Bas Sub/jiu jitsu

Legendnutz

White Belt
Reaction score
After Bas lost to Ken Shamrock via knee bar, he said he trained extremely hard 2-3 times a day on submissions, then after that he beat the next 6-7 fighters via submissions. It seems to me that Bas is very highly knowledgable in submissions.

My questions:

1. Who did Bas Rutten train with or learn from submissions/jiu jitsu?

2. Did he train with Gi/No Gi? Which is better for MMA

althought I dont doubt that bas is great with the submission game, a lot of his pancrase wins were works.

and as far as the gi/no gi topic goes, MAKE A SEARCH

althought I dont doubt that bas is great with the submission game, a lot of his pancrase wins were works.

Bas neither competed in any worked fights nor was he ever asked to.

And TS: Bas trained for six months with Funaki before his first fight with Ken, so he had already begun learning submissions as early as 1994 and with a phenomenal submission fighter in Funaki. After that, I'm not sure who he was training with. I know he trained with Larry Papadopoulos for a while.

he trained at the pancrase dojo in the mid 90s with his friend Leon van Dijk. they went to japan early before their fights and would take notes on what the other guys were doing. i dont know who headed the dojo at the time but thats supposed to be where he initially got his ground game from

I think the fact that he won by submission also has a lot to do with the fact that striking was limited in Pancrase. Open hand only I think? Sure he knocked some guys out that way but it was probably easier to just set them up with some strikes and then submit them.

I think the fact that he won by submission also has a lot to do with the fact that striking was limited in Pancrase. Open hand only I think? Sure he knocked some guys out that way but it was probably easier to just set them up with some strikes and then submit them.

It was open-hand to the head and closed-fist to the body. Bas worked very well within the Pancrase rule-set, using the palm strikes to the head effectively (see Bas/Yanagisawa I, Bas/Frank III, and Bas/Funaki II) while also setting up brutal body shots (see Bas/Fuke I, Bas/Suzuki I, Bas/Inagaki, Bas/Delucia III).

The reason he won by submission so much was that he didn't have good TD defense. If he had the sprawling ability of Mirko or Chuck, he surely would've had a lot more KO victories, but since he was fairly easy to takedown, he would just acquiesce and work on submitting his opponent, which he also happened to be very good at.

After Bas lost to Ken Shamrock via knee bar, he said he trained extremely hard 2-3 times a day on submissions, then after that he beat the next 6-7 fighters via submissions. It seems to me that Bas is very highly knowledgable in submissions.

My questions:

1. Who did Bas Rutten train with or learn from submissions/jiu jitsu?

2. Did he train with Gi/No Gi? Which is better for MMA

i have no idea who he trained with and i dont know weather it was Gi or No gi

BUT

i am 100% positive that No Gi is better for mma by far and also No Gi is better for regular self-defense in the real world.....saying that what is Gi training good for? Gi training is good for Jui Jitsu Gi tournaments ONLY nothing else!!!

in closing No Gi is the more practical way to train unless your training for a jui jitsu GI event.

get raped much? thats probably the only time an attacker would be naked.

gi grappling not good for self defense? LOL

In closing, you are an idiot.

BUT

i am 100% positive that No Gi is better for mma by far and also No Gi is better for regular self-defense in the real world.....saying that what is Gi training good for? Gi training is good for Jui Jitsu Gi tournaments ONLY nothing else!!!

in closing No Gi is the more practical way to train unless your training for a jui jitsu GI event.

lol

BUT

Training background please. Flames pending.

He he, it's always funny to see some guy getting trashed after some dumb comment, as much I hate the sherdog crowd effect.

BUT

I guess judo is worthless for self defense also

I also guess that the best BJJers on the planet still train in Gi's(as well as No-Gi) just for the fun of it, and cuz they look badass too eh?

^^^^^
Gotta check ur rachmaninoff.

Prokof's Dance of the Knights is pretty grandiose I find. Although I've heard it too much.....

^^^^^
Gotta check ur rachmaninoff.

Prokof's Dance of the Knights is pretty grandiose I find. Although I've heard it too much.....

The Rach is badass. Typical Rachmaninoff written on the topic of nostalgia(for what i'm not sure. Possibly his father's estate in Novgorod).

Well guess according to Mr. nogi's logic we should train naked, like the Greeks. Of course this might lead to some of the ancient Greeks other bad habits.

I was a bouncer back in the day. I can't count how many times I used a guy's jacket or shirt to control someone on the bar floor to out to door. Saying the Octagon is the only real world is a bit short-sighted.

Back