Bas Rutten is the most underrated heavyweight of all time

top 10 GOAT HW? HW has historically less fighters at the top, so it could be possible to maybe squeeze him in at the bottom.

No way. There are easily dozens of more accomplished and more talented HW fighters.

This took 3 seconds:
Fedor
Nog
CC
Barnett
Stipe
Cain
JDS
Werdum
DC
Arlovski
Sylvia
Kharitonov
Reem

There are a dozen other guys who have better wins/fought much more relevant and "modern" competition, they just didn't have the same historical impact as Bas so it is hard to place him.

Do many consider Ken Shammy a top 10 HW GOAT? Only in terms of history maybe. That should answer any question of if Bas is top 10.

Bas' main problem in terms of recognition is that his era as an active fighter was largely in Pancrase and more or less before the big Pride/UFC heyday. Had he been a bigger competitor in either of those orgs, later on, he would be much more well-known today (yes I know about the Randleman robbery). If nothing else, he's one of the pioneers of early MMA, along with Ken, Royce, Ruas, Severn, Taktarov, et. al.

Last edited:
Bas Rutten had 3 legit MMA bouts the rest were Pancrase and many against Japanese who took dives

my boy brock is the most underrated of all time.

he would kill ngannou and stipe.

If Bas is in there, Ken Shamrock would have to be.

I forget which fight it was but Ken subbed him like 9 times. Bas had to grab ropes to have the hold broken until Ken finally sunk it in the middle of the ring.

I met Bas and love the guy, but there's more than 10 HW's that come to mind when putting together an all time HW list.

As much as I like Ken, I honestly don't see him in there, either.

They both were definitely rounded fighters very early in the game.
Back then bas didnt know all the BJJ etc. He learned it because of those losses and was way better than ken. At that time it was the equivalent of Royce beating guys because they knew shit about BJJ.

You cant help when someone disses Jones about anything can you? You get anxiety LiL ShiLL
lol. it's a retarded comment. it's hilarious that you would take issue with my lol and not the ridiculous comment i was replying to.

lol. it's a retarded comment. it's hilarious that you would take issue with my lol and not the ridiculous comment i was replying to.
LiL ShiLL in the house! Do you know Jones personally or just go through his rubbish?

Love the bas. Funny AF too. Actually has some acting skills. His version of the " snoopy dance" in Here comes the boom was memorable.

LiL ShiLL in the house! Do you know Jones personally or just go through his rubbish?
you seem to have mental problems......

again, you're commenting on my replying to one retarded comment. i haven't posted anything about jones recently but you seem triggered at one lol at a stupid comment. which seems to imply some mental imbalance on your part.

you seem to have mental problems......

again, you're commenting on my replying to one retarded comment. i haven't posted anything about jones recently but you seem triggered at one lol at a stupid comment. which seems to imply some mental imbalance on your part.
So you do go through his rubbish. Do you find empty baggies or vials?

Well, he definitely isn't a heavyweight. He's a great fighter, but certainly not a heavyweight, unless I'm missing something. Pancrase didn't have weight classes during his time there and you can't always trust their reported weights because they were fairly casual about it, sometimes exaggerating fighter's weights or using old weights but I don't think he was ever bigger than what would be called a light heavyweight.

One of my favs and a Karate pioneer in MMA.

People haven't heard of Bas? mma has finally become like hip hop then

Back