still hold you without necessarily using your sleeve/pants due to the fact that theres still a substantial amount of friction, forcing you to use technique to escape

you can still approach your gi training without using the collar/belt/sleeve to manipulate your opponent. no one says you HAVE to use those techniques. it's all in how you train that makes the bigger difference

people get defensive because they hate idiot trolls like you talking as if they know what theyre talking about. unless your a blackbelt, you dont know what is more effective, and you write it as if your helio gracie or something "100%"....LOL....

No Gi may translate better to MMA as there are no shirts, but like others have said, in a street fight there will always be something to grip and choke with.

BUT

this dude has a quote of dean lister in his sig. so i'm assuming that he's a fan of dean.
does he realize that dean lister got his start training with a gi and still does. that goes for all the top grapplers out there.
don't really care wether gi or no-gi is better, i train both. but the majority of the top no-gi grapplers in mma still train with the gi.

i admit i was a little extreme in some previous posts i apologize that was unnessary, but i guess my main points of concern (observations) on gi and no with respect to self defense would be gi grips limit techniques given the attire of the attacter, be it short sleeve or shirtless compared to no gi where no gi grips are the same;
Your problem is that you are limiting yourself. Your toolbox is only half full. If you never learn the gi game you will never learn the chokes, sweeps, reversals, escapes, etc. that are particular to the gi game. To say that the "no-gi game is better" is like saying it's easier to build a house with half the tools available. The gi grips don't "limit techniques given the attire." They give you additional tools if the attire is there.

also with respect to mma training i observe that no gi would be better then gi because you are not wearing a gi in the mma bout. personally i am heavy into wrestling and the sport of submission grappling, so insted of going between gi and no gi grips i will just stick to no gi.
Then you go into "mma"...an arena that 99.9% of us will never enter. The other 99.9% of us live in the real world where most people we meet will actually be wearing clothing. In these cases it's would be an added benefit to know how to use that clothing to our advantage. If they aren't wearing clothing there are still many things we can do. If they are wearing clothing our options have just increased whereas you will not have a clue as to how to take advantage of those extra options. Again, our toolbox is full, yours is half empty. It's unfortunate that you believe that learning half the game is better than learning all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back